Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
The Eagles with a Rookie QB from an FCS School
The Vikings who lost their starting QB used 2 QBs one of which was beat out by the Rookie from the FCS

Are you talking about Wentz in the bolded ? He didn't exactly beat out Bradford. Wentz was the third string QB before Bradford was traded and wasn't supposed to play at all this year. Well in theory he wasn't supposed to play.

And no I would not have guessed the Eagles would have been 3-0 regardless of who was their QB.

Well, the Eagles had Wentz and Bradford under contract, they traded Bradford before week 1, and Wentz has started the first 3 games. That sounds like "beat out" to me. There's certainly room for argument that there was a financial angle to it, but you can frequently make that argument in professional sports.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
It's Rex's Super Bowl.
Which means it'll be the Bills players' Superb Owl, too...which means they'll play undisciplined, stupid football.

Rex-coached teams can give the Pats fits, they have many times over. But they also have a propensity to shoot themselves in the foot and they've done that with just as much frequency. We'll see if this iteration of the Bills is any different but they're once again among the highest penalized teams to start this season so I don't know if much has changed.

As for the rest of the league, Dax has been impressive, as has Wentz. Time will tell if either of them are legit, it's a long season and a bad game or two has derailed many a young QB so we'll see. The Vikings have been the surprise team for me, so far...losing Bridgewater then AP I figured their season was sunk but their defense looks like an elite unit, if they can keep this up they'll be in the mix in what is looking like a more wide-open NFC than many thought. Carolina and Arizona don't appear to be the world-beaters many expected (far from it, in fact) and both GB and Seattle have shown some weaknesses so that conference may not be as top-heavy as many people expected. The AFC is playing out the way I expected it to: Denver and NE, with Pittsburg in the mix (the huge egg they laid against the Eagles notwithstanding). Baltimore has a soft schedule to start so I'm not buying them until they get to the meat of their schedule. Really, I don't think we'll have a great read on them until halfway though the year (@NYG, @NYJ, vs PIT weeks 6-8).

Main take-away through 3 weeks, for me: the AFC elites are mostly playing like it, the NFC elites have some catching up to do and that conference may be more of a crapshoot than people expected.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
Well, the Eagles had Wentz and Bradford under contract, they traded Bradford before week 1, and Wentz has started the first 3 games. That sounds like "beat out" to me. There's certainly room for argument that there was a financial angle to it, but you can frequently make that argument in professional sports.

Assuming the Eagles were confident that Wentz is their franchise QB for the next few years, then it should have been a no-brainer who to keep.
1. Bradford has a history of injuries
2. He's got an expensive contract
3. He's older and has less upside
4. He's no longer as 'marketable' as a young, unblemished QB
5. Bradford is a Chip Kelly vestige. Doug Pederson would rather be successful with his choice for QB than with Chip's

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Wentz only became starter because Bridgewater got hurt and the Vikings needed to make a trade for a QB. Had that not happened Wentz would not have even suited up unless Bradford got hurt. Granted there was a good chance that would happen. If he beat him out he would've been at least #2 on the depth chart with a plan to play this year. Which he probably should have been in the first place.

I don't know if I'd call it a financial decision since the Eagles paid Bradford an 11 million bonus to basically practice. I'd definitely call it a rebuilding move since they picked up a 1st round draft pick and created an excuse to let Wentz play.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Sep 27, 16 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you are the Rams you do not pick a QB with the 1st or 2nd pick of the draft and sit him.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Unless you are the Rams you do not pick a QB with the 1st or 2nd pick of the draft and sit him.

It's not the Rams, it's Jeff Fischer. He did the same thing with Steve McNair and the Oilers in 1995.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of the 4 games without Brady today's was the one I would have bet on an easy win and they're going to lose it playing absolutely terrible football.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Of the 4 games without Brady today's was the one I would have bet on an easy win and they're going to lose it playing absolutely terrible football.
I penciled in a loss for the game in Arizona, but who knew the Cardinals would be so mediocre this year.

But what was up with them in today's game? A home game vs. the Bills should have been an automatic win for almost any team, but for the Patriots to get shut out, ouch.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brissett just doesn't have the experience or skills needed to lead an NFL team yet. It's clear that he doesn't have the confidence to look past the first read. If Bennett wasn't open, he just took off. And the confidence from the coaching stuff is not that great either, to hand it off to Blount on that many 3rd downs. The accuracy of his throws is not NFL level yet either. I see promise, but he got put into a tough position. The bar is set high in New England. I'm not concerned about the loss, even if it was a shut out.

I'm not sure how they beat Houston 27-0 with Brissett throwing only 100 yards. Kind of a dice roll if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Week 1 discussion [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, the problem was fixed today I suppose.
Quote Reply

Prev Next