Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two Weeks Between An Oly And a Half Marathon
Quote | Reply
Hi, folks - I'll be doing an Oly in a couple of weeks, and then two weeks later an open half marathon. This week is the last build week in my current cycle, with next week being a cut-back/taper to the Oly.

My question is: how much do I do and how hard do I do it the following week?

I certainly don't need a three week taper for the Half, but I don't want to over-do anything either.

Background: I'm self-coached right now, but I had a coach last year and did the same races. He had me peak during the summer at 33 mpw on the run, but then the week after the Oly, spiked me to 48 miles. Annnd I made it to mile 4 in last year's half before getting injured (hammy locked up pretty hard). First DNF ever. Needless to say, I'm a bit gun-shy now to go *too* big, but still want to get quality runs in there.

More background: Ran a full marathon in May, and a HIM in June. Been in a run focus ever since (while still maintaining a decent swim and bike). Been running 6 days a week, averaging ~34 mpw since the HIM, with my long run averaging ~13. I should end up this week with 44~ish and a long run of ~ 15.

My thought was to recover from the Oly for the first half of the week - light, easy runs of 30-40 min tops - then a Thursday work-out of an hour, and Saturday a long run of about 12-13, with ~6 of that being some harder miles. Haven't figured out the details, but that's why I come here...

So... Where am I thinking wrong and where am I thinking right? What should I be looking to do with that in-between week (the final week I will taper to the Half ).

Appreciate anyone's thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks in advance!

- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Two Weeks Between An Oly And a Half Marathon [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are on the right track. I have done something similar. Definitely plan to go hard in both events.
I would be hesitant to do a full 13+ the weekend before the half. More like 9 or 10, since it sounds like you already have three or four solid long runs of 12 or more miles and a few 35 - 45 mile weeks in 4-10 weeks before the half. You should feel OK during that longish run the weekend before & the last real tempo should be 3 miles or so on Tuesday b4 the race. All else just go easy. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reckon you'll be fine. I did a 70.3 on a Sunday in January this year and rode 160km the next morning as part of my IM buildup. Definitely took it easier on the long ride but your plan looks good.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
Hi, folks - I'll be doing an Oly in a couple of weeks, and then two weeks later an open half marathon. This week is the last build week in my current cycle, with next week being a cut-back/taper to the Oly.

My question is: how much do I do and how hard do I do it the following week?

I certainly don't need a three week taper for the Half, but I don't want to over-do anything either.

Background: I'm self-coached right now, but I had a coach last year and did the same races. He had me peak during the summer at 33 mpw on the run, but then the week after the Oly, spiked me to 48 miles. Annnd I made it to mile 4 in last year's half before getting injured (hammy locked up pretty hard). First DNF ever. Needless to say, I'm a bit gun-shy now to go *too* big, but still want to get quality runs in there.

More background: Ran a full marathon in May, and a HIM in June. Been in a run focus ever since (while still maintaining a decent swim and bike). Been running 6 days a week, averaging ~34 mpw since the HIM, with my long run averaging ~13. I should end up this week with 44~ish and a long run of ~ 15.

My thought was to recover from the Oly for the first half of the week - light, easy runs of 30-40 min tops - then a Thursday work-out of an hour, and Saturday a long run of about 12-13, with ~6 of that being some harder miles. Haven't figured out the details, but that's why I come here...

So... Where am I thinking wrong and where am I thinking right? What should I be looking to do with that in-between week (the final week I will taper to the Half ).

Appreciate anyone's thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks in advance!

- Jeff

Your recovery week looks ok, except I would add some biking in.
Biking is low impact while still giving your legs some work and cardio also

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Two Weeks Between An Oly And a Half Marathon [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, there will definitely be biking and swimming in there - no doubt. Just more worried on the running load. Granted, I don't plan on doing any truly hard bike efforts, nor any 60 mile rides, but I'll still add some in.

Thanks guys; appreciate the feedback!

- Jeff
Quote Reply