Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Want to hear something funny about my new Driver's License? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's not logical to list activities that require an ID then flatly add voting to that same list without any reason.
As a side note, I should have the freedom to not participate 'in the system', to live off my garden and any stray varmints on my property, and yet, walk in and vote. If we assume that all Americans will buy alcohol, guns and drive a vehicle . . . then getting an ID seems like a natural extension. Not everyone wants to participate, and not everyone wants to carry ID - and it should not be a requirement to voting. What do you conservatives have against freedom? Why is there the presumption of guilt (that an individual will commit voter fraud)?
Quote Reply
Re: Want to hear something funny about my new Driver's License? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no reason no person living in the US shouldn't have ID. If we can deliver books to these people or collect blood from them, we can certainly put our heads together and make it happen if we really care about voter integrity.

Of course we could, but would probably cost some money. Then we would either have to take it from somewhere else, or add a new tax somewhere. In what world are republican politicians going to spend money to get more democrats ID's, which gets them to the polls?

I agree with you 100%, people should have ID's to vote. They should be provided to all who have circumstances that prevent them or make it a hardship to get one. But not until then do you institute any voter ID laws. No cart before the horse. Everyone gets an ID, then make a law they have to show it to vote..

But like I said, not gonna happen that way while any county, state, or country legislative body is populated by republicans. And if you don't think that "MOST" people in this category would not end up democrats, well I can't help you then.

On a side not, I also have a 90+ year old veteran friend about to loose his ID.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
In principal I'm OK with a requirement to show ID to vote. The principal being that obtaining ID must be easy, accessible to all, convenient, and have a low cost barrier. The practical application isn't consistent with these principals.

Example: Alabama. Voter ID laws were passed there. Closure of DMV offices were announced a few months ago, with the majority of those being in areas that have heavy minority populations. In many cases, entire counties will no longer have DMV offices, putting people over an hour away from a DMV office. I'm not sure what the hours are like there, but if they're like Michigan it's business hours, limited Saturday hours, one night a week that's open a little later. I'll give the state the benefit of the doubt and say that it's an unintended consequence, but if you're a poor laborer as many rural Alabama residents are, the practical ability to easily obtain an ID makes it such that voter disenfranchisement will be the result. Not giving the state the benefit of the doubt, it could well be stacking the deck in favor of those who have more opportunity to obtain IDs under the new law and DMV infrastructure. Given a history of political games to stack the deck in favor of one party (i.e. Michigan's long-time gerrymandering problems), I wouldn't be surprised if the true fraud in Alabama's voter ID case is to suppress the vote rather than to stop cases fraud.

Duffy wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
I remember that from the license when I lived there!

That is something I don't understand about the voter law - why doesn't someone have an ID of some kind and why would it be bad if they did get an ID?

People who are against voter ID are against it because they benefit from vote fraud.

It's not really that difficult to understand.

If you want to pass voter ID laws, which I do, you have to address the easy access to said IDs within reason. Else there is validity to voter suppression claims. It shouldn't be about that.

I agree here. The reality is that Dems and Reps are each on their side of the voter ID debate not because of fairness-of-access or fraud, but because their stances benefit their (re)election. If the benefit where to flip, so would their stances.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to hear something funny about my new Driver's License? [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well duh, that is why those of us who are rational and vote have to take a stance that is rational and feasible instead of pushing talking points.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AZ DL's are awesome. I'm on license #2 in 20 years, and the only reason I got the second one was bc I lost the first. My license is valid until 2036!

I mean i AZ made them expire every 5-10 years they could charge $15-25 a pop and get some extra revenue to fix the potholes

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Want to hear something funny about my new Driver's License? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
...USN Commander in the special forces community is denied...

Why would a Navy Commander be in the Army Green Beret community?
Quote Reply

Prev Next