Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla Motors and Why we Should Care
Quote | Reply
I got this idea from this post:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6053821#p6053821

The waitbutwhy.com site is fantastic, I go down rabbit holes myself--as everyone does to varying degrees--and this site is basically long blog posts detailing an entire journey down a specific rabbit hole. The one that caught my eye--and caused me to basically forgo work for the better part of two days--is an exhaustively researched, enlightening and engrossing four-part series about Elon Musk and his various companies.

I'll link each of the four parts below, with a very high-level synopsis of the contents. I think the fourth, curiously, is the most interesting and I'll mention why at the end:
Part 1: Elon Musk, who he is at a fairly high level: his background, his companies, the authors opportunity to meet him and profile said companies, and why we should care.
http://waitbutwhy.com/...lds-raddest-man.html

Part 2: Tesla Motors, the history of automobiles, climate change and fossil fuels, electric vehicles and the auto and oil industries, and why we should care:
http://waitbutwhy.com/...hange-your-life.html

Part 3: SpaceX, civilization on Earth, aerospace engineering, space travel, colonizing Mars and eventually further reaches in the Solar System and why we should care:
http://waitbutwhy.com/...l-colonize-mars.html

Part 4: Elon Musk, how he's wired and what makes him 'special':
http://waitbutwhy.com/...ks-secret-sauce.html

Part four was fascinating to me because I never really thought about education, tribalism, the culture of accepting societal norms and dulling creativity in the ways described in the blog but it really makes a ton of sense. Can we 'rewire' ourselves and think more like scientists, not accept the world for what it is and be more successful with more creative, 'chef-like' thinking? I'm incredibly dogmatic in the way I process things, I consider myself a smart person but my software just works fairly quick relative to other people, it doesn't have that norm-challenging, AI component that questions the things I see and experience. I don't know if I'd want it to, I think the world is scary enough as it is--in my comfy job and happy relationships--but it's honestly a very interesting read. I loved all four parts, there's such depth to the information presented and I find Elon Musk and his business ventures to be fascinating even if they're not examined to this depth, but #4 was really the icing on the cake. Would love to get other peoples impressions on any of them, but mostly just wanted to make people aware of this site and the incredible depth he goes into for what are, to me, a bunch of interesting topics.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla Motors and Why we Should Care [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I refuse to let this die without at least one response...so here's that response.

No one's interested in Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla, SolarCity, Mars exploration?
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla Motors and Why we Should Care [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those posts are really long.

Does Musk stand for Anthems? what is his stance on gun control? Is he a Christian or athiest? These are the things that matter.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla Motors and Why we Should Care [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Those posts are really long.

Does Musk stand for Anthems? what is his stance on gun control? Is he a Christian or athiest? These are the things that matter.
I figured it'd be tough sledding getting a thread going with those blog posts as the inspiration...still, the Model 3 is nearing it's first ship date and the Model S is scattered all over the place now; SpaceX has had multiple successful rocket re-landing attempts and there is now real, serious talk about trips to Mars with a goal of colonizing the planet during our lifetime. I find these to be game-changing, revolutionary ideas, well worth the five or six hours it'd take to read through those blogs about those two companies and the man behind them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to be a slow work week so I'll read some of the links. On the surface I don't know what we've gained as a society from space exploration, so I'm not sure why I should be excited about it. NASA has developed a lot of great tech, but what advancements have come from things found or observed in space?

As far as Tesla is concerned I'm not big on electric vehicles yet. I think many people buy EV's because they believe they are helping the environment but about half the US gets their electricity from coal which makes EV's worse than their gas counterparts. That's before we take into account that EV's require about 40% more energy to produce than a gas car and the batteries are made of some really nasty stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla Motors and Why we Should Care [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
It's going to be a slow work week so I'll read some of the links. On the surface I don't know what we've gained as a society from space exploration, so I'm not sure why I should be excited about it. NASA has developed a lot of great tech, but what advancements have come from things found or observed in space?
I think you'll see that it's not so much about 'space exploration' and more about human survival and colonizing more planets that, over time, ensures humans can live beyond any cataclysmic events that are sure to occur over tens of thousands of years (i.e. massive solar flare, asteroid collision with Earth, supernova in our 'neighborhood', the eventuality of the sun dying out).

