Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need a wider set of wheels for training, what to get?
Quote | Reply
Bought some new race wheels (Zipp 808 front and Sub 9 disc) and don't want to have to mess with my brakes everytime I switch back and forth. Any recommendations for a wider training wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Need a wider set of wheels for training, what to get? [iron07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron07 wrote:
Bought some new race wheels (Zipp 808 front and Sub 9 disc) and don't want to have to mess with my brakes everytime I switch back and forth. Any recommendations for a wider training wheel?

Flo 30. Great wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a wider set of wheels for training, what to get? [iron07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just race and train on them full time? Otherwise, you are looking at getting carbon clincher wheels that match the width (to avoid pad changes as well as spacing changes). Otherwise, I would recommend FLO 45 for the most cost-effective option.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a wider set of wheels for training, what to get? [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked at Flo 30's, thought they were sold out but now see them available, that might be my choice
Last edited by: iron07: Aug 28, 16 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Need a wider set of wheels for training, what to get? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of trainer time, didn't want my disc on the trainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron07 wrote:
Looked at Flo 30's, rear wheel unavailable now

Looks in stock to me....

https://www.flocycling.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=130
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aaaah. In that case, I would get any cheap, narrow rear wheel and leave the good wheel on the front. You do not need brakes on a trainer. Then swap back to the disk rear when going outside. If you get wheels with an aluminum track, you will have to swap pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Width is not the only concern when swapping wheels. Don't forget about the type of brakepads. So either train on your racewheels or prepare to buy carbon trainingwheels if you don't want to mess with your brakes at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you wanted aluminum , the Williams wheels are awesome and very switchable with zipps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love mine. I have a 30/30 set, a 60/90 set, and I am going to build up another 30 rear with a Powertap GS hub. I might also upgrade the 30/30 set to a 45/45 carbon clincher set sometime here soon. Great wheels and a great company supporting them.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a wider set of wheels for training, what to get? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if one doesn't brake on the trainer, then why not keep the carbon brake pads on while riding a cheap aluminum rear wheel?
snaaijert wrote:
Width is not the only concern when swapping wheels. Don't forget about the type of brakepads. So either train on your racewheels or prepare to buy carbon trainingwheels if you don't want to mess with your brakes at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a wider set of wheels for training, what to get? [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
But if one doesn't brake on the trainer, then why not keep the carbon brake pads on while riding a cheap aluminum rear wheel?
snaaijert wrote:

Only just now seeing its a trainer wheel only, that wasnt in the opening post. Then he doesnt need a wide wheel either and we can lock the thread ;)
Last edited by: snaaijert: Aug 28, 16 16:18
Quote Reply