Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is also the bomb. Drink it however you like it.

Edit: I drink Anniversario in rum and cokes and cuba libres. This Diplomatico is more appropriate if you want to go neat.

Last edited by: SH: Sep 8, 16 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plantation

It's good.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [Fatmouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fatmouse wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

What last tri said.

Also, Plantation 20th and Vizcaya batch 21.

We have similar tastes apparently

Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

I just got a bottle of that as a birthday gift. Was going to post about it but couldn't remember the name. I'm not a big rum drinker, but holy crap that stuff is absolutely fantastic.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To enhance the tropical vibe, I sometimes throw a splash of the pineapple run into the Capt. Coco.

Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
To enhance the tropical vibe, I sometimes throw a splash of the pineapple run into the Capt. Coco.

Sounds perfect.

I did go buy a bottle of Zacapa today to try out this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Angostura 1919 from Trinidada and Tobago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Widely available and for drinking straight up - Matusalem Gran Reserve. Zaya was a good call also.
I have a friend who has "rated' all the rums at his bar for making rum and coke, and says that Lamb's Navy is the best.
Most of the best rums I have had were small distillery ones that were only available in that specific Carribean or Central American country. I can give you some suggestions for those, if you care.

Last tri in 83 - I will do my best to spread your fame via the Captain Coco. Sounds delicious.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Personal favorite is Sailor Jerry

Are you in college?

Phew, I thought I was the only one that thought it was out of place. Has any one suggested White Sail yet? It's right on par with SJ... maybe.

Personal favorite. Appleton Estates
Last edited by: racin_rusty: Sep 8, 16 14:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Just kidding.

SJ's or Capt. Morgan is the foundation for the not yet famous Captain Coco beach vacation drink - cheap spiced rum (Captains, SJ's, Cruzan), diet coke, splash of coconut rum, generous lime wedge, ice.

I'll help you with that over here on the right coast. But with real Coke (thank you Mexico). Why ruin a cheap cocktail with diet cola?

But. I'll need to know why it's named Captain Coco. I'm hoping there is a good story (if not then make one up).
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No stories for the name - Captain for Captain Morgans, coco for the coconut rum.

Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Let me add this... if you want a floater for your boat drink them I recommend Myer's Dark.

x2

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:
Personal favorite is Sailor Jerry

Are you in college?

Phew, I thought I was the only one that thought it was out of place. Has any one suggested White Sail yet? It's right on par with SJ... maybe.

Personal favorite. Appleton Estates

What most of the rum snobs missed in the OP, was my total aversion to anything too bourbony, which most aged rums, aged in bourbon casks are just that.

Plantation was a good suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron zacapa and bounty rum - from fiji
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from Puerto Rico. I have never liked rum, but when in Rome...

I was at a little shack on the beach and asked if they had a sipping rum.

I was pleasantly surprised by Ron del Barrillito, 3 star. I know you said no bourbon comparisons, but it had the nose of an oaky bourbon, I.e. Woodford. The finish was different, obviously, but there was a lot of great flavor that I've never associated with rum.
http://www.rondelbarrilito.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some have already mentioned Zacapa - solid choice.

Currently, my favorite rum is Centenario (9 year). VERY smooth Costa Rican rum and it is quite cheap, at least here in Florida.

Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [ScottyBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you who are rum aficionados, you should read the history of Havana Club. Yea, maybe cerveloguy should research it too.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Mount Gay Black Label
http://www.mountgayrum.com/.../black-barrel-detail

Mount Gay rums have always been on the superior end, aided by the use of the pristine Barbados fresh water in the distilling process.

x2. I'm drinking this lately and it's outstanding. generally not a rum man, but it's great.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
For those of you who are rum aficionados, you should read the history of Havana Club. Yea, maybe cerveloguy should research it too.

Already had. Was way ahead of you as always, but that wouldn't be hard for anyone. Been drinking the Cuban Havana Club for twenty years, both in Cuba or in Canada. Its sold around the world except for one country. Here's a good summary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana_Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

i just read their wikipedia page. is there something nefarious im missing?

i happen to have a bottle of their 7 yo rum i bought in mexico. the cuban version, not the bacardi version. i really like it.

Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

Already had. Was way ahead of you as always, but that wouldn't be hard for anyone. Been drinking the Cuban Havana Club for twenty years, both in Cuba or in Canada. Its sold around the world except for one country. Here's a good summary.

I doubt it. A slow witted dolt like you is never ahead as evidenced by your behavior on the LR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

I doubt it. A slow witted dolt like you is never ahead as evidenced by your behavior on the LR.

PPPPFFFFFFTTTTTTT.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

i just read their wikipedia page. is there something nefarious im missing?

i happen to have a bottle of their 7 yo rum i bought in mexico. the cuban version, not the bacardi version. i really like it.

Just Old Hickory being a horses ass again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
Particularly spiced, flavored or dark. Personal favorite is Sailor Jerry.

Please, nothing that even has a hint of resemblance to bourbon...

I'm not a big rum drinker or expert by any means. When I visited Grand Caymen I tried Tortuga rum and it was the best I ever had. I brought some home duty free but have been rationing it since I haven't found it stateside.

I share your disdain for bourbon. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is so popular. My favorite spirit is Irish whiskey. At a fancy restaurant the owner had me try his 21 year old Redbreast. It was so good I had to buy a bottle even though it cost more than I ever had considered paying for a bottle of whiskey.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggest a favorite rum [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:
http://pussersrum.com/

As issued to the Royal Navy for centuries.

Kay Serrar wrote:
Mount Gay Black Label
http://www.mountgayrum.com/.../black-barrel-detail

Mount Gay rums have always been on the superior end, aided by the use of the pristine Barbados fresh water in the distilling process.

My top two, agreed

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next