Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, that pretty much sums up MTB for me, haha.

Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
Make that shit tubeless, son!

20-21 psi feels like riding on clouds :p

For training, tubeless at that psi is definitely nice on some trails. On rocky trails where I live (Tucson) that type of pressure will get you a broken rim within the first 10 minutes of riding.

I do normally run tubeless all around on all my mountain bikes, but I was having trouble getting the tire seated on my front race tire so stole a latex tube from my CX bike and stuck some sealant in it.
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they were allowed you could probably get away with a CX bike on that descent, but you would likely lose lots of time to a competent mountain bike rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were really going to get into XTerra / XC racing I would do a 29er FS with 1X drivetrain and remote lockout for both Ft and rear on the handlebar.

The more I have ridden with my remote lockout I realize I change the ft suspension more than the front shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who shifts the front at all these days?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
If I were really going to get into XTerra / XC racing I would do a 29er FS with 1X drivetrain and remote lockout for both Ft and rear on the handlebar.

The more I have ridden with my remote lockout I realize I change the ft suspension more than the front shifting.

That reasoning is likely why maaaannnyyy of the fastest people run the Epic. The brain is an impressive piece of equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Penticton course was awesome and the scenery on the run is absolutely stunning! An incredible place for a destination race.....Good luck and hopefully you qualify!

BayDad wrote:
Also, a lot of times slightly faster is way better than a lot slower. Especially on drop offs etc.

I love mountain biking and was hoping to qualify for GBR for the Cross Tri in Penticton. Unfortunately living in NZ means the only qualifying race I can do is Xterra NZ, but that's after the cut off for entry/qualifying. Damn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

That reasoning is likely why maaaannnyyy of the fastest people run the Epic. The brain is an impressive piece of equipment.
I have a Camber Carbon Expert running the brain on the rear. And yes it's really impressive, I was a little dubious but loved it when I tried it and the more I ride the more I like it. Climbing is a breeze and not having to lock out the rear is awesome. Am also loving the extra travel the Camber gives me over the Epic.

CgyTriGuy wrote:
The Penticton course was awesome and the scenery on the run is absolutely stunning! An incredible place for a destination race.....Good luck and hopefully you qualify!

BayDad wrote:
Also, a lot of times slightly faster is way better than a lot slower. Especially on drop offs etc.

I love mountain biking and was hoping to qualify for GBR for the Cross Tri in Penticton. Unfortunately living in NZ means the only qualifying race I can do is Xterra NZ, but that's after the cut off for entry/qualifying. Damn.
Thanks - there's a few of my training group hoping to qualify for either long course or Cross tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The XTERRAs I've done have been by far the most fun triathlons (and the hardest). Not too long (3-4hrs), drafting in allowed :-), and the scenery is amazing. I know Kona is iconic, but the XTERRA Worlds venue in Maui is spectacular.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, in case you're interested in more descending...

Here is the video of the first descent of XTERRA Utah. This one is a bit more technical, but is really more about confidence than skill (until you crash).

https://vimeo.com/183866861
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing one next year...on a Trek Farley. Woohooooo.😆😆😆
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... (added another video) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really cool videos! I am going to race some Xterra tri's next season as I am stepping away from long course triathlon for at least a year or two. I bought a Specialized Epic Marathon with full XTR components like ten years ago and said I was gonna race Xterra. But, I got involved with Ironmans and 70.3's and ended up barely using the new MTB. Right after IMLP this year I got back out on it and have been having a blast. I'd love to race at least 2-3 Xterras next season. I am looking at Syracuse for sure but not too sure of others in/around the New England area?? Also, I've got 26'' wheels and I know most are using 27.5 or 29. Is there a huge benefit with the larger wheels for Xterra? The chances of me buying another new bike are very slim as I just bought a new CX this spring so I may just have to go with what I currently have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Also, in case you're interested in more descending...

Here is the video of the first descent of XTERRA Utah. This one is a bit more technical, but is really more about confidence than skill (until you crash).

https://vimeo.com/183866861

Noice, part deux!!

"until you crash" - that vid of the chick who wrecked hard was pretty epic.
Apparently she rallied and still finished, and did well.

