Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift or trainer road?
Quote | Reply
I tried zwift for the first time today and although it was awesome and I liked it, it does seem to suit the more average rider who just wants to be fit imo. Trainer road however from watching YouTube and how they advertise the program is a training tool that helps you achieve success in races. Some I want to use this as a race tool not just for fun should I lean toward trainer road? Or am I way off on my thoughts on the two programs? I also wish trainer road gave a trial just like zwift does.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift or trainer road? [Ngarrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift can do everything trainer road does.. And has the benefit of offering better (imo) visual stimuli. Get zwift and do the virtual races weekly. They will kick your ass and jack your FTP in no time. Couple that with some of the many endurance paced group rides and you'll find yourself easily logging big hours in game.

I've made big gains on the bike this year and it was thanks to a steady diet of zwift racing and group rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ngarrett wrote:
I also wish trainer road gave a trial just like zwift does.

https://www.trainerroad.com/pricing
Quote:
Your first 30 days are 100% risk free. Get your money back if you're not satisfied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What sets trainer road apart are their training plans. Checkout the plans and see if they will meet your needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift or trainer road? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not the same as letting you use the product for a limited time without having to give out the credit card.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift:

Pros - video/audio presentation, community/group racing aspect, real world like Strava segments, good but not great training functionality.
Cons - inability to run several courses at once, needs relatively decent hardware to run on, no iPad native app.

TR

Pros - wide-ranging, well though out, HARD training plans, power match, can run on a door stopper PC.
Cons - mind numbingly boring interface, fairly amateur-ish custom workout creator, no Strava integration, no way to do a real time race against a buddy.

I use both during my Tri training. $22/month saves me a lot of headache of having to figure out the schedule of training outside during the week.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift or trainer road? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's not the same. But you don't have to give out your credit card info, they also take PayPal. And you don't have to talk to anyone about the refund, it's all in the Account Info page.

Even without a refund, it's only $12.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift supports ERG mode and proper training just like any other trainer software would. The guy that won Paris Roubaix this year exclusively did his training using Zwift because he had an injury that kept him off the road. His coach prescribed workouts in there (one of those workouts is now part of Zwift's standard library of workouts). You can use some of the existing workouts, download zwift workouts from the internet, or easily create your own.

If you log into Zwift during a busy time you'll see about 30% of the rides on Zwift are done using the structured training mode, 30% are people doing mass start group rides, and the rest are people just getting base miles in in smaller groups or solo.

Jon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Zwift:

Pros - video/audio presentation, community/group racing aspect, real world like Strava segments, good but not great training functionality.
Cons - inability to run several courses at once, needs relatively decent hardware to run on, no iPad native app.

Although somewhat of a hack, you can force the course via the prefs.xml file on your local machine. Although then you generally don't see many other people, except those people who have also forced a particular course.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift or trainer road? [risslerp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
risslerp wrote:
What sets trainer road apart are their training plans. Checkout the plans and see if they will meet your needs.

THIS. Purposeful workouts. YOu can find those on Zwift (I'm assuming) but I'm not sure if they are strung together. My thoughts after using both (and since discontinuing Zwift) is that Trainer Road is great for purposeful workouts while Zwift is better for social riding. When I'm the former those, I don't care if I'm in an imaginary island or have the most amazing show on the TV, I'm not able to focus on both completing a difficult workout and staying engaged with another stimuli (tv, movie, other riders, whateve). Zwift seems good for the guy who just wants to go out and ride with buddies and getting seat time but isn't too worried about doing exactly workout X.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't get the ant to work on swift.
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
so I use trainer road as I can connect with Bluetooth
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift or trainer road? [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also never got trainerroad to recognize my powertap over ANT, on either mac or PC, and I've tried about six different ones. Every so often I try again on a new device to confirm it still doesn't work. I'm assuming that there are lots of happy power-based zwifters out there, maybe they're using something different to a 2008 powertap and an original ANT stick. Then I lose interest and do trainerroad again.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift or trainer road? [ferretnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original ANT stick is the problem. You need a second generation one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had both for a bit - I am now entirely on TR. Loved both of them, but TRs training plans is what set it apart. In the "offseason" I would think zwift would be better option to mix it up, but when push comes to shove: I'm choosing TR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re Strava integration: you can set TR up to auto export your rides to Strava. I just did this the other day and it populated all my old rides as well. Or did you mean something more/different?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift or trainer road? [Shaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I've been using both zwift with the occasional trainerroad session to keep in shape during the offseason. Now I'm starting to knuckle down to some running and swimming, I'm just using trainerroad and their plans.

I really enjoyed the races and group rides, and the graphics when doing trainerroad. But I'm not willing the pay the extra for zwift for a few hours a week when I can listen to podcasts whilst I'm doing the TR sessions. It's not a lot, but it's more than I paid for my 2 months free trial (thanks strava!).

I don't know if it'll be a success, but that's fine. It's an experiment

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift or trainer road? [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant that it does not have the same capability as Zwift - ie segments, competing virtually, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried Trainerroad. Great plans, but hated sitting on the trainer. It was just too borring!
Got the Zwift and it has the same great plans BUT it is also tremendously fun! I'd recommend Zwift to anyone!
Quote Reply