Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5k day before HM?
Quote | Reply
I'm running the BAA half marathon in a little over two weeks. The race is on a Sunday, and I was thinking of doing a 5k the day before. The 5k is in the town I teach in and would be fun to do, as some former/current students are running.

So, would the 5k take much out of me for the HM? As a point of reference, PRs are 17:33 and 1:20.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 5k day before HM? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I'm running the BAA half marathon in a little over two weeks. The race is on a Sunday, and I was thinking of doing a 5k the day before. The 5k is in the town I teach in and would be fun to do, as some former/current students are running.

So, would the 5k take much out of me for the HM? As a point of reference, PRs are 17:33 and 1:20.

C'mon Nate, with PR's like those you already know the answer ;)

Seriously I'm sure someone on ST has done that sequence before, following......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
use the 5k as race pace shake out for the HM? or go all out for a PR at both, but probability of failure at one or both increases
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is probably highly individual. If I raced a 5k the day before a HM my legs would not feel fresh enough on Sunday to perform optimally. I'm 6'2" 180 though so my legs take it a bit harder than smaller folks.

If you're just running for fun and with some students, why not make it a tune-up run and just cruise it at 20 minutes or over? I've run with my wife the day before a big race at her pace and had good performances the day after.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

Only 1-2 min faster PR than you across those distances. If you are hoping to have a good or great half, I would NOT "race" the 5k. Go out for a leg loosener, enjoy your personal ties and camaraderie, take it easy on the 5k. Then stretch and kick your legs up for the rest of the day, go out and crush the half the next day!! I know personally, if I really raced the 5k, I would not likely have a good half the next. My $0.02...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

The only reasonable way to do the 5K is at easy training run pace (7min/mile) as a fun run.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything short of walking the 5k will waste the energy you need for the 1/2. Either throw down at the 5k and do the 1/2 for fun or skip the 5k and focus on the 1/2. If you are fast for both, you ain't been trying hard enough!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are just trolling.....

and I am being nice.

natethomas wrote:

Last edited by: windschatten: Sep 23, 16 22:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

I don't think it would take much out of you, but you could pick up an injury, niggle, not worth it. My big 70.3 of the year has a 1km open water race the day before, which I do, but I think more chance of getting injured with a 5km run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For someone at your level that's a silly question to ask.

Do you think world elites would consider this approach?
Quote Reply
Re: 5k day before HM? [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
natethomas wrote:

C'mon Nate, with PR's like those you already know the answer ;)

Seriously I'm sure someone on ST has done that sequence before, following......
\\

Jogging/cruising the 5K with a few a 100m surge every kilometer is probably a perfect day before the half marathon. Racing the 5K is also fine if you want to cruise the half marathon probably in the 1:25-1:30 range depending on how trashed you are after the 5K. Just don't expect to have PR's at both (could get injured trying)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that this last Feb and had a double PR
Did the 5k on Sat at 19:16 and the HM the next day at 1:33:xx.

I will say that even though I PR'd both races, I would be under 1:30 for my HM without the 5k the previous day. The 5k, raced, is a very violent and explosive run. I cramped at mile 10 in the HM but gutted it out 1 min/mile slower for the last 3 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: 5k day before HM? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I may skip the 5k. Run fitness isn't quite what it would be if I was in pr shape. Did a 14 mile run today with the middle 10 at a 6:25 avg. - this was more of a marathon training run for Philly in 9 weeks. I'd guess I'd be around 1:21-1:22 at current fitness.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol. I wish I was that slow. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BAA 1/2 rolling hills, i would want my legs at full power. Jog the 5k with as Dev said couple of 100m strides. I would imagine the BAA 1/2 is the goal, so don't jeopardize the goal over the local 5k? Man our 5k PR are the same but i have not been able to get a 1/2 marathon below 1:26. Best of luck.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 5k day before HM? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
You are just trolling.....

x2
Quote Reply