Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Why not require all employers to E-Verify with DHS all employees BEFORE they can legally hire them. Fine employers and/or deny their tax deductions for anyone paid outside of E-Verify. Problem solved. Take away their ability to work and they would leave voluntarily.

Why not?

The government could have easily done this 40 years ago....
And would have if anyone was serious about actually reducing the number of illegal aliens.

But then there would be a shortage of cheap labor and everything would be super expensive.

And more importantly their would be no-one to blame for the nations economic problems.

Agreed. That is why I stated it. The very minute someone actually proposes something that would effectively stop the illegal immigration, (note: the wall won't and it will never be built anyway), then business owners, both R and D, will shut off the donation pipeline and threaten to support their opponents. Business owners are huge political contributors and they do not want their cheap labor source shut down. Hypocrisy.
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Why not require all employers to E-Verify with DHS all employees BEFORE they can legally hire them. Fine employers and/or deny their tax deductions for anyone paid outside of E-Verify. Problem solved. Take away their ability to work and they would leave voluntarily.

Why not?

The government could have easily done this 40 years ago....
And would have if anyone was serious about actually reducing the number of illegal aliens.

But then there would be a shortage of cheap labor and everything would be super expensive.

And more importantly their would be no-one to blame for the nations economic problems.

Agreed. That is why I stated it. The very minute someone actually proposes something that would effectively stop the illegal immigration, (note: the wall won't and it will never be built anyway), then business owners, both R and D, will shut off the donation pipeline and threaten to support their opponents. Business owners are huge political contributors and they do not want their cheap labor source shut down. Hypocrisy.

1) I am all for this

2) I have had to prove my citizenship in the past couple of years when I changed jobs (I guess it was termed ability to work or something, they needed my passport).

3) Honestly how much cheaper is illegal labor, and how much work is actually done by illegal aliens? I can't think all that much.

4) I'd have to imagine the knock on effect of eliminating illegal employees would actually be a boon for the economy (we need wage inflation bitches)
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless they all happen to be here legally it seems like landscaping, hotel, agriculture, and construction would take big hits by a crack down on illegal immigration. Basically the jobs you can't find reliable US citizens to do because they are doing something that pays better and isn't as hard.

My brother manages a landscaping company and pretty much all their workers are from Mexico or central America.

Wasn't there a company in the south a couple of years ago that decided to put its money where its mouth was and hired a bunch of US citizens to harvest a crop and they were all pretty much done by mid-day the first day because they couldn't handle the physical labor?
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Sep 2, 16 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Unless they all happen to be here legally it seems like landscaping, hotel, agriculture, and construction would take big hits by a crack down on illegal immigration. Basically the jobs you can't find reliable US citizens to do because they are doing something that pays better and isn't as hard or they are on the government dole.

FIFY.

But I agree, those industries would be hard hit.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Unless they all happen to be here legally it seems like landscaping, hotel, agriculture, and construction would take big hits by a crack down on illegal immigration. Basically the jobs you can't find reliable US citizens to do because they are doing something that pays better and isn't as hard or they are on the government dole.

FIFY.

That was covered by the "reliable" part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

FIFY.

The chronically underemployed are plenty reliable. You know that as sure as the sun will rise they will be collecting their checks every month :).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

FIFY.

The chronically underemployed are plenty reliable. You know that as sure as the sun will rise they will be collecting their checks every month :).

I wonder what percentage of those folks could handle a day let alone 5 or 6 days a week of fairly strenuous work? I would guess cleaning rooms in a hotel is fairly easy work, but my impression is agricultural work is pretty hard core.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there a company in the south a couple of years ago that decided to put its money where its mouth was and hired a bunch of US citizens to harvest a crop and they were all pretty much done by mid-day the first day because they couldn't handle the physical labor?

If you eliminate illegal labour, you would also have to eliminate or severely reduce welfare or other government programs so that people will have the incentive to work. My bet is a lot of people could handle the physical labor if there was no other option.

They may have to increase the wages but overall I would think eliminating illegal work and reducing government hand outs would be a win win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

FIFY.

I wonder what percentage of those folks could handle a day let alone 5 or 6 days a week of fairly strenuous work? I would guess cleaning rooms in a hotel is fairly easy work, but my impression is agricultural work is pretty hard core.

Cleaning, while easy compared to agricultural or construction work, is anything but 'fairly easy work'.

I'm guessing that many immigrants doing those hard jobs were doing jobs like that back home, and grew up on a steady diet of hard labour. I don't think a Mexican doctor or retail clerk, would fair well being thrown in to a job like that, but I bet most Americans raised on a farm could hack it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

FIFY.

Cleaning, while easy compared to agricultural or construction work, is anything but 'fairly easy work'.

I'm guessing that many immigrants doing those hard jobs were doing jobs like that back home, and grew up on a steady diet of hard labour. I don't think a Mexican doctor or retail clerk, would fair well being thrown in to a job like that, but I bet most Americans raised on a farm could hack it.

