Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm just using straight leverage example to emphasize the point he is fucking wrong. Whether he actually wants to listen to us not my fucking problem, but when he can't figure out why he's down money in a choppy sideways market one month. . . . . . //

Don't get pissy, this isn't one of your political threads. I don't claim to know all the particulars, just using my basic math, which appears not to be the case here. IF I'm wrong in my assumptions, I appreciate being educated. So it seems like I'm giving up a few % in this trade by holding long term, and unless I get a very big down day or two, Im not going to cross my buy in.

I have to think about it a bit more and do my reading, but thanks for the heads up. All along i was not arguing my point, but voicing it as a question, which you finally answered, thanks. Looks like i will have to be really right in my assumptions on where the market is going, not just a little right. I will stop buying anymore to dollar cost average my holding in it, and perhaps get some out with minor up days, say 15 pt downswings in the S&P..

I just don't want to hang myself by exiting all together before I give it a little more time. Get out all together and you are too late if the shit hits the fan. Kind of an insurance policy on my longs at this point..

Dude I'm not being pissy, I am being very civil relative to a desk or pit. You aren't giving up a few percent, you are mathematically guaranteed to lose money in the long term unless you have caught a one way freight train trend. You literally would need to buy on the open and sell on the close every day to get the exposure you want (or never have it go against you). There are so many other ways to get downside exposure: a short ETF, sell futures, short the SPY, ratio put spreads, vix futures (not the VXX). These at least have risks that are easier to understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
So who's in chipotle now that Pershing square bought 10%? I thought about it a few weeks ago but my once busy chipotle is generally empty these days.

I don't know what his investment thesis is for it. PE is 60. Nothing to unlock. I think it's going to be an albatross
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 this link discusses a few unknown billionaires
and their wall street traded companies that they used in order to make alot of money.
F.F. to 35 second point to skip intro
https://www.youtube.com/...rel=0&autoplay=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok, so if the market goes up 5% one day and down 5% the next, then I'm ahead. How is the math different than any stock you hold?
It's easier to demoonstrate on the downside. So with a stick if you're down 5% the first day you're 100 is worth 95. Back up 5% the next day you're back to 99.75. Versus the leveraged same scenario down 85 back to 97.75. There's also a management fee associated with an etf vs a stock.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem isn't when it's a couple days. It's when you take into account compounding that it gets ugly.

If you look over the last year the market has been up 10.91 percent, but if you look at SPXS it's down 40.29 percent. And that is with some huge volatility in the market a few times.

Monty could be right and if there is a huge drop for some reason he could get back to even. But if the market goes sideways to up for the next 3-6 months it's ugly.

If you look at the last three months including the 5 percent tanking. The s&p is up only 3.13 percent. SPXS is down 12.37 percent... In three months!

Let's say Monty is cost averaged at 12.40. SPXS is at 12.11, even if we had another 5 percent drop today and he timed it perfect and said he was going to get out he would only have a gain of 12.31 percent. Almost the same gain that it only took 3 months to for SPXS to wipe out.

I don't normally suggest a hope and pray strategy for investing, but that's what holding leveraged ETFs are. If there isn't a big fast drop in the next 6 weeks Monty will be most likely in an over 10 percent loss hole where the numbers get really ugly to get out of because the sideways market movement will start eating away at the value.

Like I said it's possible to make money holding it for a while if you're going the same way the market it and it's moving quick. But trying to bet against the direction of the market with a leveraged ETF is a hell of a lot of risk with little upside.

Edit: Also the even bigger issue, which is what I saw when I worked at Scottrade, and is the same in Montys case, when you don't understand the math behind it you don't realize how big of a hole you're actually getting into.
Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Sep 8, 16 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, I will hope to exit soon and use a Spdr even money short, any recommendations? Funny thing is that I did not go in thinking I would make a bunch of money on this, but it was a hedge against my long positions just in case, I just didn't want to get wiped out in a day or two where I was not watching what was going on. Then it turned into more than that one I started exiting my long positions at highs.

Guess the other time I used this strategy it worked out pretty well (brexit) and it blinded me, I will pay more attention from now on.
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Buy Oct 21, 2016 VXX Call options at $40.00 - currently trading at $1.43 VXX is $35.59 so they are out of the money calls.

Okay you can now close out your position at $1.61, making a quick 13% in two days. I just paid for a nice Zipp rear wheel for your bike with your $10,000 investment.
Last edited by: summitt: Sep 8, 16 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what his investment thesis is for it. PE is 60. Nothing to unlock. I think it's going to be an albatross

No kidding. And his most recent newsworthy bets(Valant and Herbalife) have lost huge for his fund, and has been a real downer for the investors. Hedge funds are getting slammed, and now there is a light on the way they charge customers. One thing to make someone a lot of money, they overlook those fees, but lose them a lot of money and charge them the fees, well that won't happen for very long..

Time will tell if they catch up with their multiple, but very scary to hinge so much on a company where one of your cilantro choppers might not wash his hands after taking a dump and you lose millions because of it..

By the way, sold 1/3 of my short position with the S&P down 7 this morning, fingers crossed for some more drop..
Last edited by: monty: Sep 8, 16 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you explain why it may not be the best decision to invest in VXX, even if you think the market will take a downturn? I'm having trouble understanding what VIX futures is?

