Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [kiremma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Gators for a few years on my training wheels, until I got a flat and realized how hard a Gator is to change. I could not remove the tire from the rim to change the tube. Had to call my wife and have her rescue me. Still couldn't get the tire off the rim by any conventional means so I ended up having to cut the tire off the rim, which was a chore in and of itself. It's a tough tire every way imaginable... protection, and getting on or off. This was with a set of Hed Jet 6.

Then I had another set of training wheels with Gators on them and it was also quite the process to remove the tires. This was with a Bontrager Aura 5.

No thanks. I just use GP 4000s for training and racing now.

Those of you that use them to slow you down crack me up. Like it f'n matters how fast you're going in training.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It slows me down on my group ride which forces me to increase power to stay at the front. It also makes me ride longer since I go slower on regular rides. If I spend 10 more minutes at my target power, that's a good thing.

It all depends on what your target goal is.

If speed, get the GP4000s. If it's time at power, tire doesn't matter.

If it's distance and time, Gatorskins make you ride longer to get the same distance.

Not everyone has a power meter.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Maybe the truth just evades your grasp, who knows.?.?

Well that's funny, given that my initial impression of the tires - taken without a Watt meter - was validated by the vast majority of posters on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a power meter?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Do you have a power meter?

No power meter. Haven't been in this sport long enough for the incidentals yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Those of you that use them to slow you down crack me up. Like it f'n matters how fast you're going in training.

Going slower at same wattage is safer.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a stupid question - how does a power meter know what tire you have? Is it because it measures strain and you need more strain on your cranks or hubs or chainrings to push a tire with higher Crr at an equivalent speed as a tire with lower Crr?

Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Higher crr means more power to go the same speed on a tire with lower crr

Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
Yes the Gatorskins are a slower tire than the GP4000s. What many will do is use the Gatorskins for a training tire and the 4000s for a race tire. If 2 sets of tires aren't in your budget or you don't want to switch them off your wheels, just go with the GP4000s moving forward.

This is exactly what I do. I have the Gators on my training rims cause they are like iron. The areas I ride in have some pretty bad roads and bike trails. I have GP4000 on my racing rims. Never had any issues come race day with the transition but would not race on the Gators. But I am fortunate to be able to own a power meter. So I ride at my designated power regardless of what I have on my rims. I frankly just don't like changing tires on the side of the road while training and for the last 2 years on the Gators I haven't done that. Now I went and said it, flat tire coming tomorrow for certain:(
Last edited by: Ironriz: Aug 28, 16 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiremma wrote:
BayDad wrote:
Maybe the truth just evades your grasp, who knows.?.?

Well that's funny, given that my initial impression of the tires - taken without a Watt meter - was validated by the vast majority of posters on this thread.

According to your first post, you were comparing them to the factory tires...Vittoria Rubino Pro...which are shit as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
They are definitely slow tires but I guess it can't hurt to train in them...damn sure wouldn't use them in a race!! I'm curious as to why your LBS recommended those tires? For comparison, I race and train on the same tires (Conti 4000II and/or Conti TT). New tires always for an IM! Once I get 400-500 miles on a tire, it is then a trainer tire only.[/quote
So how often do you replace a tire ? 400-500 miles would be every 3-4 weeks for most olympic distance guys ,,,, maybe every 2 weeks.
]
Quote Reply
Re: Are new gatorskins slowing me down? [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was obvious what I was saying. See post #10 in this thread please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marlin wrote:
I have a stupid question - how does a power meter know what tire you have? Is it because it measures strain and you need more strain on your cranks or hubs or chainrings to push a tire with higher Crr at an equivalent speed as a tire with lower Crr?

Please tell me you meant this to be in pink text.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marlin wrote:

You push the tire and power meter together, when they fall in love they will know everything about each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And you're doing fine.

People on this board will expect you to go out and throw another $1000 out.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply

Prev Next