Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: most pretentious rock song [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on how you define rock, I guess, but plenty of pretentious stuff from U2, the 90s alternative band Live was pure musical pretension, and the 80s group Midnight Oil was right there as well.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
U2 lost me when they became too pretentious, I still love the early stuff though. Same with REM.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Is that pretentious or delusional?

It isn't really rock, but Carly SImon's "You're So Vain" annoys the piss out of me. And the fact that she still thinks people care who the song was about is stupid. No one cared when it came out, 45 years later everyone who didn't care then is dead.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Pink Floyd (oops did I say that out loud)

Ok. This has bothered me and also the 2112 reference bothered me.

Here from Webster's is the definition of pretentious:

[quotehaving or showing the unpleasant quality of people who want to be regarded as more impressive, successful, or important than they really are][/quote]
So, in a sense I can see someone listening today to Pink Floyd or Rush 2112 and seeing it as pretentious. However, by definition, pretension must be viewed in term of the intention of the performer at the time. As I'm familiar with the Rush and Pink Floyd library, the history, and the personalities, I can't conclude that they were pretentious. I see them both as artisans pushing music into new frontiers, inspired not by personal pride, but by artistic impulse.

But I'll concede, that in the case of the Wall (Pink Floyd, especially Roger Waters) and Rush 2112, those two bands were veering close to the borders of pretension. However, with regard to the rest, pure artistry.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprised no one has mentioned Rick Wakeman with The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Great album with fine music and orchestration but......when time to get out the flowing robes and the band and perform it live.....with orchestra....and choir.....and choreograph it....and stage it on ice (no, not the drug but that would have explained a lot)....WTF????

Bonus points for Jethro Tull too with Passion Play, the follow up album to Thick as a Brick. Again, one 45 minute song, but The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles interlude midway through? How did Ian Anderson ever think he could get away with that?

Anything with Emerson Lake and Palmer terrorising Mussorgsky, Janacek, Prokofiev, etc, etc......with kudos for Emerson playing a rotating piano suspended in the air.....or sticking knives in keyboard and burning the Stars and Stripes while playing Bernstein's America with The Nice.

Deep Purple: Concerto for Group and Orchestra. Not sure what to say about that one.

Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans. Double album, four 20 minute songs based on Buddhist yogi's shastrik scriptures.

King Crimson......choose something from any album from the '70s. Go on, take your pick.

Pink Floyd: Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict. If only for the title.....actually the song is pretty out there too.

The golden days of prog. When it comes to pretension, Rush was late to the party.

Disclaimer: No guilty pleasures have been listed. On the contrary, I quite enjoy my CD collection without the slightest hint of remorse. ;-)
Last edited by: satanellus: Sep 23, 16 1:53
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:> definitive.

I forgot about Rick Wakeman in the robes and the hair. Jethro Tull was in the back of my mind when I posted. Both spectacularly pretentious.

Cat Stephens needs a nod for folky pretensions.

If there is a rap category, there is only one true King.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything from Meatloaf. Paradise by the Dashboard Lights in particular is ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Anything from Meatloaf. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" in particular is ridiculous.

a) The female vocals were provided by Ellen Foley who was dating Mick Jones of The Clash; "Train in Vain" and "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" were written about her

b) Phil
Rizzuto publicly maintained he was unaware that his contribution would be equated with sex in the finished song, but Meat Loaf asserts that Rizzuto only feigned ignorance to stifle some criticism from a priest and was fully aware of the context of what he was recording

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
:> definitive.

I forgot about Rick Wakeman in the robes and the hair. Jethro Tull was in the back of my mind when I posted. Both spectacularly pretentious.

I always thought Jethro Tull was an act in the same vain as Queen? It was over the top pretentious on purpose.

I find Rage Against the Machine to be pretentious in a different sort of way.
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I always thought Jethro Tull was an act in the same vain as Queen? It was over the top pretentious on purpose.

trigger warning: codpiece
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Depends on how you define rock, I guess, but plenty of pretentious stuff from U2,

In this sense, I define pretentious as meaning "if you don't like it, that's because I'm smarter and more worldly than you ... and you are an awful person who doesn't care about human rights"

Quote:

Bono Cannot Stop Writing About Himself

Bono. This guy. The guy from U2. But you probably know him for being the world's all-around best human. He's not just some rock star that groupies want to bang; he's some rock star who's always writing op-eds about Serious World Issues, which makes an entirely new set of groupies want to bang him.

