Prev Next
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cuisinart with the built-in grinder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/img]

I'm a timer guy too. Mr. Coffee has always worked pretty well for me. 30 buck range at Target.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

that's what I have, but there is no timer. you could have a separate timer if it was that much of an issue. time from start to pot is <5min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the same $25 Mr. Coffee maker for the last 15 years. Delayed timer and all.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect cup of coffee and not too difficult.

another X2 on the French Press.

I'll take a pass on the cinnamon! :)

We prefer a darker roast. Grind beans at home so they are fresh, into the French Press they go, perfect coffee in 4 minutes as you mentioned. FWIW - The French Press technique even passes the test with many coffee snobs!

This set up also travels well. We pack along even when flying somewhere a small electric kettle( if hotel does not have this in the room), and we can brew up in the hotel room, exactly as we do at home! We'll pre-grind a supply of coffee to travel with.

For example I am going to Interbike next week in Las Vegas. I'll take the small kettle and the French Press with me in my luggage, and brew up in my hotel room for morning coffee. Saving the massive wait at Starbucks, and some $$.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 14, 16 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Juan Valdez
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Juan Valdez

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks y'all. Based on this valuable feedback, Mr. Coffee just got a new customer.

Feel free to continue to talk amongst yourselves.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Cheap mr.coffee. I have had two over 8 years. Only reason why I replaced the original is because when my wife and I moved in together the white one didn't match the other appliances so I need to buy a black one.

Dude, that's racist.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Coffee makers with timers are pieces of shit. If it must have a timer, go buy the cheapest one at walmart as regardless of make you'll be replacing it in 2-3 years.

My morning goes like this:
- alarm.
- turn on coffee pot.
- drink coffee

You do #2 with a coffee in hand? That's dedicated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good coffee maker is called a secretary or a wife. In like, "Go fetch me a cup of coffee. And make me a sammich while you're at it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I will recommend Moccamaster.
https://www.amazon.com/...keywords=moccamaster

Review here
http://www.letsdripsomecoffee.com/...h-end-coffee-makers/[/quote]

I bought an earlier version of this coffee maker nine years ago after reading a review that it is "the absolute best home brew coffee pot around." One of the things in the review was that it brews so fast that it not having a timer wasn't a deal breaker. I have not been disappointed. Wake up. Push button. Four minutes later, drink great coffee.

Seemed a little pricy to me, but nine years in it still functions like the day I bought it.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yah, Already went down this raod with Duffy - see post #6. Once she's had a cup of coffee though, Mrs Wimsey does make a damn fine sandwich.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/...nts=p_89%3ACuisinart

We have a version of this. When ours crapped out a year or two ago the Mrs came home with it. She had the same parameters you have. Has worked fine. The only thing I don't like about it is the water reservoir is in a odd place and slightly small.

Pretty much the same one. have had it for about 5 years so far. used 250 days a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just went through this and wound up with an old school Farberware percolator style coffee maker. It doesn't have the timer, but you can buy one of those.

It makes great coffee and there's really nothing to break.

I highly recommend it.

twomarks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
SH wrote:
wimsey wrote:
is this the same as the moka pot that y_nigel recommended? Does it have a timer?

Hadn't heard that exact name, but that's what shows up when I put it in google... so I would say it is the same. There's no timer, but you can quickly recognize the sound of it finishing.

Thanks, but please see the requirements and my response to Duffy - timer is a deal breaker. My time is valuable, which is why I spend it in the LR getting non-responsive suggestions from the peanut gallery .

Fuckin' reading comprehension, eh?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
French press.

Good beans and you got perfect coffee every time.....

Well worth the 15 mins prep.

We have a diverse assortment of drip coffee makers at work, some high end with fresh grind and expensive beans......

My Thermos with coffee I French-pressed in the morning beats the machines all and every time....

Go ahead, ruin your day and stomach with crappy drip coffee....

Fleck wrote:
Perfect cup of coffee and not too difficult.

another X2 on the French Press.

I'll take a pass on the cinnamon! :)

We prefer a darker roast. Grind beans at home so they are fresh, into the French Press they go, perfect coffee in 4 minutes as you mentioned. FWIW - The French Press technique even passes the test with many coffee snobs!

This set up also travels well. We pack along even when flying somewhere a small electric kettle( if hotel does not have this in the room), and we can brew up in the hotel room, exactly as we do at home! We'll pre-grind a supply of coffee to travel with.

For example I am going to Interbike next week in Las Vegas. I'll take the small kettle and the French Press with me in my luggage, and brew up in my hotel room for morning coffee. Saving the massive wait at Starbucks, and some $$.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
I recently purchased a Toddy Cold Brew System. Mainly for the reduced acidity since I've been having heartburn issues and I don't want to give up coffee (if I can avoid it).

Anyone interested in cold brew, let me save you $30+. Take about a cup of coarse ground coffee and dump it into a 32oz Nalgene. Fill with water, stir thoroughly, cap and sit on the counter for about 12 hours. Then, just strain it through your coffer maker and then pour back into rinsed-out Nalgene. Easy as can be.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer coffee makers for drip coffee. Most don't get the water hot enough either. Best one is probably the Technivorm, expensive, but built like a tank. Also like the Bonavita, a bit less expensive, but still gets the water hot enough. Either one has such a simple design they should last a very long time.
Last edited by: stream26: Oct 21, 16 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I finally spring for one of these after my old one gave up the ghost.

Makes amazing coffee. Highly recommended.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
French press.

Good beans and you got perfect coffee every time.....

Well worth the 15 mins prep.

We have a diverse assortment of drip coffee makers at work, some high end with fresh grind and expensive beans......

My Thermos with coffee I French-pressed in the morning beats the machines all and every time....

Go ahead, ruin your day and stomach with crappy drip coffee....

I grabbed an Aeropress for work. It's faster than a french press and easier to clean up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is wrong with a cheap $10 coffee maker from walmart?

I don't think I've ever had to replace one, usually accidentally break them moving or they just get so old and grimy its time for a change.

I love a proper good coffee, big espresso fan, but also see the value in waking up to coffee already made. To me, good beans and a proper grind are more important then anything else when it comes to drop coffee.

French press? Moka Pot?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
What is wrong with a cheap $10 coffee maker from walmart?

I don't think I've ever had to replace one, usually accidentally break them moving or they just get so old and grimy its time for a change.

I love a proper good coffee, big espresso fan, but also see the value in waking up to coffee already made. To me, good beans and a proper grind are more important then anything else when it comes to drop coffee.

French press? Moka Pot?

What nobody got time for is responding to a post on a thread I started over a year ago, and noted later in such thread that I had made a decision on the coffeemaker issue after receiving advice and snark from the LR :)

To your question, the $10 Walmart coffeemaker just tends to break sooner than I want it to. Sure it's only $10, but then I'm out a coffeemaker at just the wrong time. I went a measly half step up and got a $20-something Mr Coffee on Amazon and it's been fine so far.
Last edited by: wimsey: Oct 9, 17 19:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next