Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tempe International Triathlon?
Quote | Reply
I'm working on the schedule for next year and this race on May 21 looks interesting:

http://tempeinternational.com/

With lots of hotels and the airport right there, it looks like an easy trip. Has anyone done this race? It looks like it was well attended this year. Can you tell me anything about the race?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Tempe International Triathlon? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this race several years ago.. I live on the east coast, but happened to be able to time it out with a business trip.

Overall nice course that uses bits of the IMAZ course. Tempe town lake is a bit scuzzy, but probably won't kill you. Bike course is pretty fast / multi-loop. The biggest issue for me was the dry heat... late May can get very hot out there. I felt like I couldn't drink enough water, but back when I did it there were bottle handoffs on the multi-loop bike course.

Recommend the Mission Palms hotel, which is a few block from the transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race has new ownership as of this year, and I am told by many who raced this year that it is a lot better than it used to be. I would not travel for it, but if that's your thing, either the Mission Palms or the Courtyard would be convenient for you.

The lake is fine. Don't listen to the haters. The bike and run courses will be interesting to you if you have never raced in Tempe before, especially if you plan to do IMAZ or 70.3 Arizona eventually.
Quote Reply
Re: Tempe International Triathlon? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the Lifetime race in April? Would that be a better option? At least we would get a little cooler weather. We are thinking about coming out for the weekend in Tempe, then driving to the Grand Canyon for a few days before heading home.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would urge you to do the Lifetime race instead. It will be hot enough in April, and hotter still in May. The Lifetime events are organized well and have a big turnout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would add that if you are going to have a car, there are plenty of nice hotels in Scottsdale and Phoenix that are not too far of a drive from the venue. Downtown Tempe is not an ideal place to stay unless you are like 21. It depends how convenient you want your race morning to be. I drive in for those races from my home that is about 30 minutes away, and it's never an issue. There is plenty of parking at the venue.
Quote Reply
Re: Tempe International Triathlon? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. The April race it is. I started out looking at that one but then I got sidetracked by another race, so it's back to April. And, we will probably stay somewhere in Scottsdale

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Hit me up if you have any other questions about the area. The Lifetime Marquee race was cancelled this year but that's only because the lake had to be drained so the new dam could be built. Won't be an issue for next year's race.
Quote Reply