While we agree with Bono's political views in the abstract sense, in the concrete sense, we would rather not read writing by Bono on any topic. Particularly because�no matter how weighty the topic�Bono's topic is always, fundamentally, Bono. Here's the very first sentence from his NYT op-ed today about World AIDS Day:

I'LL tell you the worst part about it, for me.

and so on

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot early Genesis

Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Surprised no one has mentioned Rick Wakeman with The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Great album with fine music and orchestration but......when time to get out the flowing robes and the band and perform it live.....with orchestra....and choir.....and choreograph it....and stage it on ice (no, not the drug but that would have explained a lot)....WTF????

Bonus points for Jethro Tull too with Passion Play, the follow up album to Thick as a Brick. Again, one 45 minute song, but The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles interlude midway through? How did Ian Anderson ever think he could get away with that?

Anything with Emerson Lake and Palmer terrorising Mussorgsky, Janacek, Prokofiev, etc, etc......with kudos for Emerson playing a rotating piano suspended in the air.....or sticking knives in keyboard and burning the Stars and Stripes while playing Bernstein's America with The Nice.

Deep Purple: Concerto for Group and Orchestra. Not sure what to say about that one.

Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans. Double album, four 20 minute songs based on Buddhist yogi's shastrik scriptures.

King Crimson......choose something from any album from the '70s. Go on, take your pick.

Pink Floyd: Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict. If only for the title.....actually the song is pretty out there too.

The golden days of prog. When it comes to pretension, Rush was late to the party.

Disclaimer: No guilty pleasures have been listed. On the contrary, I quite enjoy my CD collection without the slightest hint of remorse. ;-)

+1 for the most pretentious post on the most pretentious rock song. Well played.
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
satanellus wrote:

+1 for the most pretentious post on the most pretentious rock song. Well played.

Thank you.

Still chuckling at your comment. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked your post. I just assumed you wrote for Rolling Stone.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe not "rock", but in the adult contemporary category.

Barry Manilow's "Could It Be Magic" via Chopin's Prelude in C Minor.

Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" via Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto Number 2 along with his "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again" via Rachmaninoff's 2nd Symphony.

All songs that I like, but they can all be called pretentious.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:

Yep, you pretty much nailed it with the above...The only one I actually own is Thick as a Brick but I'm perfectly familiar with several of the others. In the days post-Sgt. Pepper, too many musicians thought they could do it, too...Witness the birth of prog. Nothing recorded since whatever the last album from ELP before the '70's ran out comes nearly close. But dang, at the time, this stuff sold like hotcakes for a while..

Thank you Ramones, SLF, Damned, etc. for saving rock...
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess there's a debate to be had about the difference between 'pretentious' and 'indulgent.' though they're often synonymous in rock.

anyway, as far as indulgence goes, it's tough to beat the edgar winter group's live version of 'frankenstein':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pnSSHwmu8I

it would've been more subtle (and probably quicker) if he'd just stood on stage and masturbated.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alltom1 wrote:
Yep, you pretty much nailed it with the above...The only one I actually own is Thick as a Brick but I'm perfectly familiar with several of the others. In the days post-Sgt. Pepper, too many musicians thought they could do it, too...Witness the birth of prog. Nothing recorded since whatever the last album from ELP before the '70's ran out comes nearly close. But dang, at the time, this stuff sold like hotcakes for a while..

Thank you Ramones, SLF, Damned, etc. for saving rock...

Even the most hardcore of ELP fans doesn't mention their final album of the '70s.....it's widely considered the Voldemort of prog.

Ironically, Nick Mason (Pink Floyd's drummer) produced a few of The Damned's albums.
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Maybe not "rock", but in the adult contemporary category.

Barry Manilow's "Could It Be Magic" via Chopin's Prelude in C Minor.

Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" via Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto Number 2 along with his "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again" via Rachmaninoff's 2nd Symphony.

Pachelbel's Canon in D ,,,, it's everywhere!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Anything by Styx.
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
love Styx!

as for the Germans, Rammstein is flying the flag; there are probably plenty more I've never heard of
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffa wrote:

Anything by Styx.

And it starts with the name.

________
Quote Reply
Re: most pretentious rock song [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
A Steve Vai song/video would be near the top of my list.

Well, he did study at the elbow of Frank Zappa who was know to have moments of pretension himself [all his "homage to Varese"-type shit]

Quote Reply

Prev Next