Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DeSoto wetsuits -- built in cooling trick
Quote | Reply
I discovered this trick by accident when warming up for a triathlon in warm weather a few years ago. If you tend to overheat easily like me, you'll get good use out of it. Maybe everyone already knows about it but I've never seen anyone else doing it so as far as I know, I'm the only who does it. I showed it to some guy at Timberman this year and he was thanking over and over.

It's a great way to keep yourself cool when the weather is warm but the water is still wetsuit legal. Do it right after you do your warmup swim before your swim wave starts.

As the title indicates, it only works with a Desoto two piece. It's just one more great thing about them.

1. Stand in water deep enough to come up to your chest
  2. With each hand, grab the bottom of the Pullover on either side, at the hips
  3. Gently pull out each side out a bit, to create a small "tent" effect in the pullover
  4. Immediately drop down fast low into the water is forced up into the cavity and into the suit

The cool water will actually flow all the way into the suit, including all the way down to your wrists in the sleeves. It feels fantastic.

Try it. You'll thank me.

That is all.
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 26, 16 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto wetsuits -- built in cooling trick [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do something similar with my suit. Pull open the collar a bit and let the chest fill with water. Then as I move around the suit will slide a bit and adjust for a better fit. I then have to go up on the beach so the water flows out the ankles and the suit suctions onto me with the ideal fit.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If, by "warming up" you mean, "peeing my wetsuit," then "cooling off" may be interpreted as "rinsing my wetsuit out" by letting a bunch of water in. Hardly a new concept, but thanks for sharing!

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto wetsuits -- built in cooling trick [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously letting water into your suit is not a new concept. What I was pointing out was how easy it is to do with the DeSoto. No need to even touch the zipper.
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto wetsuits -- built in cooling trick [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did similar on race day.

In training I swim to first bouy, stop, move my suit around, start my watch and then swim.

The penny dropped that in my first race (rolling start) I had no access to the water beforehand. I just took a large cycle bottle full of water, pulled the neck forward, tipped half down it, had a good wiggle around and then repeated.

Works great, the suit 'floats' around for a couple of seconds and then sticks itself back down, it's just anyone stood behind you thinks you've just pissed yourself in the start chute ... lol

Obviously I had tried this a couple of times before the big day :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Sharon on this one... regular suit, just slightly pull out the front of the collar by your neck (no unzipping), duck down, then stand back up. Massive amounts of rinsing water- err, "cooling water."
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto wetsuits -- built in cooling trick [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. No unzip to do it in normal wetsuit. Pull collar out and surface fast. Also good for pee clean out.
Quote Reply
Re: DeSoto wetsuits -- built in cooling trick [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do that in heavy surf and you'll get some nice rash, LOL.

wbattaile wrote:
I'm with Sharon on this one... regular suit, just slightly pull out the front of the collar by your neck (no unzipping), duck down, then stand back up. Massive amounts of rinsing water- err, "cooling water."
Quote Reply