Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question on FTP
Quote | Reply
Hello,
Have a question about determining my FTP from a Time Trial Result. I am a C3 paracyclist in Ontario Canada, because of my disability I have never really see a great FTP. I always seem to get better results outside in a Time Trial then a 20min test on Trainer Road. Usually I am the only one in my classification at Time Trial, so I do them to see if I am progressing in my training. I am currently self coached.

Lat year I determined through Trainer Road that my FTP was 215. Over the winter I spent a lot of time doing Z2 and Z3 work. In May I started adding some Z4 Intervals, usually 4*7.5min Intervals in a training session. In June I noticed that there was a Time Trial in Fergus, so I signed up. The distance for my classification was 15km. These are the results for the Time Trial on June 18.

236W Max Average Power for 20min according to Garmin Connect
237W Normalized Power
Average HR 177 Max HR 183.
Using these Numbers I determined that my FTP was 224W. Started training using that number.

Coming to my question now. Yesterday was the Provincial Time Trial (Aug 27). Results are as follows with a 15km Time Trial.
Total Time according to my Garmin was 25min. Official Time was 25min 2sec.
Average Power for the 25min was 259W.
NP was 265 over total distance.
Average HR 176 Max HR 184.
Garmin determined the Max Average Power over 20min was 253W with NP of 260W.

Using the same formula of 95% of the Max Average Power of 20min my FTP should be 240W. Now I like to see the higher number, but it seems too high. I know I left everything on the course and I have a few things to work on, can I really believe these numbers?

My training since the June Time Trial has been focused on 4*10min Z4 Intervals on Tuesday, Thursday 6*3min Z5 Intervals, Saturday 2*6 hill repeats, with the first hill set I average 1min a piece, and the second hill is longer and not as steep which I average about 3min, total ride time about 3 hours. Sunday is usually an enjoyment ride outside or a 90min Z2 ride on the trainer.

Three things I learned yesterday. First I need not only need to continue with the hills but not resting at the top but push on for another 100-500m. Stay in the aero position as long as possible. Have to work on that over the winter. Third I need to get a set of rollers to work on riding in a straight line. My balance isn't the greatest because I only have about 40% use of my right leg and about 25% of my right hand.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have and congratulations to all those people that were there yesterday.

Stephan
Quote Reply
Re: Question on FTP [StephanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When riding trainer road are you using the same power meter as when you're time trialing, or are you using power calculated by your trainer?

In general there's quite often a large discrepancy between trainer output, and outdoor output. I think between that, and the additional motivation of it being race day, that makes up for the difference.

I am a bad runner.
I met Javier Gomez once.
I don't speak in miles.
I have opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Question on FTP [MBTRIATHLETE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using a Power Tap G3 hub in a 50mm carbon clincher. On the trainer I use a Power Tap G3 hub in a Bontrager RXL aluminum rim.

I ride I Trek Domane with Di2 because I can't ride a TT bike because of balance issues.

Stephan
Quote Reply
Re: Question on FTP [StephanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I read your post correctly, you started Z4 work in May. I think you're starting to see the physiological adaptations of that work now. It takes time, and June was probably too soon to see the full fruits of your labor. So yes, I'd believe those numbers. Congrats, and keep up the good work.
Quote Reply