Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: School me on power washers and chainsaws [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stihl 16" chain saw will do anything you want. Buy a 16" saw that CAN use a 18" bar if you choose later down the road.

Go to northern tool and equipment... They are also online. Good deal for pressure washers. Buy a Honda engine. The pumps on the models at northern are good, but of you see a CAT pump, that's the best.

I have a landscape company and I also own rental houses. I have a stihl saw that never let us down for about i10 years. My saws get lost or stolen before they ever break. I have 2 pressure washers and 1 is over 15 years old and used in my business. Still works great. Can't go wrong.

Saw is probably $350 and pressure washer $500

Remember you get what you pay for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New after the weekend - Pro Tip: After tuning up the chainsaw it cuts a lot better if you don't put the chain on backwards.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power washers and chainsaws [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha

i did that once. when i went to go cutting the chain just spinning away and no cutting going on. i'm like WTF! till i figure out my bonehead move. good stuff.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some really good advice on saws here already, but I'll add a couple of things:

There are only three brands (here in the States) that you should ever consider: Stihl and Husqvarna, like has been mentioned, and Jonsered. Choose by the dealer that is closest to you and has the best reputation. Mine is a Jonsered dealer, and it looks like a hole in the wall, but he takes great care of my saws and is cheap on the labor prices. So don't judge a book, I guess...

And yes, I said saws. The first one that I bought was a little 2054 (51 cc) when I first bought my house in '98. It still runs awesome, and I use it every weekend. But, I cut a considerable amount of wood (I currently have about 13 cord on the landing), and upgraded to a 2172 (72 cc) a few years back. It make the 2054 look like a toy. And is every bit as dangerous as it sounds.

That's where a good dealer come sin: they will guide you to the size saw that works best for what you're going to use it for, not just the engine size and bar length, but what size/type of chain to run. Those all work in concert with one another, and so they all need to be considered.

You should also purchase a good set of chaps and a helmet with ear muffs. Just handy and safe. (Don't run the saw without ear protection; that's just stupid.) But make sure you have a good pair of steel toed boots, as well - between logs rolling onto my toes, me kicking the wedge out of a tree while felling, etc., they really are the most necessary piece of safety equipment that I use. Gloves area also important, but you can generally use just whatever is comfortable.

Always read your entire manual that will come with the saw. Sounds stupid, but you really need to know everything there is to know about the saw prior to starting it the first time.

As my grandfather always said: "It isn't a matter of IF you get cut with a saw, it's WHEN and HOW BAD." Mine went through a pair of Dickies and laid two scratches along my thigh; I just do all I can to try to be safe while running 'em so that the really bad cut doesn't happen. But things happen fast in the woods: I almost killed myself (not hyperbole) a couple of weeks ago when I was maneuvering the tractor to push over a tree that had started to come back on me. Well, it snapped and came all the way back, landing right where I had been standing next to the tractor, clipping it and flipping it on it's side. Luckily, I am pretty fleet of foot, especially in the woods, and I heard it go. Otherwise, it would have landed on my head, and then the tractor would have been flipped over on top of me. It... wasn't a fun afternoon...

Good luck and stay safe.

- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power washers and chainsaws [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did that once. when i went to go cutting the chain just spinning away and no cutting going on. i'm like WTF! till i figure out my bonehead move. good stuff.

This must be a right of passage, I've done once as well. Same thing...WTF?! why is this thing not cutting!

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: School me on power washers and chainsaws [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a dude on this forum--can't remember his name but he got F'd up pretty good (as in months of down time and rehab) when the base of the tree kicked out unexpectedly on him.

Barber Chair. Watch some youtube videos on that. Freaky stuff.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
New house with a heavily wooded lot. I'm having professional tree guys take out 4-5 really big ones, but I plan to tackle 3-4 20 footers. I'll likely use the chainsaw 2-3 times yearly for lower branches after this. The electric chainsaws strike me as a bad idea...

As for power washers- have a large patio, plus a bunch of siding to clean. Thinking gas for sure here.

Any recommendations on either?

If you live somewhere where it freezes either ensure you get every drop of water out of the power washer or store in somewhere where it will not freeze. I ruined one by leaving it our shed over the winter and the pipes cracked where the hose attaches.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on power washers and chainsaws [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
I don't know power washers, but as others have said, the smart move is to go with gas for both options.

I'll also further BC's suggestion about buying only as much chainsaw as you need. Do yourself a huge favor and buy a quality brand, rather than one of the use and lose brands from the home improvement store. Husqvarna or Stihl are sure bets for quality. And since you probably won't be using it monthly, performing the simple 5 minutes of maintenance with each use will keep it in excellent shape for 15-20 years.

Couldn't agree more - a quality chainsaw can be fixed instead of disposed of. I got a Stihl and it eats through everything. Granted, I almost solely use it to cut the wood I use for BBQ, but the few times I've had to use it to clear trees (after a hurricane for example), it was better than anything any of my neighbors had bought like their Poulans etc (which do tend to be disposable).

twomarks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only thing I have on a chainsaw is Stihl has worked well for me. I received one as Christmas gift 10 years ago and it's still going strong.

On the power washer...pay for the pump. Most of the PWs you see at a big box stores have flimsy pumps. I spent decent money on a nice Husqvarna PW and have been very pleased. I use it on everything; house (amazing how dirty a house gets), autos, ATV, sidewalks, deck, and strangely enough, hard to reach bees nests.

Take care of them. Add the gas treatment between down times (winter for me). If you have large family/friends or close neighborhood, be prepared to make up excuses why you can't lend out. I had my first one returned with a burned out pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to have to disagree with some of you all on gas chain saws. Yes gas saws have more power but for the size trees he is talking about battery saws should do the trick. I have 40 acres on my homestead and hardly a week goes by that I am not trimming or cutting something. I bought the 20 volt black and decker chain saw and pole saw last year and it has been one of the best purchase I have ever made. Between the 2 batteries I can get about 3 hours of work with it. If I am going out to cut firewood I use my gas saw, but it just so much easier to recharge a battery, pop it in, and take off than it is to worry about always making sure you use fuel stabilizer or drain your tank each time. I am a believer in compost so I am constantly trimming and chipping downed trees, limbs etc. Even when I am cutting lumber on my sawmill I keep my battery saw with me to trim, etc. If you still need convincing go talk to someone at a small engine repair shop. Let them tell you how many people bring the same chainsaws and weedeaters in every year to have a carb either replaced or a carb kit installed. And for the type of work 98% of homeowners do all they really need is a battery saw. I also keep my elec saw inside my SUV when I am out on the site. I don't really care to have my gas saw inside my SUV.

http://timeoutdoors.blogspot.com/
Photo Blog - App Trail Thru Hike March - Sept 2009

Quote Reply

Prev Next