Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose an upgrade for my P2
Quote | Reply
I'd like to reward myself with some new toys for the bike at the end of this season (after Austin 70.3). My current setup is 2015 P2 with Hed stinger 5's (transferred these from my road bike when I got in to tri) and garmin vector 2s power meter. Aside from saddle change and hydration setup, the bike is otherwise stock. I'm considering one of two paths (can't justify spending the cash for both).

Option 1:
Change cockpit and upgrade to electronic shifting. Thinking zipp vuka and ultegra di2.

Option 2:
Deeper race wheels. Maybe Zipp 808 tubular or Hed Stinger 9 (I like tubulars)

I really like the electronic shifting idea as this gives me shifting on the bull bar (would be nice for climbing and riding the tri bike more). I'm guessing the incremental aero savings from my current wheels to deeper, while observable, is probably not a huge gain (could be totally wrong). What say ye slowtwitch? Deeper wheels or new cockpit and di2? Which one would you pick and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [tri_curious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always wheels IMO. Aero is king. I also would recommend a disc cover. Cheap increase in speed.

Di2 is a great option, although I don't think your bike is properly setup for it?

I'm excited to see what you choose!

I am a bad runner.
I met Javier Gomez once.
I don't speak in miles.
I have opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig Omega
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheels. They'll make you faster. Di2? Not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But my a cheap wheel over and update that shit cockpit that came with the p2.
That will get you faster. Pay for a fitting? Money well spent. Di2 is nice if you really want to spend the extra cash.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a fellow Cervelo owner (2011 P4), definitely go with new wheels. I used a Zipp 900/404 setup but just switched to a pair of Enve 8.9s. Any good set up of aero wheels will give you best bang for your budget.

ps....both my sets are clinchers which you might want to consider
Last edited by: gphin305: Aug 30, 16 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at this... the P2 modified by the TriRig guys. Now that's an upgrade!

edit forgot the link http://www.tririg.com/...ervelo_New_P2_Review
Last edited by: Benv: Aug 28, 16 20:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine that there is much time to be gained from going from your 50s heds to an 808. Get a new front end, omega front brake and a disc cover... If you can afford it go with di2.

good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri rig brakes and either alpha x or their older basebar. Flat basebar and tri rig brakes will dramatically clean up your front end w cabling and etc. I have 2015 p3 and did the tri rig brakes and 3T flat basebar and cables are essentially invisible (yes i have mechanical as well).

Di2 doesn't make you faster. You can get a set of Flo 90/disc for great deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you buy something that does not improve performance (electronic shifting).

In my opinion I would get new cranks (rotor q rings) (unless you are in my age group... then they are bad, very very bad).

If you are set on a new set of wheels I would get the Zipp's. 808 carbon clincher.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were going to create a ranked list of likely incremental speed versus cost, then I would rank them in this order:

1) Aero front brake (highest value because of its relatively low cost)
2) Aero cockpit (high cost, but also high impact)
3) Deeper wheels (very low value, because of low incremental impact from your current 50s and high cost)
4) Upgrade to a stiffer, more aero crankset
5) Di2 (very low value because of high cost and limited speed increase, but very cool)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears that the only weak-point on your P2 is the front end, if in fact it is limiting you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the same bike.....with FLO 60/90's and some intangible upgrades.

I'd likely get a lot more aero, if I would lose 10#'s. :)

I have a brand new FLO Disk I haven't put a tire on, yet. The potential time savings between it and the 90 mm rear are miniscule. I can't think of anything I'd like to do to mine (bike), except upgrade the crank. Anyone know which adaptor I'd need? I'm guessing the OP and I have the same FSA crankset.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you are switching to, but I have an extra BBRight - SRAM gxp adapter laying around if anyone needs one.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the input! Looks like I'm going to clean up the front end - new cockpit and aero brake. I may still do di2 - I really like the second shifting position but $1k is a fair bit of change for a "nice to have"
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
As a fellow Cervelo owner (2011 P4), definitely go with new wheels. I used a Zipp 900/404 setup but just switched to a pair of Enve 8.9s. Any good set up of aero wheels will give you best bang for your budget.

ps....both my sets are clinchers which you might want to consider

Well that was a step down. Give me your P4 so I can make it fast again.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vuka stealth and omega tririg

The advantages in changing the wheels are just reaaallly worth it if you can go 35km/h

Look for the videos the guys fron GCN did

Also consider going for a test on your position,
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [xtianspuma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtianspuma wrote:
Vuka stealth and omega tririg

The advantages in changing the wheels are just reaaallly worth it if you can go 35km/h

Look for the videos the guys fron GCN did

Also consider going for a test on your position,

This exactly - Vuka stealth + tririg brake (and hidden rear brake cable) has given me noticeably faster times this year with similar wattage
Last edited by: loosegroove: Aug 30, 16 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in a similar boat for next year with my P2. I've just started doing some research and will probably go with Flo or Hed race wheels as my first upgrade (standard rims right now) and maybe a TriRig break. The aerobars have me intrigued. How much time do you guys think you would actually save over the course of an Ironman by upgrading from a stock aerobar to something like the Zipp Vuka Stealth or the TriRig setup? I have a hard time justifying 50% of the cost of the bike just for a new front end!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I am in a similar boat for next year with my P2. I've just started doing some research and will probably go with Flo or Hed race wheels as my first upgrade (standard rims right now) and maybe a TriRig break. The aerobars have me intrigued. How much time do you guys think you would actually save over the course of an Ironman by upgrading from a stock aerobar to something like the Zipp Vuka Stealth or the TriRig setup? I have a hard time justifying 50% of the cost of the bike just for a new front end!

man, i'm with you. i, too, have a P2 and the cost of a that upgrade is just a little much.

i'm guessing you're looking at a savings of under a minute or two for an ironman. that being said, taking all possible time savings and applying them to you/your ride can be significant over that distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose an upgrade for my P2 [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to look at everything as a $/watt. I can find wheels, helmet, etc but haven't seen anyone pull the front end into the discussion. I'm sure the info is out there, I just need to do some research.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easily the wheels...they'll make you faster.
Quote Reply