Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Leddy wrote:
At the end of the day it's a dog vs my kids safety. I'd put it down for the safety of any other kids it could somehow come into contact with. If JSA or anyone else wants to adopt a dog who has bit someone. Good for them. I wouldn't take the risk.

No, it isn't. That's the problem with your position.
it 100% is.
I'd like to hear why it isn't ?

It isn't because the dogs life and your child's safety are not the only two options, and the two are not mutually exclusive. As many have pointed out, ere are a bunch of options that include both the dog living and your child being safe.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Leddy wrote:

At the end of the day it's a dog vs my kids safety. I'd put it down for the safety of any other kids it could somehow come into contact with. If JSA or anyone else wants to adopt a dog who has bit someone. Good for them. I wouldn't take the risk.

it 100% is.

It isn't because your kids' safety does not require destroying the dog. Your logic is insanely flawed.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Leddy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Leddy wrote:

it 100% is.

It isn't because the dogs life and your child's safety are not the only two options, and the two are not mutually exclusive. As many have pointed out, ere are a bunch of options that include both the dog living and your child being safe.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm not sure why you want to murder me."

Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Here's my take on that.

Your dog (his dog, my dog) should never bite a child, even if the dog is provoked.

Even if a kid grabs its jowls and screams in its face, the dog should just take it.

Sorry, that's just the way it should be.

In your world, in the real world it is not so cut and dry. There are lot of circumstances where the dog is not only blameless, but the kid is the one who needs reprograming. Please don't get a dog..

JSA is right on all counts..

Or a child!
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now you're playing dirty pool !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Now you're playing dirty pool !

"I'm sorry ..."

Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It isn't because the dogs life and your child's safety are not the only two options, and the two are not mutually exclusive. As many have pointed out, ere are a bunch of options that include both the dog living and your child being safe

To me and I believe I mentioned it earlier. I get there's other factors and I'm not saying all cases. But IME a dog that bites the facial area is a problem. Risk I'm not taking. I don't blame you or others for feeling different. I just couldn't live with myself if it hurt another child.

I'm off to watch reruns of puppy bowl.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
It isn't because the dogs life and your child's safety are not the only two options, and the two are not mutually exclusive. As many have pointed out, ere are a bunch of options that include both the dog living and your child being safe

To me and I believe I mentioned it earlier. I get there's other factors and I'm not saying all cases. But IME a dog that bites the facial area is a problem. Risk I'm not taking. I don't blame you or others for feeling different. I just couldn't live with myself if it hurt another child.

I'm off to watch reruns of puppy bowl.

Neither could I. That's why a dog like that needs to go to someone who truly knows what he/she is doing.

Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
orphious wrote:
Danno wrote:
orphious wrote:
Oh- I read just fine. I have a hard time believing that people think that a dog that maliciously bites a toddlers face should not be destroyed. I also have a hard time with people who place animals on the same level with humans. Ridiculous. If a dog bites some one maliciously, that dog goes down. Shouldn't even be a question about it. I don't care if the toddler did something to provoke the dog. The dog still must be put down. And don't give me this garbage of being ignorant about not knowing this or that bullshit. All I need to know is that a human life is worth a hell of a lot more than some asshole dog that bit a toddler in the face.

The bolded word is your assumption and is not necessarily always the case. We have no information from the OP that the blue heeler in this case was acting maliciously. But, since you brought it up, how do YOU determine that a dog bite is malicious or not?

I would agree that in some instances, putting the dog down is reasonable. What I don't agree with is the proposition that it is always the proper course of action. I'd point out, however, that your "so it's okay because the dog had a reason" post doesn't convey ANY of what you posted above. It was a snarky, poorly thought out response that indicated you either didn't read what I wrote, or just wanted to be a douche.

Read what I think JSA(?) wrote.. Got bit in the nose while playing with the dog.. Complete accident. Seems to me that dog didn't bite him. Any dog that nips or bites with the intent to harm should be put down. In relation to the OP.. the way it is written sure makes it sound malicious to me.

And yea I was being kind of douche with my original post. Like I said I am bothered by people who place animals as equals or higher than humans.. There is no excuse good enough for a dog to viciously bite someone.

What makes you think I place a dog's life equal to or higher than a human's life? The fact that I think you can effectively deal with this situation without killing the dog? That's a real stretch.

Note to self -- Orphious is definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't really place a lot of blame on a dog that was trained to use biting to control animals outweighing it by thousands of pounds for biting a child as well. Heelers are well known to nip and bite at children to try and herd them. I put more blame on the adults who were there for allowing the situation to happen.

I actually went through a similar (although not quite as serious) issue with my toddler daughter and our 3 year old adopted GSP. He would continually growl at her whenever she got near his face. My wife wanted him gone immediately but we ended up working with a dog trainer to work on some of the issues. One of the biggest things she taught us was to make sure we did not punish the dog for growling. That was his way of showing his discomfort and if we took that away from him, he would go to the next step, biting. A year later and both our daughters can crawl all over him without any issues. As others have stated, there are options besides just putting the dog down or putting the child at risk.
Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: What should happen to a dog that bites a child? [Harbo99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone is "blaming" the dog.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next