Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

World Championships- Bike Rules
Quote | Reply
I'm qualified for the ITU LC Du Worlds in 2017 and I read that they follow ITU rules (obviously) but the ITU rules say that bikes must follow UCI regs.... so, does that mean for this event (non draft legal) there can't be any BTA or rear hydration mounts? It looks like some athletes from this event in the past have used them, but if I'm reading the rules right, that is not allowed.

Anyone have experience with this?

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [triathlonpal07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty loose race rules wise. I would not worry about the hydration setup.
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [triathlonpal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTA cage should be fine. The ITU rules refer to the UCI rules for the definition of a bicycle... Meaning non-traditional frames are illegal unless specifically exempted. If you look at pages 25-29 in the ITU rule book (section 5.2) they outline gear rules. The only mention of BTA bottles is in mentioning that they are illegal for elite/U23/junior draft legal competition (and de facto for AG draft legal, since aero bars are illegal)... For non-drafting event such as long-course tri, you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, That's where I was looking. It looked like it was ok since it wasn't mentioned, but that UCI rules line threw me for a loop there. So would the whole 4:1 rule apply to tube shapes even though it's not mentioned?

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [triathlonpal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically it doesn't for Tri. Officials aren't looking for frame stickers to see that the frames are UCI approved, as they now do for bike racing. What you can expect to get checked is the seat bottom Bracket offset, and that any bar ends are plugged (and that bars don't extend too far). The shape rule that is of note for Tri is the non-traditional frame geometries...
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Typically it doesn't for Tri. Officials aren't looking for frame stickers to see that the frames are UCI approved, as they now do for bike racing. What you can expect to get checked is the seat bottom Bracket offset, and that any bar ends are plugged (and that bars don't extend too far). The shape rule that is of note for Tri is the non-traditional frame geometries...

Resurrecting an old thread here... I specifically asked an official via email for the 2018 ITU LC Worlds about legality of certain bikes in light of the allowance of some new "non-traditional" bikes with fully integrated hydration, non-triangular frames and so forth. My question was about the Cervelo P5-Six, being a non-UCI legal bike due to the front fork and the brake beard. They referred me back to the section in the rules and said if in doubt about the legality of my bike, to apply for an exemption. That seemed like a total cop-out to me because the P5-Six is such an ubiquitous Tri bike, I just wanted a straight answer from a LC race referee whether that bike was on their list of approved bikes. So my question is to any athlete who has raced a P5-Six with the low base bar at the ITU LC Worlds in the past: Any issues with the officials?

I also posed a question on whether a front hydration system like the Torhans Aero30 is to be allowed. Once again, no straight answer. I really don't want to travel all the way to Denmark and then at the last minute get surprised by a race official and told to change things. Once again the question to past ITU LC Worlds athletes: Any problems with the officials using front aero hydration systems?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be contacting your national federation for details. They should provide you with all information needed to compete for them/your country.
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do contact your NF, and your NF is USAT, make sure you explicitly mention you are inquiring relating to ITU worlds... USAT rules are not the same as the ITU... There are several ITU certified officials within USAT's ranks, but it's a tiny percentage of their overall officiating workforce...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P5X is on this list so I would think the P5six would be OK as well

https://www.triathlon.org/...titions_20170711.pdf

Anyway, here is the form if you need it

https://www.triathlon.org/...nusual-bicycles.docx

Hope this helps

Edit: From the Cervelo P5 page:
https://www.cervelo.com/...riathlon/p-series/p5

...Mary Beth Ellis and Jodie Swallow’s 2015 and 2016 ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships...

So they were legal in 2015 and 2016, I would think they still are now.
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 22, 18 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced LC Worlds in Penticton last year. For LC Tri they don't really care about the bikes at all. All they check for is motors (with the ipad magnetometer). I raced a Felt IA with a Torhans Aero 30 upfront and an Xlab Turbo in the back. The mix of setups you see is the usual stuff you see at IM events. I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing you have to do is wear your bib number during the bike portion.
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the ITU still enforce bottom bracket saddle nose setback requirements?

Also, they specifically allow some alternative geometry bikes but is there any policy on bikes like the shiv and IA due to the 3:1 tube ratio? I suspect not since they cannot say if a p5-six is legal or not....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Feb 22, 18 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
I raced LC Worlds in Penticton last year. For LC Tri they don't really care about the bikes at all. All they check for is motors (with the ipad magnetometer). I raced a Felt IA with a Torhans Aero 30 upfront and an Xlab Turbo in the back. The mix of setups you see is the usual stuff you see at IM events. I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing you have to do is wear your bib number during the bike portion.

Exactly the info I was looking for! Also thanks to the other responders for very helpful additions! I'm an ITU virgin, having competed only at IM or locally branded events here in Canada, so with the rules referring to ICU compliance in certain events and generally devoid of specific guidance for the LC AG event, I had some concerns I was missing a component of the rules! I do wonder, however, why a 2018 race official couldn't say so?!

Cheers,
DM
Quote Reply
Re: World Championships- Bike Rules [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They didn't at LCW in 2013, 2016 or at DL sprint in 2016.
Quote Reply