Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
AMGEN has the power/moneys to make their product detectable and made the deliberate decision to just 'donate' a little fraction of their profits to develop better tests (more a publicity stunt than anything).

I guess it is all about who makes the money (share holders).

No affiliation with either company, and would not consider to hold stock/work for each of them in any form or function.

You obviously do not understand how a drug gets FDA approval. It's not as easy as sticking a marker in the drug for testing purposes unless you've not gotten approval already. To get approval for a modification like that will cost minimal $50MM.

You also don't understand how athletes get drugs or how drugs get to patients. They can't just roll up to Amgen HQ and grab a few vials, they need a prescription or need to obtain it illegally. Amgen is 2-3-4-5 steps removed from that process. There is a wholesaler, a PBM, insurance company, a pharmacy plus a physician or 2-3 or more of those between when a drug leaves a company and when an actual patient receives the drug. The healthcare drug delivery system is more effed up than you realize but now we are getting into LR territory.

I have no affiliation with Amgen other than I've been to the mothership (home office) for interviews only to turn them down 2x for pharma jobs well and I hold a few hundred shares of stock. I did spend 12 years in pharma though.

So to vilify Amgen or any pharma company for 1 drug they produce is short sighted when most companies are in multiple disease states. Especially when the abuse of the drugs happens not bc the company produces it but bc people in the healthcare chain and patients are willing to use it off label (which is legal), use it illegally etc.

I understand your anger at dopers, believe me I do as Iv'e got both pro's and age groupers that most likely have had results and their income negatively impacted by drugs. Your anger is misdirected in this case.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for expressing your concerns about NuMale Medical Center's presence at this prestigious event. We are committed to supporting the communities we serve. We were there to show our support, not to advertise Testosterone Replacement Therapy or any other medical services to the athletes. This was a well attended event and we had the opportunity to interact with the great people of Omaha.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

www.numale.com
866-205-8262

So that's their response to your piece, Jordan. They say they're not "advertising" but having that pop-up banner in an expo... I call that advertising. They easily could have replied by saying "we didn't know, we assumed it was ok because our booth was ok'd" but they didn't. To me, I hear "we don't care that it's against the rules, we're going to advertise it anyways."

It is not Numale's responsibility to know if their treatments are banned in competitions. They are, in theory, treating "disease" states. It is the users' responsibility to know what they are putting in their bodies.

This complete failure is on the hands of USAT. No amount of shifting the blame to the LOC or anyone else changes that. They fooked up, period.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for expressing your concerns about NuMale Medical Center's presence at this prestigious event. We are committed to supporting the communities we serve. We were there to show our support, not to advertise Testosterone Replacement Therapy or any other medical services to the athletes. This was a well attended event and we had the opportunity to interact with the great people of Omaha.

www.numale.com
866-205-8262

So that's their response to your piece, Jordan. They say they're not "advertising" but having that pop-up banner in an expo... I call that advertising. They easily could have replied by saying "we didn't know, we assumed it was ok because our booth was ok'd" but they didn't. To me, I hear "we don't care that it's against the rules, we're going to advertise it anyways."

It is not Numale's responsibility to know if their treatments are banned in competitions. They are, in theory, treating "disease" states. It is the users' responsibility to know what they are putting in their bodies.

This complete failure is on the hands of USAT. No amount of shifting the blame to the LOC or anyone else changes that. They fooked up, period.

Bingo! I don't fault the company for trying to put their product in front of an audience. Whoever is in charge of the expo dropped the ball.

This reminds me of IM Chattanooga last year. There was a vendor offering hydration services via IV both before or after the race. I'd seen them at a couple of other races. I asked the managing partner if he understood USADA/WADA regulations on IVs. He assured me that they were in compliance. When I produced proof via USADA's page, he told me there was a misunderstanding. Much like USAT AGNC, here was a company at an Ironman expo providing services that were not compliant with USADA.

I haven't seen them at any races this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, to be consistent, shouldn't the contact info for the company be redacted from these posts and the article comments page? Really, seems like the company has just taken advantage of the controversy to do more advertising.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that thinks this isn't a big deal? You can't watch TV or there will be all sorts of advertising for all sorts of drugs, every magazine is loaded with supplement crap, and an expo is just another tool for companies to advertise their products. So it would definitely not surprise me to see this stuff happen. Yes it's a little ironic, but if you don't plan on doping yourself it won't impact you. Those that want to dope are probably already doing so. I have a hard time imagining that a booth at an expo will get some people to consider testosterone to improve their race performance... If people are that easily influenced to cheat, they're probably already cheating in other ways...
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
So AMGEN... would not consider to hold stock/work for each of them in any form or function.

For the record: most people on this forum who have at least a modest amount of invested assets own AMGEN stock whether they know it or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other way to look at it is that ST is, for the most part, more astute about these issues than the average triathlete.

Now some dude or dudette triathlete (bc not just males are taking T these days), who has been dragging ass for a bit wanders up to the booth, chats with them, gets some info, walks away. 3 weeks later the go see their PCP or more likely a health clinic, based on the info they got at the expo, get tested then get a script for Androgel or Testim and then compete all without realizing that they are taking a banned substance.

To say that USAT, ITU, WTC or most other NGB's or NGB like orgs are doing an great job at educating the AG ranks about doping would be a stretch.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks this isn't a big deal? You can't watch TV or there will be all sorts of advertising for all sorts of drugs, every magazine is loaded with supplement crap, and an expo is just another tool for companies to advertise their products. So it would definitely not surprise me to see this stuff happen. Yes it's a little ironic, but if you don't plan on doping yourself it won't impact you. Those that want to dope are probably already doing so. I have a hard time imagining that a booth at an expo will get some people to consider testosterone to improve their race performance... If people are that easily influenced to cheat, they're probably already cheating in other ways...

