Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range
Quote | Reply
Well, this is an interesting development. Now, understand that I think it is absolutely crazy to allow a 9 year old to handle an automatic weapon. That said, Vacca was an instructor at that range and a participant in this activity.

The children of an Arizona gun instructor accidentally killed by a 9-year-old firing an Uzi at a gun range are filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the business's owners.

"The gun range created an unsafe and dangerous environment that ultimately lead to my dad’s death" said Ellie Vacca, the 17-year-old daughter of Charles Vacca, on "Good Morning America" today.

The gun instructor’s family spoke to ABC News exactly two years after the tragic accident, saying they want the owners of the shooting range to be held responsible.

The wrongful death suit claims that the mini Uzi 9MM that fired the fatal shot should never have been placed in the girl's hands.

https://www.yahoo.com/...news-topstories.html

Now, this is after the widow, a few months ago, blasted Team Donkey for a bill it sponsored to keep automatic weapons out of the hands of children at ranges like this.

Stephanie Vacca, the widow of Charles Vacca, a gun range employee killed in 2014 accident involving a young shooter, says that her husband would be “rolling in his grave” over an exploitative bill sponsored by Senator Edward Markey (D-MA) and Congressman Ruben Gallego (D-AZ), called the HEART Act.
. . .
If anything, he’s cussing up a storm, breaking stuff, and screaming and rolling at this point. If anyone that you spoke to, that knew him, even before me, they have all contacted me. The minute that they saw the article, my phone has been … It was on the news. I got phone calls from Vegas, phone calls from Texas, phone calls from New York, phone calls from a friend in Germany. They all called me, they’re like, “What the hell’s going on? Charlie’s spinning in his grave right now.”

http://bearingarms.com/...ting-husbands-death/

I wonder whether he is rolling over in his grave over this lawsuit.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Well, this is an interesting development. Now, understand that I think it is absolutely crazy to allow a 9 year old to handle an automatic weapon. That said, Vacca was an instructor at that range and a participant in this activity.

The children of an Arizona gun instructor accidentally killed by a 9-year-old firing an Uzi at a gun range are filing a wrongful death lawsuit against the business's owners.

"The gun range created an unsafe and dangerous environment that ultimately lead to my dad’s death" said Ellie Vacca, the 17-year-old daughter of Charles Vacca, on "Good Morning America" today.

The gun instructor’s family spoke to ABC News exactly two years after the tragic accident, saying they want the owners of the shooting range to be held responsible.

The wrongful death suit claims that the mini Uzi 9MM that fired the fatal shot should never have been placed in the girl's hands.

https://www.yahoo.com/...news-topstories.html

Now, this is after the widow, a few months ago, blasted Team Donkey for a bill it sponsored to keep automatic weapons out of the hands of children at ranges like this.

Stephanie Vacca, the widow of Charles Vacca, a gun range employee killed in 2014 accident involving a young shooter, says that her husband would be “rolling in his grave” over an exploitative bill sponsored by Senator Edward Markey (D-MA) and Congressman Ruben Gallego (D-AZ), called the HEART Act.
. . .
If anything, he’s cussing up a storm, breaking stuff, and screaming and rolling at this point. If anyone that you spoke to, that knew him, even before me, they have all contacted me. The minute that they saw the article, my phone has been … It was on the news. I got phone calls from Vegas, phone calls from Texas, phone calls from New York, phone calls from a friend in Germany. They all called me, they’re like, “What the hell’s going on? Charlie’s spinning in his grave right now.”

http://bearingarms.com/...ting-husbands-death/

I wonder whether he is rolling over in his grave over this lawsuit.

That girl had a right to bear arms. Who the fuck are you to deny her that right?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
That girl had a right to bear arms. Who the fuck are you to deny her that right?

Not any more than she had the right to vote, but you already knew that.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate the Constitution? Racist!!!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lawyers, money, and no scruples. Pretty simple, tried and true way to get rich quick..

Probably will settle at some point, but like you said, kind of disingenuous of her on the face of it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will the range's lawyers have the hutzpah to file 3rd Party complaint naming the the girl and her parents as defendants? Wonder if they signed a release/indemnity agreement and, if so, what it provides.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Will the range's lawyers have the hutzpah to file 3rd Party complaint naming the the girl and her parents as defendants? Wonder if they signed a release/indemnity agreement and, if so, what it provides.

I hope they do file a third party suit ..... although can you sue a minor?
Last edited by: windywave: Aug 29, 16 16:35
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
although can you sue a minor?

There are no restrictions whatsoever in USA for lawyers filing suits.

Ok. Well there are, but for the most part that doesn't stop them. They probably won't sue the child as it doesn't seem to me that they can prove the child was negligent (tough to prove with children), but her parents/guardians on the other hand might be fair game. What say the litigators?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

They should name Vacca himself in his own wrongful death. He was the idiot that handed an Uzi to a 9 year old.

Besides, wasn't this all "proven" to be a hoax?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They should name Vacca himself in his own wrongful death.

Well that is a defense the range has -- saying he was contributorily negligent. Those laws are complicated and vary from state to state.

Quote:
Besides, wasn't this all "proven" to be a hoax?

36 views. Not quite viral yet. Did swanbird turn you onto that?

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I assume he was not an employee and thus under work comp?
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
So, I assume he was not an employee and thus under work comp?

I dunno, but either way, it would not prevent a wrongful death suit if the family can prove the owner intentionally or negligently maintained an unsafe workplace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge gun advocate but owning and operating guns requires tremendous responsibility. While what happened is tragic I don't think anyone involved exercised good judgement. It's the responsibility of the gun instructor to maintain a safe range and handing a 9 year old girl a fully automatic pistol was a horrible decision. An accident similar to this one happened just a few years ago, the only difference is that a small boy died.

I think the gun instructor made a bad call and unfortunately it cost him his life. As sad as that is it doesn't make the range responsible.
Quote Reply
Re: Family of Charles Vacca (instructor killed by 9 year old with Uzi at NV gun range) files wrongful death suit against range [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I'm a huge gun advocate but owning and operating guns requires tremendous responsibility. While what happened is tragic I don't think anyone involved exercised good judgement. It's the responsibility of the gun instructor to maintain a safe range and handing a 9 year old girl a fully automatic pistol was a horrible decision. An accident similar to this one happened just a few years ago, the only difference is that a small boy died.

I think the gun instructor made a bad call and unfortunately it cost him his life. As sad as that is it doesn't make the range responsible.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I'm torn on this last part. IMO, a child as young as 9 should never, ever be permitted to handle a fully automatic weapon of any kind. Yes, the gun instructor is responsible for making his range safe. But, when the owner says, you will instruct 9 year olds on firing fully auto weapons you only have two choices - agree or quit. Not really balanced choices there. Yes, he agreed to work there. Yes, he handed the 9 year old the Uzi. But, man, I am just torn. I'm not sure the instructor's family should get money from a wrongful death suit when the instructor was complicit in the incident. But I also would have no heartburn seeing this range banned from giving young children access to fully auto weapons.

Quote Reply