Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: apple watch 2 stepping on some garmin toes [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true. It is crazy how long the 735 can go on a single charge. I sync and charge just once a week now (3 swims/6runs). I don't use the built in heart rate and that seems to help the battery last forever.
Quote Reply
Re: apple watch 2 stepping on some garmin toes [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
dunno wrote:
ANT+ is a Garmin sensor, but what does it do that apple doesn't. Polar heart rate straps connect to the Apple Watch. What am I missing?

• lap button
  • multisport mode
  • speed / cadence via foot pod
  • native (watch-only) support for running power / muscle oxygen sensors
  • running dynamics
  • raw data upload to Strava, TrainingPeaks, …
  • battery life

I expect the DC Rainmaker Apple Watch Series 2 review will detail more.

this this this
Quote Reply
Re: apple watch 2 stepping on some garmin toes [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
uucee wrote:
dunno wrote:
ANT+ is a Garmin sensor, but what does it do that apple doesn't. Polar heart rate straps connect to the Apple Watch. What am I missing?

• lap button
  • multisport mode
  • speed / cadence via foot pod
  • native (watch-only) support for running power / muscle oxygen sensors
  • running dynamics
  • raw data upload to Strava, TrainingPeaks, …
  • battery life

Sounds interesting. I'm no professional so don't have a need for power meters, muscle oxygen sensors etc

A running cadence sensor would be cool though

You must be new here. You sure you're on the right forum?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
Bingo: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-edition-review.html

Pretty much the same issues and limitations as the AWS0. The new copy is bigger, stronger, faster, and has GPS. But it is limited by the simplistic Activity app and firewalled Health app. NRC and Workout have no knowledge of one another. No satellite views of activities. No activity exports. GPS performance is meh. And, he uses fun words like dismal, basic, horrible, bizarre that he does not use often.
Quote Reply
Re: apple watch 2 stepping on some garmin toes [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Customization - The AW has limited options for displaying the metrics I want on the screens I want. A Garmin, by contrast, is 100% customizable with more data fields available. For example, I like to run with my main screen of total time, distance, cadence and HR. This is impossible on the AW.
These are customizable via the Apple Watch app on the iPhone, as long as the fields themselves are supported.
exxxviii wrote:
Mature, Holistic Platform - All other fitness and tracking devices are part of an integrated portal that brings all metrics (sleep, weight, step/activity, fitness activities, calorie intake, etc.) into a single integrated view. To accomplish something similar with AW, you would need 1/2 dozen crappy apps that each displays its own metric outside of the context of the others.
That would be Health.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
These are customizable via the Apple Watch app on the iPhone, as long as the fields themselves are supported.
No, the Workout app has extremely limited options and permutations. If the three metrics you want are not one of the combiations that Apple has predetermined as possible, then no joy.
uucee wrote:
That would be Health.
No, Health is a steaming turd that I wish Apple would simply abort and start over. It is not a tool for viewing and analyzing data. It is just a data repository with rudimentary (at best) visualizations. Apple's idea is that other third-party apps would be the tools to do visualizations, but so far, those are pretty sketchy. And, the fact that Health does not have geocoded data means that any hope robust analysis is dead before getting started. There is no Apple equivalent of what Garmin/Fitbit/Mio/Microsoft/Withings/everyone else are doing in their mobile and web apps, and it does not look like anyone else has plans to write that.
Quote Reply
Re: apple watch 2 stepping on some garmin toes [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an Fitbit as a present . Been using it for over a year. Love it's long battery life & sleep monitoring.
Personally for me smartwatch is unnecessary device.
SUCH a hassle to have to get something from your pocket. (are people really that lazy or so pressed for time that even 2 seconds to reach into your pocket is too long, i seriously doubt it)
maybe it is saving us 2 seconds but does that really matter to the vast majority of people?
smart watches , more pointless gadgets just for the sake of it, its not an innovation its just something old put into a new form factor that is not making anybodies life easier by enough to warrant making them.
i bet 99% of people will only ever use it to check the time
and do most other things on the bigger screen of their phone.
They will mess around with it for a few hours thinking its cool to be like dick tracey, when the novelty wears off it will be business as usual. looking at their wrist to see the time. getting their phone out their pocket to check email or texts or whatever.
So thanks but no
I'll be sticking with a stylish wrist watch like here that ticks reassuringly like a watch should
not everything has to be digital. (to be fair tho the LG one doesn't look too bad as a watch)
Quote Reply

Prev Next