Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 90 day Fiancee [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure about that?

The US has more immigrants per year then any other country. However we are somewhere in the middle of the list as far as percentage of immigrant population.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: 90 day Fiancee [aironagstring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Immigration, both legal and illegal overall, has been on the rise in this country. See this data from last year.

Anecdotally speaking, I have three neighbors directly around me that are first generation immigrants (India and somewhere in the Balkan region, don't recall where, don't know them well) and many others that are immigrants in our neighborhood and almost all have children born in the U.S. Immigration is alive, well, and necessary in the U.S. It's a matter of smartly managing it, which is an entirely different matter to debate.

aironagstring wrote:
You're country hasn't been a country of immigrants since WW!!. Except for the visa and marriage exceptions........Viva la David Duke!!
Quote Reply
Re: 90 day Fiancee [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What caused the spike in the early 90s? Fall of the Soviet Union?

Bosnian war? I know we have a ton of people in our area that came here either right before or during the Bosnian war. That was 92-95. I still walk into a few local stores around here and get "Jurich....I know Jurich" You have to say that with the right accent in order for it to sound right :-)

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: 90 day Fiancee [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Immigration, both legal and illegal overall, has been on the rise in this country.

Well the American Economy has been doing "So well" in the last several years that Illegal immigration has actually been going down because it's easier to get jobs at home.

Best wall possible...a really shitty economy :-)

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: 90 day Fiancee [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I could have worded that more clearly. By the "overall" I meant our total immigrant population of both illegal and legal mixed.

You're correct--contrary to popular, knee jerk belief, Mexican illegal immigration has been voluntarily shrinking.

MJuric wrote:
Immigration, both legal and illegal overall, has been on the rise in this country.

Well the American Economy has been doing "So well" in the last several years that Illegal immigration has actually been going down because it's easier to get jobs at home.

Best wall possible...a really shitty economy :-)

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But I think the question is how many terrorists come into your country. That seems to be very important to your "constituents"!

How porous are you're borders, when anyone can just hook up with a corn-bred mid-western ho??? And then be full blooded U.S of A?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Team Off Constantly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be worth giving an actual response when you can differentiate between your & you're and when you can present some sort of fact-based or reason-based argument rather than stereotype and conjecture. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

aironagstring wrote:
But I think the question is how many terrorists come into your country. That seems to be very important to your "constituents"!

How porous are you're borders, when anyone can just hook up with a corn-bred mid-western ho??? And then be full blooded U.S of A?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about you're last three bombers were divorcees who then went on to try on kill and kill multiple true blooded amercans?

Team Off Constantly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aironagstring wrote:
How about you're last three bombers were divorcees who then went on to try on kill and kill multiple true blooded amercans?

Is there a glue leak near you now?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 90 day Fiancee [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was responding to the post where he said the U.S hasn't been a country of immigrants since WW 2 but the number of immigrants later was far higher than the war years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/...-Permanent-Residents

Cool website. Posting the graphic for reference. Too bad the numbers aren't normalized for population size, 1830-1929 saw a gigantic influx. As a percentage of total population, the number of legal immigrants has been lagging. The most interesting and depressing part (with parallels for today) is the complete closing down of immigration in the wake of the Great Depression. History repeats itself....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What caused the spike in the early 90s? Fall of the Soviet Union?

The chart I posted is just legal immigration and in 1990 a new Immigration Act was passed to increase the number of skilled workers. It increased the annual green cards from 50,000 - 140,000.

I think illegal immigration also increased in the 1990's, mainly from Hispanics.

Quote Reply
Re: 90 day Fiancee [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are horrible misreading the graph. The immigration downturn happens during the great depression. It doesn't rebound until well after WWII is over which, you know, makes sense since I highly doubt countries involved in World Wars are going to allow a lot of immigration...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aironagstring wrote:
What has all of this nonsense to do with Danielle and Mohammed. You began a thread about a very entertaining show only to side track to this? Stay on track about the tv clowns.

Quote | Reply
Sorry, I',m a little bipolar about these issues. Mohammud, Miliania, what's the difference. Great entertainment!!

