Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compact/standard BCD and/or shorter cranks?
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'm needing to replace my cranks, unfortunately. I've been browsing the classifieds and online for a week or so now and seems like there are a lot of people selling the shorter crank length despite the rise in popularity.

Is this a place on the bike where size matters? At 6'6" riding a 61cm frame should I stick with the standard sizes and a 175mm crank arm? or with all the popularity of compact and short crank length make a difference for someone like me?

I'm really not sure which way to go. Any advice would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Compact/standard BCD and/or shorter cranks? [cornick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll depend heavily on the flexibility you have. Most people who go short have tight hamstrings and to help alleviate the strain in that region and adopt to a lower more aero position. Can you touch your toes? Can you place flat palms on the floor with locked knees? Do you find that your quads are currently hitting your chest or abdomen on the bike?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Compact/standard BCD and/or shorter cranks? [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
It'll depend heavily on the flexibility you have. Most people who go short have tight hamstrings and to help alleviate the strain in that region and adopt to a lower more aero position. Can you touch your toes?
Yes
Quote:
Can you place flat palms on the floor with locked knees?
No
Quote:
Do you find that your quads are currently hitting your chest or abdomen on the bike?
Yes

Thanks for the reply. My hamstrings are the tightest muscles I have an cause some back pain because of that as well. I'm having to constantly stretch them out during the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need short cranks? Would they help? Maybe. If you've ridden comfortably on your current set of cranks, I would hesitate changing to a new size. Without some sort of problem or bike fit identifying a limiter related to cranks, it's hard to prescribe something different.

Generally speaking, short cranks are a tool to alleviate hip impingement. So you're not so folded up like a taco. IMO, hamstrings have little or nothing to do with it. The difference is crank length are relatively small (165-175mm) for the most common sizes, and IIRC most studies have found that just about anyone can ride well and comfortably with anything in that range. BUT, you may find it feels better holding a position with cranks longer/shorter than what you have now. Given your height, I wouldn't think the standard sizes are too big (heck, everything is a short crank to you!), but I've not seen you on the bike in position riding, so take it with a grain of salt.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've fit two guys to 61 P2s in the last year. One 6'6 and the other 6'8. Put both of them on 165 compact cranks and the results are very positive (per race results).

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply