Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
Trick I've found is to put a layer of painters tape onto the frame and then stick the race number decals on top of it. After the race, the stickers come off easy without leaving any residue on the frame/stem.

I'd hug you if it were socially acceptable. Great idea.

2013 Steelhead 70.3 official asked me to remove 2012 Steelhead stick or i'd be penalized (during morning set-up). I did not even notice the sticker the entire year. LOL. It was on my stem below my BTA bottle.

Quote | Reply
I bet there is high likelihood that riders that leave stickers on their bikes are also have an imdot tattoo.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HaydenHunter wrote:
I did my first Half Ironman this year and I still have the small stem sticker on there. It will be there until I replace it with the stem sticker from my next Ironman event. And so on....

I worked hard to get to and finish the HIM. That small sticker is a reminder of that effort.

The only one I ever left on was from dnf'ing IMCDA 2003 until I did the race the next year. It was a constant reminder of what a stupid pussy I had been.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Aug 29, 16 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Participants are both athletes AND Customers. Piss off your customers enough and they'll stop doing your events..

But WTC has about 10 times as many people wanting to race as spaces available. Some have made the jump to Challenge or independent races, but the rest of you still keep thinking Kona is the promised land where your every dream will be realized, regardless of whether you'll ever come close to qualifying. WTC has one giant cherry that a huge segment of the tri world want a bite of. They can piss off a lot of people before it impacts their bottom line.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I bet there is high likelihood that riders that leave stickers on their bikes are also have an imdot tattoo.

Well, I left mine on because I put BTA on bar and never noticed it again. I'm sure some leave on as a badge of honor. I'm not one to judge or mock. Everyone has their story.

Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:

FTR the two that got penalized- as well as myself with stickers left on the stem- do not
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non sequitur all around. This wasn't a WTC race
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing no locals got this penalty.

That's how we roll here in SB.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Non sequitur all around. This wasn't a WTC race

My bad. Apparently one of the few races they haven't taken over. The situation sounded draconian enough to be WTC so I made an assumption, and we all know about assumptions.

I have to say that various tri races around the world have rather strange ownership and operational structures. Both WTC and Challenge seem to be poaching each others races (but that seems to have settled down a bit recently)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Entertaining reading with my morning coffee two days in-a-row. Now... if at least one official would check my brakes ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First picture shows bike with the race number clearly readable from the side. Second picture shows numbers that Race Official claimed were the infraction. Who at the USAT do I contact about this? This official needs to be counseled on what constitutes an infraction.

Last edited by: Jedrocks: Aug 30, 16 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [Jedrocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Tattoos. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [Jedrocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jedrocks wrote:
No Tattoos. :-)

Why do you have stem stickers on your top tube?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was only one number visible while riding the bike, and even if these numbers were on the side of the bike, they are used to identify the owner removing the bike from transition after the race and could never be confused with a race number.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you have stem stickers on your top tube?[/quote]
I don't know, that's just where I put them. When I run out of room, then I know it's time to get a new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a twit with 7 of these on his bike this past weekend.

As a race official, I'd give out a penalty for being a narcissist.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whew, thankfully I only have 6 on my Felt base bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jedrocks wrote:
Why do you have stem stickers on your top tube?

I don't know, that's just where I put them. When I run out of room, then I know it's time to get a new bike.

I thought you said you had a new bike?

At least you aren't a total tool and don't show your Kona ones ;)

BTW Chris O apparently got one too. I was two bikes down from you, have 4 on my stem but only the most recent has a visible number, i didn't get popped
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 30, 16 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr. Sulivan,

Your penalty was not appropriately assessed and it is in the process of being rescinded. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Charlie Crawford
Commissioner of Officials
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I'm glad to see this resolution and that there are adults in the organization. I once argued with a ref who was improperly applying a WTC rule to a USAT race. Didn't get anywhere with him, but I wrote USAT afterwards and did get an apology from Charlie Crawford with a note that the official would receive further instruction on the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jedrocks wrote:
Mr. Sulivan,

Your penalty was not appropriately assessed and it is in the process of being rescinded. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Charlie Crawford
Commissioner of Officials

Yep, Charlie is a great guy. He will just call things straight. If they are right, he will tell you why. If they made a mistake, they will
own up to it!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jedrocks wrote:

I have always assumed that the stem/top tube stickers were for the convenience of the volunteer bike catchers so that they could most easily & quickly identify the race number and return your bike to the proper place on the rack. For this reason, I think it is considerate to remove the old numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Jedrocks wrote:

I have always assumed that the stem/top tube stickers were for the convenience of the volunteer bike catchers so that they could most easily & quickly identify the race number and return your bike to the proper place on the rack. For this reason, I think it is considerate to remove the old numbers.

If you see the pics it's all 70.3s for jedrocks. No bike catchers.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - have any of those WTC bike stem stickers on your bike? May get a penalty...... [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
Trick I've found is to put a layer of painters tape onto the frame and then stick the race number decals on top of it. After the race, the stickers come off easy without leaving any residue on the frame/stem.

I wish I had known this a few years ago. Did a local fun ride and can't get my damned number off. They used some insane super sticker. I've picked at it for years. I just put my real race number over it. I hate that damned sticker. It's messing up my ride.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply

Prev Next