Just because you don't plan on doping yourself does not mean that NuMale advertising at triathlons won't affect you. It will further muddy the waters about what uneducated age groupers think is OK and has a good chance of encouraging someone to say, "yeah, I think TRT would be a good idea for me". Then you have to race that guy.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
So NuMale responded to comments on the front page article that their sign which stated that NuMale can provide testosterone replacement therapy to make you feel younger, stronger and healthier, was in fact not an advertisement but simply support for the community:

www.numale.com
866-205-8262
LOL. Just like something an MBA would say.

They knew exactly what they were doing. And they'll do it again. As long as there are AGs willing to cheat there will be people willing to take their money to facilitate the cheating. Supply/demand.

Solution is dirt cheap testing methods, so top 10 in each AG can be tested, for example, without breaking the bank.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
So NuMale responded to comments on the front page article that their sign which stated that NuMale can provide testosterone replacement therapy to make you feel younger, stronger and healthier, was in fact not an advertisement but simply support for the community:

www.numale.com
866-205-8262

LOL. Just like something an MBA would say.

They knew exactly what they were doing. And they'll do it again. As long as there are AGs willing to cheat there will be people willing to take their money to facilitate the cheating. Supply/demand.

Solution is dirt cheap testing methods, so top 10 in each AG can be tested, for example, without breaking the bank.

I agree on the cheap testing methods, however, I think there would need to be a buttload more out of competition testing to really catch the true cheaters. These guys at the top who are doping likely have a pretty good routine now about when they need to back off/stop. Whereas an out of competition testing routine scheduled around everyone's build....I bet you would catch a tonne more.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
And, I also didn't appreciate the fact that i found a christian evangelizing card in my swag bag.
There's a time and place for everything. IMO, a National Championship event is not a place to try and "convert someone"

x100. At least it wasn't as bad as the Wildflower fake Gatorade posters every 100 yards trying to convert you.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pffft, I'm not surprised they had a booth there and that was USAT's reply. I raced there and the entire event was a $*%#show. One example: USAT, you ran out of water. USAT passed the buck saying it was under local race management and that's where the fault lies. This was our age group national championships and it was a disgrace. I'd never go back.

Quote | Reply
I think that people are missing an important detail here.

Numale's motive is NOT to encourage cheating at the front of the pack.

Numale's goal is more insidious.

Numale IS hoping to associate its brand with "triathlon," with an "active lifestyle", and with "health."

It is also hoping that BOP finishers and casual triathlon participants will associate their brand with better achievement.

This is just a simple case of legal but fraudulent behavior.

The TRUTH is that Numale's product is meant for:
pathetic, sick men that need an artificial boost to meet a minimum level of masculinity.

Worse it is a product that has the alarming side effect of permanent emasculation. It makes the user permanently dependent on the product for any semblance of masculinity.

My question is:
Why would USAT want to be associated with this?
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Aug 30, 16 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
And, I also didn't appreciate the fact that i found a christian evangelizing card in my swag bag.
There's a time and place for everything. IMO, a National Championship event is not a place to try and "convert someone"

x100. At least it wasn't as bad as the Wildflower fake Gatorade posters every 100 yards trying to convert you.

Did you read the cartoon marketing material that God put out?

It was hilarious!!!!!

There was something about getting a time penalty for extra-marital sex.

Well.....
I had a pretty good race......
But apparently, some people's races were MUCH better.

Where is Jimmy Riccitello?
He needs to explain to us how this extra-marital sex penalty relates to the rule about outside assistance!

Seriously though I really wish I had kept the information.
Great comedic value!
And "local flavor"!
Much more innocent than the Numale thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it's not their responsibility to know ahead of time and agree that's the USAT's ball and they dropped it. My point is that they came onto Slowtwitch, were informed that their product is against the rules, and rather than say "sorry, we didn't know" they lied about "not advertising" which, to me, says "screw your stupid rules, we want to sell T."
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
I noticed. Thanks for highlighting this, Jordan.
What a black eye for USAT....how the F$% could they not know what was going on in their own expo?

Apples and Oranges... seriously one's eternal soul is an anywhere anytime sort of thing... you might examine why you feel so threatened by a pamphlet. I'm not saying that with a finger in your face arrogant way, but as a serious question. Your eternity and a silly sporting event really are on two vastly different levels of importance. Any setting to spread the gospel is a good thing. Someone put that in the packet because they love you. It's not a cheat, it's not a lie... it's the gift of life my friend.

Yes the NuMale is hard to fathom being there... what an oversight by USAT. I'm guessing a huge lesson learned.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
What a black eye for USAT....how the F$% could they not know what was going on in their own expo?

Apples and Oranges... seriously one's eternal soul is an anywhere anytime sort of thing... you might examine why you feel so threatened by a pamphlet. I'm not saying that with a finger in your face arrogant way, but as a serious question. Your eternity and a silly sporting event really are on two vastly different levels of importance. Any setting to spread the gospel is a good thing. Someone put that in the packet because they love you. It's not a cheat, it's not a lie... it's the gift of life my friend.

Yes the NuMale is hard to fathom being there... what an oversight by USAT. I'm guessing a huge lesson learned.

Let's just agree to disagree on the unsolicited attempt to save my eternal soul.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
stringcheese wrote:

It is not your job or anyone else's (and certainly not someone I don't know who stuffs a pallet in a bag) to "save my eternal soul."

i'll just leave aside whether it is a cheat or a lie....something tells me we won't agree.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply

Prev Next