Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latest news! [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was only one significant difference between those who cohabited after engagement and those who did not cohabit premaritally.

Which was what?

As for looking at divorce, I guess this study might have been hampered in that respect by the fact that it was conducted only 10 months after marriage.

THe other thing was that this paper cited 3 other studies that said that that controlling for independent variables eliminated the significant relationship between cohabitation and marital problems. They were:

I'll check them out, especially as they appear in contradiction to the study I've already posted

I guess more to the point, though, is this- do they indicate that cohabiting is ever helpful to marriage, after controlling for variables?

And still more to the point, since I guess you still think my reasoning about the cause of the decline in marriage is all wet- to what do you attribute that decline?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Latest news! [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Christ, I'm talking about people who are choosing not to get married. You're not following because your logic is highly flawed. An attitude that marriage all about individual desires isn't going to prevent people from getting married."

If there is no intention to have children then it's not as crucial to get married. If a kid is born out of wedlock, it wouldn't be incorrect to call him/her a 'bastard'. The stigma is there perhaps society's way to stress the necessity of commitment from his parents.

If there are no kids then the only necessity for this level of commitment is to announce it to the world or to satisfy the female partner's natural instinct to want security. Women in general don't like long relationships without seeing that ring. Pragmatically, if there are no kids planned, personally I would prefer not to get wed. Any problems crop up ... sayonara, clean and easy.

I've been running down the road

tryin to loosen my load

seven women on my mind

four who want to own me

two who want to stone me

one says she's a friend of mine ....... Eagles - 'Take It Easy'
Last edited by: kangaroo: Nov 29, 05 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Latest news! [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relationships can be right at any age differences, small or big, either way. But for the most common natural relationships where the man is the dominant partner then it is advantageous to have a man more matured having the sureness that comes to most men only in their thirties. And the women young and nubile. Most in their early twenties are mentally matured enough to wed and physically prime to bear children.

Disadvantage if you marry your high school sweetheart is that you never get to sow your wild oats and this may be the source of infedelity later on ie 7 year itch. Polygomy is more inherent in the nature of the male of our species. Also as you age together with your partner, women tend to age faster than men, especially if they have kids. Particularly so if the man is an active sportsman.

I couldn't imagine being partnered to a 50 year old woman right now. But as they say, "Love conquers all!" My guesstimate is that it is more of an exception than a rule.
Quote Reply

Prev Next