Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extra training on a long weekend?
Quote | Reply
Three day weekend coming up (woohoo!), and so far, they are predicting sun (and unfortunately more heat and humidity) for all three days. Normally, Friday is a rest day, and I do a long run and a long ride on the weekend, with a session with my swim coach on Monday. In these sessions, we focus mainly on technique, so the really hard drills are saved for Wednesday. Mondays tend to be a little chaotic at work, so I normally treat it as a semi-rest day and go back to double workouts on Tuesday. This weekend, my coach is out of town. I am planning on a 10k on Saturday morning with either an easy run or a swim in the afternoon. I have a long ride planned for Sunday.

I am trying to figure out Monday. The gym is open with limited hours, so I can still get in a swim. However, I hate to see the sunshine and dwindling daylight go to waste. What are the thoughts on doing a long or semi-long run on Monday and moving my rest day to Tuesday? What is everyone else doing with their long weekend?

For reference, my A race is IMNC in just over seven weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Extra training on a long weekend? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd do the long run on Sunday and the long ride Monday.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Extra training on a long weekend? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I am planning on a 10k on Saturday morning with either an easy run or a swim in the afternoon.

10k run or 10k race?
if it's a race you trained for and want to do well in, you shoudl take some rest after that.

if it's just a run, i would say don't organize your schedule around it. it's not just about hard v. easy, it's about how time consuming things are. sounds like you don't have too many non-work time commitments, so especially see if you can stretch out the miles on your bike, maybe a destination ride kind of thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Extra training on a long weekend? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a trail race, so it is 10k-ish. I am doing it because I trail run and I am friends with the RD. He is trying to get a new race off the ground. It isn't anything that I have specifically trained for, so I am just treating it as a trail run. I was actually thinking of just hanging out for a while after the race then rerunning the course to bump up the mileage.

What I am really trying to figure out is Monday.
Quote Reply