Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Maryland - Friday Check in
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks,

I was looking at the athlete guide and noticed that there is check in on Friday 9/30, the day before the race. I wasn't aware that Ironman allows athletes to check in the day before the race. Can anyone confirm this? Could it be a Typo?

Thanks,

Henry
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland - Friday Check in [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friday 11 to 2 listed twice in the event schedule and the athlete guide. Nice. Now rethinking coming down on Wednesday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's definitely unique. I checked the other upcoming North American races and the only other one that has day before athlete registration on the schedule is North Carolina.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes it can be RD specific. The first year at IM Maryland, Friday check in was allowed. Last year, it was originally not an option, but then there was the whole issue of the rescheduled date. They allowed Friday check on the rescheduled weekend. Probably this specific RD having the experience of Friday check-ins and asking WTC to allow it at this one race to be more customer friendly ****gasp****

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Hi Folks,

I was looking at the athlete guide and noticed that there is check in on Friday 9/30, the day before the race. I wasn't aware that Ironman allows athletes to check in the day before the race. Can anyone confirm this? Could it be a Typo?

Thanks,

Henry

Interesting. Is it hard to get accomodation for this race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They offered Saturday check in for Lake Tahoe as well, in an effort to boost numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this must be a late-breaking change to the schedule. i went out of my to make sure when reading the guide before today that check-in was required no later than Thursday. sure, i could have been mistaken, but i specifically looked for this !!!

i actually printed the 2016 athlete guide over a week ago. it's at home, and i'll def check this when i get home later.
Last edited by: adablduya1: Aug 29, 16 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland - Friday Check in [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elsa wrote:
They offered Saturday check in for Lake Tahoe as well, in an effort to boost numbers.

Seems to be pretty standard when there are both 70.3 & 140.6 races being run together. IM North Carolina weekend schedule also indicates day before check in this year.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland - Friday Check in [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of a few weeks ago, when I signed up, Friday check-in was not available. I even emailed the RD asking about exceptions to the rule and they said that there would be no exceptions. Seems like a late change due to them not being sold out and making it easier for athletes to book accommodations.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland - Friday Check in [mcnocera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for that clarity, i thought i had lost it. i specifically looked and looked again on that ! kind of a pisser, though, because i bought airline flights to come in Wednesday JUST so i could be there for Thursday check-in. now, i could have traveled Thursday. so it goes....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get clarification on this? I have an athlete that would love to check in Friday. Thanks for starting this thread!

hwangnyc wrote:
Hi Folks,

Thanks,

Henry

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland - Friday Check in [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race director chimed in on the FB page and confirmed. Friday check in is 11-2.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is huge for me. Thank you for the heads up!

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland - Friday Check in [benhawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a confirmation email as well. Friday check in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is ridiculous. I was going to sign up but couldn't stomach the additional night stay, which would have cost me an additional two hotel rooms for the family, plus food, plus another day off work. So I signed up for Watermans Half instead. The only thing I can figure is that Ironman made some sort of agreement with the locals to force check in on Thursday in order to increase hotel and food revenue.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Maryland - Friday Check in [eburgers69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eburgers69 wrote:
That is ridiculous. I was going to sign up but couldn't stomach the additional night stay, which would have cost me an additional two hotel rooms for the family, plus food, plus another day off work. So I signed up for Watermans Half instead. The only thing I can figure is that Ironman made some sort of agreement with the locals to force check in on Thursday in order to increase hotel and food revenue.

that is EXACTLY what i surmised. i had to plan my air travel for Wednesday to support the Thursday check-in, necessitating a hotel stay for Thursday. good thing i have a work-around and can cancel the Thursday hotel. don't mind too much having the day clear for Thursday, though, but would have traveled then had i known i didn't have to check-in till Friday.
Quote Reply