Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA for Verizon Customers
Quote | Reply

For anyone not interested in re-upping a contract and getting the new iPhone, it is still a good time to check your plan. I have four iPhone 6's on one plan with Verizon, think it was the "More Everything" plan. Was running $260 per month for 10GB's of shared data. Pretty effin expensive but there isn't much choice if you want Verizon. That broke down to $80 for the data, $40 per phone for line access and then the various fees and such.

Verizon has a new plan now that actually works nicely if you are the type to hold on to a phone for a while. If you are past your last contract that got you a subsidized phone, it works out. The new plan is $80 for 12GB of data, but if your phone is off contract, the line access drops from $40 per phone to $20 per phone per month, instant savings of $80 per month and you get more data. They also include rollover now and "Safety Mode" so if you do go over your data it just slows you down rather than automatically purchasing more for $15.

I couldn't hardly believe Verizon was willing to offer a plan that actually reduced costs, but I switched and it seemed to work out, I went from $260 per month to $160 per month. Worth a look if you are out of contract.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks for the tip. I also have four smart phones on the same plan with the same monthly cost. I'll check into this.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a new phone last month (caught in the rain with the old phone while riding) and was surprised that to sign up for a new plan with the same specs as our current one, the price went down about $10 or $15 per month.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [trigeek5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yeah I think a lot is changing since they are no longer "subsidizing" the purchase of a phone. Now you finance it monthly or pay cash. They would actually get $40 more per month out of me if I went monthly on 4 new phones, but we keep our phones for as long as possible so we should be able to save some money now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks

I'm in the same crappy 4 phone 10G for $$260/month. 3 iphone 6's and one older 5 that's eligible of an upgrade. I noticed I have three more "payments" to pay off the three iphone 6s. At $80/month savings I might just payoff the phones and go with new plan. I need to figure how quick I breakeven.

Trying to do in on the internet and figure out what your new bill is, take someone smarter than me. I hate their website when trying to upgrade a phone.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Thanks

I'm in the same crappy 4 phone 10G for $$260/month. 3 iphone 6's and one older 5 that's eligible of an upgrade. I noticed I have three more "payments" to pay off the three iphone 6s. At $80/month savings I might just payoff the phones and go with new plan. I need to figure how quick I breakeven.

Trying to do in on the internet and figure out what your new bill is, take someone smarter than me. I hate their website when trying to upgrade a phone.

Not sure how the "payments" setup would work. We paid cash for our iPhone 6's but it was supposedly the "subsidized" cash amount for signing a 2 year deal. Our 2 year deal is up so we were able to take advantage of the new plan. I assume if you are doing payments you have the Edge program, not sure if you can pay that off early or not.

Sure is nice to be down to a more reasonable amount of $160 though. $260 was/is insane, $160 is much easier to take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'll swing by tomorrow and see if I can work something out. (Currently, I'm paying about $220 per month for two smart phones and an old slide phone.)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Thanks

If you want to do it online you can just elect to change your plan first, then attempt to upgrade a phone after the fact. Since there is no subsidy anymore your only option to get a new phone is to pay monthly payments or to pay cash full retail. After walking through the process of changing plans it will tell you "a new plan deserves a new phone" and then give you the options.

I agree their website is typically a mess and hard to understand what you are getting yourself into, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was this time. There is a final review before anything is officially changed so you can go through the process to that point and it gives a good breakdown of the savings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
summitt wrote:
Thanks

Not sure how the "payments" setup would work. We paid cash for our iPhone 6's but it was supposedly the "subsidized" cash amount for signing a 2 year deal. Our 2 year deal is up so we were able to take advantage of the new plan. I assume if you are doing payments you have the Edge program, not sure if you can pay that off early or not.

Sure is nice to be down to a more reasonable amount of $160 though. $260 was/is insane, $160 is much easier to take.