This thread is great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

No kidding. And his most recent newsworthy bets(Valant and Herbalife) have lost huge for his fund, and has been a real downer for the investors. Hedge funds are getting slammed, and now there is a light on the way they charge customers. One thing to make someone a lot of money, they overlook those fees, but lose them a lot of money and charge them the fees, well that won't happen for very long..

Time will tell if they catch up with their multiple, but very scary to hinge so much on a company where one of your cilantro choppers might not wash his hands after taking a dump and you lose millions because of it..

By the way, sold 1/3 of my short position with the S&P down 7 this morning, fingers crossed for some more drop..

I think this is a different play for him. Valeant and Herbalife seemed more strategic and fungible. Herbalife was a fake company according to him. Chipotle is consumer so he might think with new management/marketing and looking at it from a societal standpoint and industry trends there is an upside. In other words, just business 101 stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://sixfigureinvesting.com/...4/how-does-vxx-work/

This is a really good article, read the section on what does it track.
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri dpt wrote:
Could you explain why it may not be the best decision to invest in VXX, even if you think the market will take a downturn? I'm having trouble understanding what VIX futures is?

This thread is great!

http://cfe.cboe.com/...ts/products_vix.aspx

overlay a chart percent changes (or do a correlation of returns) of VXX to VIX. It just doesn't track it as closely as one would expect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok got a good exit point today with the S&P down over 1%. So didn't get hurt too bad on my trade, but did lose some. So what vehicle do I use to short the 500 that tracks it as close as possible without all the big i lost in the leveraged ETF?

It is killing me that I'm out of short completely, if this is just the beginning of what I believed would happen and I now miss it, well keep the neck ties away from me..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
summitt wrote:
Buy Oct 21, 2016 VXX Call options at $40.00 - currently trading at $1.43 VXX is $35.59 so they are out of the money calls.

Okay you can now close out your position at $1.61, making a quick 13% in two days. I just paid for a nice Zipp rear wheel for your bike with your $10,000 investment.

Dang I closed it out for a 13% gain in two days and today it's trading 80% higher now at $2.60. Guess I'm not savvy. Let your winners run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok got a good exit point today with the S&P down over 1%. So didn't get hurt too bad on my trade, but did lose some. So what vehicle do I use to short the 500 that tracks it as close as possible without all the big i lost in the leveraged ETF?

It is killing me that I'm out of short completely, if this is just the beginning of what I believed would happen and I now miss it, well keep the neck ties away from me..(-;

I listed it out in a previous post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swanbird wrote:
http://www.dryships.com/pages/report.php

The Biffex? Point is.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO sold everything this morning while the S&P was up about 12 points. Got out of those stupid long positions of SPXS couple weeks ago on that great down day, but not at the end of the day unfortunately so got lucky there. SInce then been using that ETF like it is supposed to be, short term trades, thanks windy. I'm just a little panicky on the markets at the moment, and need some of my cash in a couple months for a house purchase, so seemed a good time to sit and watch.

Don't think the fed will raise this month, but if they do look out short term. Actually right now I hope they do, will give me a good entry point back in. If not, well that entry will come somewhere, it always does. Just glad that most my money is in retirement accounts, so no taxes to speak of to pay by liquidating right now. And I'm open to any new stock ideas any of you might have, give me your winners!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know when you decide to get back in. I've got some money to invest, and I'm too chicken to just throw it into the market right now. It's sad since I know I can't predict the future, but once a gambler always a gambler I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do, just sitting and waiting for bad news. Feels strange to be rooting for the bad guys, but they so seldom win and may as well make some money when they finally do!!

Come on Yellen, do what everyone knows you want to, but have been to timid to do! OR we could just settle for a little flash crash, back in with no real pain!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

this bubble burst show
talks about stock market wins and losses
fast forward to 13 minutes and 40 seconds point
to skip the commercials and filler .

http://zfirelight.blogspot.com/...of-2017-bigfoot.html
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
While selling uncovered calls just for good measure.

Big balls up in here.
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
SkipG wrote:
How would you invest 10k right now?

I'm savvy enough to have invested in Amazon at around $120 with all my play cash. Problem now is I don't have any fun trading as I just can't seem to sell it.

Dude, your In a perfect position to be selling covered calls. If you don't know how, learn. Make money while your holding that stock with big gains. Besides, that sucker has a wicked PE, not sure how long the growth will last. Maybe get ready to bail after the nice 17 month gain. It doesn't stay wonderful forever. If it dips, you can always jump back in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
summitt wrote:
summitt wrote:

Dang I closed it out for a 13% gain in two days and today it's trading 80% higher now at $2.60. Guess I'm not savvy. Let your winners run.

Following this quote today.... Read your first post about 13% and my first thought was.... I usually wait til a 30% gain on option trades and/or volatility market trades. The times I get greedy, I seem to lose out. 30% seems like an attainable number I have seen in the past.

I'm still pissed my AMD trade never filled and now the damn stock ran up big time.
Quote Reply
Re: Any savvy investors in the LR? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
How would you invest 10k right now?

Buy XOM stock. Safe play with some upside and dividends.

Buy calls on TSLA. Good growth is the alleged $35k car is a hot seller.

Buy CMG stock. It's back to 2014 pricing. Good upside.
Quote Reply

Prev Next