Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: international flight check in [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All true, but I would submit that, if your passport is expired, getting there early won't fix anything, most people flying on this guy's flight from Nashville to Chicago will not be people who don't speak English, and most people will not be bringing more luggage than usual for this particular flight segment, because it's a normal domestic flight.

There are, of course, valid reasons to arrive early and to require early arrival for international flights. I'm not certain that many of them apply to this guy's domestic segment.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or they are within 6 months and you can't fly. Did you know that?

Not true across the board, but is common for certain destinations to not allow people with less than 6-months life left on the passport in. You just have to make sure whichever country you are flying to has this requirement.

If you are traveling internationally, check out the passport requirements for the country you will be visiting here.
Quote Reply
Re: international flight check in [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
All true, but I would submit that, if your passport is expired, getting there early won't fix anything, most people flying on this guy's flight from Nashville to Chicago will not be people who don't speak English, and most people will not be bringing more luggage than usual for this particular flight segment, because it's a normal domestic flight.

There are, of course, valid reasons to arrive early and to require early arrival for international flights. I'm not certain that many of them apply to this guy's domestic segment.

I agree on the domestic side and am with you on his Nashville check-in.

On the general international side, you'd be surprised at what people will argue about or not understand, all which takes time....
Quote Reply
Re: international flight check in [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
or they are within 6 months and you can't fly. Did you know that?

Not true across the board, but is common for certain destinations to not allow people with less than 6-months life left on the passport in. You just have to make sure whichever country you are flying to has this requirement.

If you are traveling internationally, check out the passport requirements for the country you will be visiting here.

Correct. Some countries will allow you in but you have to pay a fine (Taiwan). Point being, this stuff all takes extra time and explanation at the counter.
Quote Reply
Re: international flight check in [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Only flown out of the country a couple of times, but both times I flew from Boise, ID to either Chicago or some other Eastern hub and then on to Europe. Boise airport is always a ghost town so you don't typically need to arrive anymore than 30 minutes before your flight. However, both times I left, they "selected me for a random bag check". Pulled me aside to the little room then went through my bag and swabbed everything. Didn't take forever, but it added 20-30 minutes. They got my sister both times as well, doubt there was anything "random" about it. Do that in a busy airport and it is going to add some time.
Last edited by: aarondb4: Aug 30, 16 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: international flight check in [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
slowguy wrote:
If your first flight is domestic, there's really not much need to get there any earlier than you would normally. If you were getting right onto an international flight, there's still usually not much need to fully double your time, but it does take a little longer. Passport checks add a few minutes, and depending on the airport, they might do a separate screening to let you into a waiting area, or from there before you get onto the plane.

You're not getting it either. If the first leg of the flight is part of one ticketed international trip, it's considered international travel and all rules and regs for international travel apply... even if the first leg is domestic.

For example: last year I flew to Asia. Houston to Los Angeles to Tokyo to Okinawa. Houston to LAX was considered part of my international flight and the international rules applied. If I would have shown up at Houston and hour before my flight because "I thought" it was domestic... I wouldn't have been able to board the flight. Even if 95% of the plane was on a domestic ticket and could show up just 1 hour before take off. I couldn't do that.

" If the first leg of the flight is part of one ticketed international trip, it's considered international travel and all rules and regs for international travel apply... even if the first leg is domestic."

This gets to the gist of my question. What are those "rules and regs"? What is done differently when my domestic flight is leg 1 of an international flight? I can't tell that anything is done differently except that they ask me for a passport rather than a driver's license. I think I will ask when I check in Friday if it's not busy. I doubt if they attendant will both know and tell me, but I am going to ask.

For what it's worth, I plan to arrive plenty early. I probably won't get there 2 hours in advance, but I'll be close, and might actually make it the full 2 hours early unless traffic is bad. My question is driven by curiosity rather than practicality. I don't have anywhere near a full 2 hours in Chicago by the way. That is where it could be a little tight, although obviously I don't have to check bags there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I agree on the domestic side and am with you on his Nashville check-in.

On the general international side, you'd be surprised at what people will argue about or not understand, all which takes time....
The biggest argument from passengers traveling internationally is the cost/weight of luggage. This happens with domestic travel as well but most travel with too large carry-ons that do not allow for others to be stored. Offering to do a free check-in adds to the take off time.

Quote | Reply
It's just a recommendation to get through security based on past data. You not actually going through additional rules and regulations that you need to be aware of. More than likely you will get through no problem. I'm sure it's based on a worst-case scenario from their whatever optimization analysis has been performed.
Quote Reply
Re: international flight check in [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that it can be a big crapshoot at BNA on how long the lines are. I always have TSAPre and have cruised through, back door at home to gate in less than 20 minutes and then a week later in 60 minutes due to huge lines everywhere. And last week they had one line only partially working due to a broken belt on the bag conveyor in the TSA line (terminal 2).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next