No I just checked and it's the "more everything 10G" plan that we have had for almost two years. $80 for data then 4X$40 for each phone, (discounted down to $15/phone then they add back $25/month to pay for the phones. The plan expires at the end of the year and it shows I owe $100 left on each phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since they are no longer subsidizing the phone, and you have to pay for it either monthly or in a lump sum, what does having an "upgrade" get you? Per my web account I'm upgrade eligible on my old 5s, but it seems to me that everyone is upgrade eligible if they're wiling to spend the cash.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paying $100 a month for two smartphones with unlimited data and free international text and data with T-Mobile.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got on some promo during the Iphone 6 release. 10 GB plus 2 GB free. Now its cheaper than the regular 8GB plan.
Verzion guy had not clue when asking if there was a better plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to look deeper at the new plans, but we're on a grandfathered plan so what I glanced over with the new ones didn't appear to be beneficial for us.

However, we saved a whopping amount by upgrading my wife from an iphone 6 to a 7. They gave us $650 trade in for her 16 gig 6, broken up over 24 months; we did the 7 on the Edge plan, which knocks her line down $25/month, then the payment for the phone on top of it. After all was said and done, but trading her phone in and getting her a 128gig 7, our total bill will decrease ~$21/month. Taxes and upgrade fees eat up $66 of that up front, but basically it's like they're paying us to upgrade. If anyone is on the fence, has a 6, and is eligible to upgrade, the $650 trade in for a 6 may be the tipping point.

aarondb4 wrote:

For anyone not interested in re-upping a contract and getting the new iPhone, it is still a good time to check your plan. I have four iPhone 6's on one plan with Verizon, think it was the "More Everything" plan. Was running $260 per month for 10GB's of shared data. Pretty effin expensive but there isn't much choice if you want Verizon. That broke down to $80 for the data, $40 per phone for line access and then the various fees and such.

Verizon has a new plan now that actually works nicely if you are the type to hold on to a phone for a while. If you are past your last contract that got you a subsidized phone, it works out. The new plan is $80 for 12GB of data, but if your phone is off contract, the line access drops from $40 per phone to $20 per phone per month, instant savings of $80 per month and you get more data. They also include rollover now and "Safety Mode" so if you do go over your data it just slows you down rather than automatically purchasing more for $15.

I couldn't hardly believe Verizon was willing to offer a plan that actually reduced costs, but I switched and it seemed to work out, I went from $260 per month to $160 per month. Worth a look if you are out of contract.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were told by the sales guy at Best Buy when we purchased an iphone 6 for our son that once our phones are off contract (ready for upgrade) to call Verizon and ask for the $40/month fee to be reduced. It will not be automatically reduced. You have to call and request.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
worked for me, and it was pretty simple to figure out how to do it online. Saved $40 per month and getting more data.

Thanks to OP for taking the time to post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the Iphone 7 this weekend. there was a deal that if you trade in a 6s model you get the 7 for free. So I tried to immediately buy the 6s for a $100 less than the 7, then turn it it. Somehow that wasn't allowed.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garry wrote:
I was looking at the Iphone 7 this weekend. there was a deal that if you trade in a 6s model you get the 7 for free. So I tried to immediately buy the 6s for a $100 less than the 7, then turn it it. Somehow that wasn't allowed.

Wife and I actually went in and traded in our 6's for new 7+'s yesterday. Got the $650 for the trade in value for the old phones, was a pretty decent deal to get into some new phones and try out the big version. Unfortunately they don't ship till November, hoping that gets bumped up a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't know about the higher demand models, but i ordered mine September 15 and the delivery date was October 5 and they showed up on the 23rd.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Verizon Customers [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
don't know about the higher demand models, but i ordered mine September 15 and the delivery date was October 5 and they showed up on the 23rd.

I seem to recall the delivery date being much sooner when we bought the 6 than was estimated. Makes sense. If they promise November 23rd and then ship in mid to late October I am happy as a clam, if they promise October 5th and take till the 15th it generates phone calls of "where the heck is my phone".

Apple website says 3-4 weeks to ship so I am hopeful it won't take the two months they quoted.
Quote Reply