Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Nextie rims built up well with no negative comments from the builder (who normally deals with top end stuff).

When questioned, he said they were definitely different than the cheap eBay style carbon he has seen and (unprompted) commented on the nicely machined brake track.

He also said that in his opinion, he saw nothing to raise concern over quality or longevity I could expect from the product but did say he couldn't really commit to anything more than that - but only because it was his first experiance with Nextie.

I will get some pictures up once the graphics are on which should be next week - all going to plan ... :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Only 70 grams heavier and $135 more per rim than a Stan's ZTR Crest

Sounds like a great rim.

You do realise that a ZTR Crest is a noodle of a rim and only works for super lightweight riders?
If you are anything but small and skinny, the ZTR will not last a ride without maintenance.
Even the heavier Flow is marginal at best for longevity.

A big part of the growing popularity of carbon rims for MTB is the very noticeable increase in steering precision due to their extra stiffness.
As well as being able to go wide without being boat anchors, they just ride better than alloy.

The Nextie rims are also built in a spiral fashion, so there are no rim joins as such, just one place where the spiral finishes.
I respectfully disagree with Stan's rims being only for super lightweight riders. I have Crests on my Scalpel, and Arches on my single speed. I have tweaked the Crests a couple times but they trued easily. The Arches are tough as hell. I'm 165-170 depending on beer consumption.
.........and I can ride a mountain bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a benefit to internal nipples?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly ? I suspect just asthetics ... lol

There is a downside - tyre off to true wheel ... :-(

They do offer a very 'clean' look though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nextie rims have a very good reputation in the fat bike community. They're one of the new breed of more "legit" Chinese carbon offerings: not knockoffs, slightly more expensive than the Ebay stuff, better quality and reasonable customer support.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a Timely post.

I am now wondering if these carbon rims might be a better option for me than Flo 30's. Only an extra $120.00
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Nextie rims have a very good reputation in the fat bike community. They're one of the new breed of more "legit" Chinese carbon offerings: not knockoffs, slightly more expensive than the Ebay stuff, better quality and reasonable customer support.

Yep. Just picked up a pair of fat hoops myself. They are excellent quality compared to other fat carbons I have had
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard the same. I'm getting some for myself along with another wheel builder. A pair of rims is cheaper than a single CK hub...and probably better quality...;)

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Is there a benefit to internal nipples?

In theory you can build a stronger wheel. The smaller hole allows force to be dissipated over a larger area of carbon. Further, an internal nipple allows force to be supported in compression. They're a PITA to work with but I like the theoretical benefits.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Practicalities aside, I do like the clean look they offer :

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What nipples and spoke combination did you use?
I've just bought a set of rims and can't find anywhere online what internal nipple is best for these rims!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [Ricky1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Spokes are Sapim CX rays. Nipples are also Sapim, but I am not sure if the model name sorry :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, thanks heaps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, out of interest; how are the hoops holding up? Any issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone tried Nextie carbon hoops? [Ricky1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Summary = good / no issues to date :-) But mileage isn't high either.

Braking (black prince pads) is very strong in the dry. They haven't seen the wet yet though ...

There was is a little bit of pulsing in the lever but that seems to be changing (lessening) as they bed down a little more. I recall my bora's going through a similar phase until the lacquer was evenly worn / scuffed.

Tyres (Michelin tubs) fitted well / easily.

Which type and finish did you go for ?

Quote Reply

Prev Next