Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

really quick race report from IMMT 11:44
Quote | Reply
Swim: 1:17 - felt I was pushing about a 1:10 pace, but the way back in was a little rough and I was OK with my 1:17 - I'm not a great swimmer

Bike: 6:09 - BBS said I would get a 6:12 (a 3:06 each loop)...I went 2:59 on first loop and a 3:10 on second loop (the wind on 117 didn't help second loop). NP of 189 was right on target for me - my avg power was 169 though. Was very happy with my time...I hammered the up hills (like a dope...I love riding hills) and I took the descents easy (in order to stay rubber side down). I was also trying to enjoy the entire day and have fun. Seeing some of you guys (and Im sure some of these people were "you guys") fly past me on the bike was incredible. I am in awe of the watts people can push on the bike. having a marathoning background, it has taken me YEARS to get to the point I am now, and you guys fly past me and make it look easy. Seeing the pros go by on the bike was also pretty cool. Rapp's dimond with that sick paint scheme was awesome.

Run: 4:03 - felt really good for the first 8 miles and was averaging around an 8:30 (which felt really easy) but as my shoes got soaked from the rain....the downhills and swollen feet (?) caused my toes to start hitting the front of my shoes - on the way back into town (on loop one) I could feel both big toenails would be destroyed (and they are) and for some reason my calves and achilles were starting to ache. Decided to just keep pushing and enjoy the day as much as I could. Second loop was slower and I tried to give encouragement to anyone who needed it, and was even more impressed with the people who were passing me. As a 37 year old male getting passed by a 55 year old woman...you can't help but be super impressed and hope that, when that age is on your calf, you are that bad ass.

what I learned: I can push harder on swim (could have fallen asleep with my effort on sunday) - future target will be 1:10. I need to be more consistent on the bike (as far as power goes) - the high watt surges didn't help my run legs...after some much needed rest, I am going to really concentrate on the bike this fall/ winter and try to increase my FTP...Something needs to give on the bike. I can ride in the 2:30-2:40 range for HIM, so feel like I should be able to ride in the 5:45-5:55 range for IM.

first time to MT - third iron distance race for me.. - a PR by about 40 minutes. Had a wonderful time. Will probably go back in a couple years. People were great, volunteers were amazing. co-competitors were fun to race with...food was good.

I was going to call it quits for long course TRI after this one, but now I can't. If you are on the fence about doing IMMT - just do it. You won't regret it. athlete and spectator friendly.
Quote Reply
Re: really quick race report from IMMT 11:44 [Shaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Enjoyed reading your race report!

I have yet to do a full, so it's always interesting. What about nutrition, special needs bag, and any other details/tricks of the trade (for a soon to be)?

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: really quick race report from IMMT 11:44 [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as nutrition:
going into swim I had two gels - and then one right after in transition.
I made a super concentrated bottle of Hammer perpetuem - somewhere in the 750 calorie range that was on my seat tube. I had a BTA bottle that was just for water. Pretty much every aid station I grabbed a water and filled up the BTA bottle. at the bottom of every hour (0:30, 1:30 etc) I ate a honey stinger waffle, and at the top of every hour I drank from my hammer bottle. Not an exact science, but I was probably in the 300 cal/hour range. I have had luck being able to eat whatever I want on bike rides (assuming I keep my HR low enough) - thats why I am very happy Duplessis comes where it does....I didn't really have the need to eat on those hills.
I probably drank too much water as I had to pee many times - though with the rain....just go on the bike and nobody knows :)

Once onto the run I had a couple packs of chomps with me and I had about 1-2 chomps every 2 miles - and gatorade from the aid stations. On the second loop I got sick of eating anything, and really sick of gatorade, so I switched to cola at every aid station. Because my feet and ankles hurts so much (my run training was lacking going into this race...big time) I walked the second loop aid stations to make sure I got settled in.

for special needs: I just had a tube and extra C02 cartridge in my bike special needs bag (which I didn't need) and no special needs for run.

One thing I can say for sure: be careful what kind of race you pick as a first timer. you want to enjoy it. My second one was in IMLOU and the heat killed me, as a bigger guy (this was when it was in august) My first time was at a small upstate NY race and I wasn't prepared for the bike course - and I wasn't prepared for such a long bike after the swim in wet shorts - bad chafing. Now for every IM race I do: full costume change. There is nothing better than wearing a full bike kit - and if you aren't looking to podium, the extra 40 seconds in transition ain't gonna hurt. I do all my training on the trainer and have gone un to 5 hours at once - so I know I can handle riding with tri shorts for that long, but with IM....anything that can cause your mind to go negative, you want to avoid. For the run I threw on trip shorts and my tri top and only had a little chafing on my shoulders.

feel free to message me with any other questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job and fantastic race report!
Quote Reply
Re: really quick race report from IMMT 11:44 [slippy01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice report. Killed me on the swim and the run. 1:39/6:02/4:36 -- 12:32

How much do you weigh? I went 6:02 on 147 Average Watts (163 Normalized) and I am 175 lbs/ 5'10". I was about .5 mph slower on the second loop despite even power splits, I think Partially due to the wind picking up and partially due to the slingshot effect of passing so many riders on the first loop.
Last edited by: Anachronism: Aug 27, 16 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: really quick race report from IMMT 11:44 [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was tipping the scales at 182 lbs the day before the race. I also don't think I have a particularly aero-position. This year I moved the pads out wider...mainly because my triceps were killing me after 20-30 minutes in aero - now with wider pads: I may be a little slower, but I am a heck of a lot more comfy and can stay in aero for 2 hours straight without having to move.

What kind of wheels/tires/tubes were you running? I have just the bontrager aura wheels that came with my trek SC 7.8, slow butyl tubes and conti GP4000 tires. Was thinking of trying latex tubes at some point, but I didn't want to try anything new for this race. I just looked up my avg power again: it was 159. It appears you were a lot more consistent than me (as my NP was 189). I was a little scared on some of those downhills so just coasted :)

awesome job out there! it was a tough day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the day and your PR. I enjoyed your report and perspective on lessons learned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race and the PR! Fun race indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have HED Jet 6 wheels/ Latex tubes/ GP4000s. I usually coast over 30mph or so also but I try to get into a real aero position if the descent is not too technical. I think it's the uphills where I was most consistent, I tried to stick to the small hill +10%, large hill 20% rule and on Chamin du plais use just enough power so I didn't fall over. There where quite few people who passed me on the uphills that I passed on the next flat and eventually left them behind.

For long course you definitly have to balance comfort and aero.

It was a tough one, nice job to you also.
Quote Reply