I was using work in the sense of physical work, not in the sense of a job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I don't think most Americans are willing to do hard work. As you know, I am a retired Union Carpenter Foreman. I worked my last 20 years as a foreman for Skanska USA Civil. We had a job in the Bronx the at it's peak emplowed over 300 carpenter on our payroll. I was the one who brought all the new hires in from the gate and I was also the one who did the laying off. Now these were professional carpenters who put themselves on the list for heavy construction. They were unemployed during the past recession. When I brought them in, I took them over to the hole in hole in the ground, 500' x 500' x 200' deep, and I gave them my speach; ''every guy in that hole is making over $100,000 a year. All we want is for you to work hard, you don't have to kill yourself but you do have to work hard and come in on time every day.'' At least half of them would get laid off after about a week. Most of our workers were here from the Caribbean, Eastern Europe and Portugal.

Before we were bought out by Skanska, the company was Slattery. The Union guys called us ''Slavery''!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Unless they all happen to be here legally it seems like landscaping, hotel, agriculture, and construction would take big hits by a crack down on illegal immigration. Basically the jobs you can't find reliable US citizens to do because they are doing something that pays better and isn't as hard.

My brother manages a landscaping company and pretty much all their workers are from Mexico or central America.

I don't agree, I use to work construction, There was plenty of guys who loved the work. Slowly the general contractors figured out they could pay illegals half the price they payed a legal and would not get busted for it. The tech. industry has now figured this out too. Go walk through Qualcomm or Sony both business are mostly cheap imported labor (not as blatant they use the H1B visa system) .

Again people love to bring up agricultural workers they make up less than 2% of illegals here. This would be easily handled with a visa system.

I was up in Washington state working this summer it seemed almost all the hotel workers (gardeners, maids etc.) were young legal Americans who seem to take pride in their job, it was refreshing to see.

I don't believe Trump if he becomes President should do anything but enforce the laws we have already debated over in congress, that is the executives branches job, not to rewrite laws.

As for Clinton, I guess her stance is the same as Obama's- refuse to do the job you were put there to do and continue on with unregulated law breaking as millions more break-in to our country. Is she also like Obama going to (illegally) try to change the laws with a phone and a pen?
Why isn't the mainstream busting her balls like they do Trump's on this topic?
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
He seems to be willing to meet with people he disagrees with. Hillary won't even do a press conference.

Well, you can get off that one now.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did that count? It was like 8 minutes and 3-4 questions.

And, bizzarely, she had her plane as a backdrop, which is Trump-like in its self-centeredness and self-promotion.

Quote | Reply
Fatmouse wrote:

And, bizzarely, she had her plane as a backdrop, which is Trump-like in its self-centeredness and self-promotion.

I would think she did it just to get it out of the way. There is nothing to be gained from a candidate's perspective to going off the cuff. She is trying to control every moment of the campaign and has been around the game for a long time.

The one thing I think she needs to be careful of is not staying on the offensive, a lot like a football game when the team ahead is just trying to run out the clock. A bad slip up or appearance by her that makes her look less than healthy could be a nightmare to recover from.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [Fatmouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fatmouse wrote:

You find a politician running for national office promoting themselves bizarre?
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And even though she took a whopping 6 questions in 15 minutes today, she is still trying to control the questioning; and because we have a lapdog media it is working. Neither of these two deserve to be President, but I give Trump credit. He may make a fool of himself but he is actually out there, she's hiding.

http://thehill.com/...ons-press-conference

j p o wrote:
Fatmouse wrote:

I would think she did it just to get it out of the way. There is nothing to be gained from a candidate's perspective to going off the cuff. She is trying to control every moment of the campaign and has been around the game for a long time.

The one thing I think she needs to be careful of is not staying on the offensive, a lot like a football game when the team ahead is just trying to run out the clock. A bad slip up or appearance by her that makes her look less than healthy could be a nightmare to recover from.
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither of these two deserve to be President, but I give Trump credit.

You're wording is off a bit. It should be "I don't like Trump but..." followed by a number of comparisons to Clinton and a few references to e-mails. Repeat.

You're welcome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Neither of these two deserve to be President

Incomplete. None of the 2, 3 (Johnson) or 4 (Stein) that will be on the ballots in various states are worthy of support or a vote. This election is the worst slate of candidates across the board I have had the opportunity to vote in for 44 years.
Quote Reply
Re: So Trump is going to Mexico tomorrow [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Neither of these two deserve to be President, but I give Trump credit.

You're wording is off a bit. It should be "I don't like Trump but..." followed by a number of comparisons to Clinton and a few references to e-mails. Repeat.

You're welcome.

Since you are one of the few big Hillary fans on here, or anywhere, tell me something positive about her?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He may make a fool of himself but he is actually out there, she's hiding

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next