Quote:
As far as Tesla is concerned I'm not big on electric vehicles yet. I think many people buy EV's because they believe they are helping the environment but about half the US gets their electricity from coal which makes EV's worse than their gas counterparts. That's before we take into account that EV's require about 40% more energy to produce than a gas car and the batteries are made of some really nasty stuff.
Reading the post on Tesla might clear up some misconceptions about this. The one thing I'll say is think about this: pretend every car in the US runs on electricity. Immediate savings because a Kwh of electricity costs less, and is far cleaner, than the alternative. But then think about solar panels charging the re-charge station; think about solar panels charging the superchargers that are being installed around the country (and globe) for people on roadtrips.

We're light years away from anything like that but if Tesla's EV's are successful--and the Model S is universally loved by it's owners and got the best crash test rating of any car ever--and are made cheaper over time we'll be getting into the area where consumers will really start considering EV's as a true option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks interesting and I will read it but it will take a while. Don't expect any response soon.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla Motors and Why we Should Care [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
It looks interesting and I will read it but it will take a while. Don't expect any response soon.
That's fine...just spreading what I found to be fascinating reads. Even if no one posts to this thread I think the blog posts are worthwhile to read and if you're like me and get sucked into stuff like this it's dealing with some pretty incredible and mindblowing concepts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting stuff.

Made it through Part 1 and started Part 2 Sunday.

Interested in Tesla stock, although its definitely risky and high priced.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla Motors and Why we Should Care [PaperChase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaperChase wrote:
Interesting stuff.

Made it through Part 1 and started Part 2 Sunday.

Interested in Tesla stock, although its definitely risky and high priced.

Woulda been nice to get in on that IPO at $20, huh? Hell, it barely budged from that low point through the start of 2013, didn't take off until the Model S was announced and while there was a dip when shipments of the first car was delayed it's been hovering between $150 and $250 for a few years now.

If the Model 3 is a success there's no knowing where Tesla stock will go...it's a HUGE if, but that car has the potential to be a real game-changer--mid-level price point with world class safety and performance.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Aug 29, 16 12:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Tesla stock holder. I bought it on the way up and it has been very good to me. I got it for two reasons. First, because I admire Elon Musk and second because I wanted to be able to tell my son that I invested in the second smartest guy in Silicon Valley. He's a VP for one of the players in Silicon Valley. I set him up so when he said ''who's the smartest?'' I said ''you are, of course!''

I spent a lot of money so I could play a joke on my son but it's worked out pretty good since it's now worth a lot more than I paid.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
I refuse to let this die without at least one response...so here's that response.

No one's interested in Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla, SolarCity, Mars exploration?

There is a lot to absorb but I find it interesting.

I kinda went down the rabbit hole too and checked out some more interesting stuff by Tim Urban. He is a real good liaison man between how a brilliant person thinks (like Elon) and us average simpletons.

I watched a video by him about Artificial Intelligence. Tim explains it in ways I can somewhat comprehend. He uses good example like comparing humans to chimps and how we are smarter than them and how we can completely control them. But if our brilliant scientists developed something like a self improving A.I. system. First of all this feat is so enormous the average person would not be able to understand this process. But imagine if a machine was developed that it's intelligence could grow exponentially (Terminator). While we stay at our best around 140 IQ We like the chimp would be it's inferior as this machine grows to 14,000 IQ...
Think about it- As for mankind. What is more powerful than intelligence. Do we want to be the second- rung?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCzaxZZPmN4

This might explain why I had a hard time staying on target reading over the whole blog (the monkey took over):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
The one that caught my eye--and caused me to basically forgo work for the better part of two days--is an exhaustively researched, enlightening and engrossing four-part series about Elon Musk and his various companies.

I don't give a fuck about the subject to spend that much time on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, my mother, who's made some shrewd stock picks over the years, invested in Tesla awhile back and has a nice gain.
She lives in the Bay Area and follows many of these high fliers closely.

I should probably just make a small investment regardless, but want to read the rest of the articles and a couple analyst reports first. I know the price has a big growth factor included, so I'm a bit hesitant. But the guy is such a genius that sometimes it just pays to ride his wave, although that doesn't always work either.
Quote Reply
Re: Elon Musk, SpaceX, Tesla Motors and Why we Should Care [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCzaxZZPmN4

This might explain why I had a hard time staying on target reading over the whole blog (the monkey took over):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU
I haven't watch the AI talk, will watch it now. But I did watch his TED Talk on procrastination, it was pretty good. I actually liked the blog post on his prep for the TED Talk more--I guess I like reading and deep-dives into subjects more than audio/video. He's great, lots of awesome content on his site and I've barely scratched the surface.
Quote Reply