They also showed some guy on the trail run faceplanting - I almost wondered if somebody strung some fishing line across the trail there, it seemed a bit *too convenient* that they happened to be 'rolling tape' when right when he happened to eat it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, she didn't finish. Went to hospital.
And there were cameras EVERYWHERE for particularly the front of the race. Also lots of easy to miss rocks while running. The race has been going on there for so long that I'm sure they've got it ironed out where the "best" footage is likely to come from, be it camera angle, back drop, ease of access, or, ya know, likelihood of somebody eating it.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... (added another video) [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribuck wrote:
Really cool videos! I am going to race some Xterra tri's next season as I am stepping away from long course triathlon for at least a year or two. I bought a Specialized Epic Marathon with full XTR components like ten years ago and said I was gonna race Xterra. But, I got involved with Ironmans and 70.3's and ended up barely using the new MTB. Right after IMLP this year I got back out on it and have been having a blast. I'd love to race at least 2-3 Xterras next season. I am looking at Syracuse for sure but not too sure of others in/around the New England area?? Also, I've got 26'' wheels and I know most are using 27.5 or 29. Is there a huge benefit with the larger wheels for Xterra? The chances of me buying another new bike are very slim as I just bought a new CX this spring so I may just have to go with what I currently have.

Is there a huge benefit? Ummm, sort of tough to tell...but most would probably advocate the bigger wheels being better. They certainly "feel" significantly faster. I would suggest racing on that next year, as it's a very nice mountain bike. Then you can kind of get an idea for yourself on what sort of parameters you would look for in a new bike as compared to your current bike.
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... (added another video) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 32 seconds in, you make a right turn next to a large rock.

When I was there in 2011 the guy in front of me stopped right there and fell over to his left and off the cliff. He landed in a thick pile of bushes about 50 feet down and was uninjured.

I called down to him and he said he was OK. I looked him up in the results and he finished 30 or 40 minutes behind me.
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... (added another video) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't played the video again, but I'm fairly sure I know exactly what you're talking about. Before I did this race for the first time last year, I watched the "recap" videos of one of the years prior. A cameraman was just beyond that right hand turn and caught some video of people nearly going off, but not actually going off. So in my head I was thinking about that section the WHOLE time I was racing in 2015. Luckily, it wasn't particularly sketchy to me...but I can see how if you come in with a lack of speed your day could go south pretty quickly...

Speed saves lives.
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... (added another video) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is that turn and a look down to where he fell to.

Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
I'm feeling a little burnt out on triathlon lately and my old training buddy has already made the jump to Xterra. I have an Orbea Oiz M20 on order to get into Xterra as well and I'm really excited to give it a try for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm a little nervous about trail running on a knee with some parts that aren't OEM but hopefully they aren't all as brutal as that river crossing at Xterra Richmond last year!

Cheers,

How has the Orbea Oiz worked out for you? Caught my eye recently.. considering a change in MTB bikes!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's kinda out-badassing me. Which may not take much at this point. But fewer pivots than some, all the components I required which other similar brands did not at the price (Fox Factory Kashima coating, for one), and simple colors and styling have made me happy everytime I ride it. I hope my post flu cough hack doesnt keep me from racing it this weekend!

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
No, she didn't finish. Went to hospital.

And there were cameras EVERYWHERE for particularly the front of the race. Also lots of easy to miss rocks while running. The race has been going on there for so long that I'm sure they've got it ironed out where the "best" footage is likely to come from, be it camera angle, back drop, ease of access, or, ya know, likelihood of somebody eating it.

It's highly likely she struck a rock with her pedal. I've had the same thing happened to me. It caught me out of nowhere and before I knew it I was planted on the ground bruised and confused. It also happened to enduro rider Ben Cruz during one of the Enduro World Series races a few years back. Now I do my best to avoid pedaling during rocky sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGyGq_Tu4M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No XTERRA races in the UK again this year :-(

Had been promised XTERRA Wales in June, but they pulled the plug on that a couple of weeks back. Need to get to work with the boss lady back home about another "holiday".
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm torn. On the one hand I love the supportive small crowd great vibe of XTERRA. But on the other hand I fear losing races due to low participation. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to try an Xterra at some point. I don't have great luck on my mountain bike, especially when I'm racing it. Crashing into trees, rock gardens and otherwise just hurt at over 40. It is fun to ride though and honestly a challenge vs. just pedaling down the road. That said I might be doing a 50 mile mountain bike race this weekend... rubber side down!
Quote Reply
Re: For those that haven't tried XTERRA... (added another video) [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribuck - Syracuse is fun, can be a bit "boring" on some of the grass areas. Swim is beautiful in Green Lakes! Climbs, first year anyway, are hike a bike (Trish did a change up for year 2) and it was ALL ridable. I liked the technical sections the first year better than the second. Run - single track craziness is fun! Flat second half is LONG.

I've been running 26" since 1989... went full squish after 40, just beats an old body up too much to have anything left for the run. :) XTERRA Mine over Matter in Canada is a 26" wheel dream, tight, twisty, quick...

Ride what you have and determine bike after viewing different race venues later. There are some courses I wished I had a 27.5 or 29 hard tail as a suspension was not needed. Then there are others you wish you had more suspension...

Bottom line... use what you have and HAVE FUN!

See you at Syracuse! Going to watch IMLP again? Trails there are a lot of fun as well!
Quote Reply

Prev Next