Team Off Constantly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's interesting. I'm not at all sure how the government vets people who move here then get married. A couple I know is married, it's valid, they live together, having a child this winter, etc. They've had to jump through all kinds of hoops to prove it's a legit marriage, going so far as bringing vacation pictures to one of their meetings to show what they had done together. Meanwhile I know someone else who's sister is in a total, 100% green card marriage. They don't live together, he's actually gay, they only got married so he could stay in the country. How does that slip through???

I don't know, I just find it strange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think you are horrible misreading the graph. The immigration downturn happens during the great depression. It doesn't rebound until well after WWII is over ...

How? I said that immigration plummeted during the Great Depression (it did). Extremely low immigration obviously continued through WWII, but not doing a full analysis of the entire graph is hardly "misreading" it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most interesting and depressing part (with parallels for today) is the complete closing down of immigration in the wake of the Great Depression. History repeats itself....

You did not say "immigration plummeted" claim that it was a "complete closing down", as in some government action caused them to limit the amount of immigrants in.

I was simply pointing out that immigration likely dropped due to "natural" causes. Not that it was closed down from the inside as you stated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was responding to the post where he said the U.S hasn't been a country of immigrants since WW 2 but the number of immigrants later was far higher than the war years.

I know. I was trying to make the point that there are two ways to look at the term "Country of immigrants". You can look at the number of people immigrating to the country or you can look at how large of the population of immigrants to natural citizens there are.

The US has the largest number as far as raw number of immigrants but only has ~14% of it's population that are immigrants. Other countries have smaller actual numbers of immigrants but a significantly larger percent of the population.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said that immigration plummeted during the Great Depression (it did). Extremely low immigration obviously continued through WWII, but not doing a full analysis of the entire graph is hardly "misreading" it.

Well this is what you actually said...

The most interesting and depressing part (with parallels for today) is the complete closing down of immigration in the wake of the Great Depression. History repeats itself.

I really see no parallels at all. Immigration plummeted during the depression for what most would call obvious reasons. You don't immigrate to places that have massive unemployment and collapsing economies you emigrate from those places.

I see no such similar trend today as the graph shows above average numbers of immigration.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: 90 day Fiancee [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
It's interesting. I'm not at all sure how the government vets people who move here then get married. A couple I know is married, it's valid, they live together, having a child this winter, etc. They've had to jump through all kinds of hoops to prove it's a legit marriage, going so far as bringing vacation pictures to one of their meetings to show what they had done together. Meanwhile I know someone else who's sister is in a total, 100% green card marriage. They don't live together, he's actually gay, they only got married so he could stay in the country. How does that slip through???

I don't know, I just find it strange.

Evidence - joint bank accounts, pictures, mail, utility bills, kids, length of relationship, etc.

There is an interview after you file. How you come across in that interview can mean a lot. The ICE officer makes a lot of subjective decisions. If you are from an area of the world that has a lot of fraud the requests are more, come from Canada or the UK and look and act like someone from the US and you can skate. If the people don't seem to know each other, don't seem like a match, or somehow gives the officer pause, it is going to be tougher. There isn't anything like in movies and TV where they ask how you have sex, what toothpaste, etc. It isn't really very hard usually to find the frauds. We turned away a lot of clients who were obvious frauds.

2 years later you can apply to have conditional status of your green card removed. Still being married and pumping out a couple kids makes that a breeze. You can be divorced, but the hoops multiply rapidly. I got one client through whose husband dumped her immediately upon moving here from China. But she could show a huge wedding, that she quit a good paying job in China, mail from him apologizing for screwing her over, etc. He drove her to his house from the airport, told her on the way there he had someone else, never spent a night with her. Real peach of a guy.

Your demeanor and how you come across is enormous.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 90 day Fiancee [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
The ICE officer makes a lot of subjective decisions. If you are from an area of the world that has a lot of fraud the requests are more, come from Canada or the UK and look and act like someone from the US and you can skate.
Makes sense...the legit couple I spoke of, the husband is from South Africa. The fake couple, the husband is from England. They probably 'passed' the initial interview and just aren't under any scrutiny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aironagstring wrote:
uhhh.....okay. Thank you for you're concise observations!!

No problem. You get exactly the amount of return effort that your posts deserve.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next