Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crashing sucks.
Quote | Reply
Today I was ridin- oh wait. Sorry blep. I'll leave.
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing sucks. [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does, kid, and it gets worse the older you get ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no mod here, carry on with your tale

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing sucks. [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Copy pasted from the "other" forum ;)

Not a bad crash, but bad enough to remind me why I don't do it more often.

Mountain biking with a friend today for 2 hours. Some decently tech descents, fast downhill rocky segments. 30 foot rock roll ins. Extremely Sandy and dusty trails. Had a blast.

When we got back near the car, we went to the dirt jumps which share one entrance line for all three sized lines. When I went left for the small line, it was downhill, with pebbles/sand on hardpacked dirt jumpy dirt. Front wheel just slid right out. Small scrape on hand, six or seven inch scrape on the forearm and elbow, pretty sore tailbone. Head hit a little. I definetly need to edit the GoPro footage to remove about 2 seconds of audio...
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing sucks. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. So I've heard. I think i skipped childhood though because i'm not recalling any invincibility so far...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are only two types of bicycle riders - those that have crashed and those that will crash. You`ve just joined the majority.
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing sucks. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I joined long ago.

However, i'm not surprised by this. It was past time for one. I know for a fact that I crashed in April, can't remember any currently since.

Also funny thing that I thought I'd add-

When my friend realized I was down, he came back for me and pulled my bike off and was good about it. He then commented about how I had a fair bit of dust and dirt on my helmet. Ok, I know I hit my head. A minute or two later he asked if I wanted to take off my sunglasses. I reply, "no thanks, they feel fine." About five seconds later I realize what he wants and said, "oh, did you want to check my pupils?" So the fact that I was able to recognize that makes me feel good concussion wise. I think my arm and tailbone took the majority of the fall. Of course I'll still watch for symptoms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chicks dig scars.

Last October, I was riding at a place called The Rock. It is former downhill ski hill that has some great trails back behind it that are not part of the complex. The ski hill has some great runs with a huge downhill segment filled with jumps. The section that was part of The Rock was a pay-for-play trail, but was not making money, so they shut down. The trails are still there, but not maintained. I went down a section I had not been on for about a year and then, only been on it once. I estimate I was going close to 40 mph. I got over a "hump" and saw the trail had been washed out. There was a 6 foot ravine across the trail. No time to stop. The bike went straight into the ravine and I continued down the hill, flying in mid air. I landed on my shoulder, then head, then hip. Once I finally stopped moving, I thought I was dead. I was afraid to move. A guy running on the trail saw it and came running over, screaming. He said he thought I was dead. He helped me pull my bike out of the ravine. Amazingly, it was fine. I still had to ride out of the trail to my car. I thought I was going to die. Drove home and wifie took me to the ER. Doc said she suspected a broken shoulder, collar bone, rib, and punctured lung. I could not breath. X-rays were negative. Doc could not understand it. She said, the good new was - no broken bones. The bad news was - no broken bones. Soft tissue damage is far, far worse than a broken bone. Two days later, I had to fly to Vegas because my son and I were getting "family crest" tattoos. I have never been in so much pain. I wanted to die. But we went on the town after the tattoo sessions and got hammered, which helped. The next day sucked. I was in epic pain for about 2 weeks before it finally started to be manageable.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my scrapes are just high enough to not interfere with my last riding scar...

And you said you were afraid to move. Every time I crash is like that. It's, "oh god, when I move is when I find out that I broke everything." The first laying there part isn't too bad (of course, it's bad, but laying there feels better than moving).

As for the rest of your story. Ouch. When I crashed in December it wasn't anything like what you describe, but driving home sucked. Then had to go sit through a school play. The next morning went to the er and got X rays. Nothing broken, minor shoulder sprain. Sling for like 3 days. Whatever. Of course, you have the option of alcohol. I don't. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelokid wrote:
Of course, you have the option of alcohol. I don't. :)

It's the only way to survive the crashes when you are old ...

Oh, one more thing, stay in school and don't do drugs! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Cervelokid wrote:
Of course, you have the option of alcohol. I don't. :)

It's the only way to survive the crashes when you are old ...

Oh, one more thing, stay in school and don't do drugs! ;-)
Awesome, thanks for the advice, I'll live by it.

Oh, and that school thing too ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, how do you know if you have a concussion? I looked at a list of symptoms on the mayo clinic, and I definitely hit a few of them. I feel fine now (aside from arm, hip, and tailbone) though. So how do you know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always worked for me-look at the sun, if you feel dizzy...BINGO!! (Bright light)

Not scientific, but has been very accurate for me, I have had far too many (diagnosed by doctors as well as the sun)
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing sucks. [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bright lights aren't affecting me. However, I can't remember simple things from the minute or two after I crashed, I stood up really slowly with the help of my friend and still got REALLY dizzy and had to sit back down, definitely had ringing in my ears for several minutes...

I don't know if i'm being paranoid.

Oh and my helmet has quite a bit of dirt on it, and i'm pretty sure I remember a good head smack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really suggest you get checked out. It's not something you can self-diagnose. and it's a big deal if you have a concussion. can lead to problems later etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ya-I would take it easy for a few days minimal...

My last one, same deal, bike crash...blacked out, was with a buddy, had him call my wife for a pick up...don't remember much of it...do remember on the drive home that I had to go to work on Monday because I was pretty sure I had a job...yup def had a job, just not sure where it was...checked my email accounts, yup, found my work one, now where in NYC is it? An hour or two later things became "clearer"...based of my history dealing with this TAKE IT EASY, rest, darker rooms...REST, and if possible see a Dr., who will say REST...

Feel better, REST...oh and those around you will love how grouchy you may be, its part of the fun of hitting your head really hard....REST

Pots
Quote Reply