Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jury duty, Questions on the questionnaire
Quote | Reply
Going through all the questions on this thing and some are just crazy, my favorite is...

Have you displayed any bumper stickers on your car in the past year?

If so what did it say?

I don't put stickers on my car but my wife and I were laughing at this question, she came home laughing the other day at a bumper sticker she noticed on a car "Trump That Bitch" she said I should list this on the questionnaire. Not necessarily how she or I feel about either candidate but it's a funny bumper sticker anyway.

These questions are silly
Quote Reply
Re: Jury duty, Questions on the questionnaire [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats funny as I just got around to watching the movie the Judge last night. Robert Downey JR and Robert Duvall are excellent in it, and it is a pretty good story. Downey plays a super smart lawyer and ends up in small town USA defending his dad the judge on murder charges. WHen picking the jury he asked one question, "do any of you have bumper stickers on your cars, and then proceeded to ask what each one said." on that basis he kept or denied jurors for the trial. Apparently he had decided he wanted nut cakes, their minds are more easily led down the path you want. Sure if the movie was a little newer there would have been Trump bumper stickers mentioned..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? You find that silly?

Assume the case involves a police officer who shot a suspect. One of the jurors has two bumper stickers. One says "We back the badge" and the other says "This car protected by Smith and Wesson." You don't think that is relevant as to whether either attorney wants to use a challenge to strike that juror?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Jury duty, Questions on the questionnaire [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would something like a bumper sticker be ground for a challenge for cause or would it just be a peremptory challenge?

Quote Reply
Re: Jury duty, Questions on the questionnaire [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Would something like a bumper sticker be ground for a challenge for cause or would it just be a peremptory challenge?

Depends on the bumper sticker. If the defendant was a minority and the bumper sticker was that of a hate group, most likely it would justify a challenge for cause. If the lawsuit was against an entity and the bumper sticker showed the person belonged to or was an employee/member of that entity, that could justify a challenge for cause as well.

Bumper stickers are considered big deals. It not only reflects the attitude of the person displaying it, but reflects that the person is proud of that position and wants to hold it out to world.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Really? You find that silly?

Assume the case involves a police officer who shot a suspect. One of the jurors has two bumper stickers. One says "We back the badge" and the other says "This car protected by Smith and Wesson." You don't think that is relevant as to whether either attorney wants to use a challenge to strike that juror?
No, I get why they ask the questions. My wife and I were just having fun with the questions, wondering how they would view the answers if we put down some crazy off the wall comments.

This is my second selection for federal jury duty in the last 15 months. The case was settled last time at the last minute so I got out of it, hoping it gets canceled again this time as well. I was good and answered all questions 100% truthful!.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a 140.6 sticker, would you admit it?

(I don't have that sticker, BTW.)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Jury duty, Questions on the questionnaire [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

no tats no stickers here.
Quote Reply
Re: Jury duty, Questions on the questionnaire [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

I can't stand the 13.1 stickers
Quote Reply
Re: Jury duty, Questions on the questionnaire [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't stand the 13.1 stickers //

No kidding, what a bunch of morons. My 3.1 sticker is the bomb though….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife was asked if her spouse owned guns in a federal drug case. She was asked if she was familiar with guns to.

How was that relevant? Well I don't recall the exact details, but they tried to say that the dealer was in possession of guns and ammo. The gun didn't match the ammo.

The case was largely built on informants things didn't add up as presented by the prosecutor including the "stashed ammo" not matching weapons they found there, etc.

He was pretty much found not guilty on all but a petty charge. Prosecutors chase easy wins, they thought this was and it would have been had they had idiots on the jury. This is why armed robbers and drug dealers go to prison a long time. Easier to convince stupid people of cause and effect. WHite collar crime is a lot more complex to get from cause and effect.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: Aug 25, 16 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. I thought I would get a tat or hang a sticker when I did my first half or first full. Then I realized it wasn't my thing. No insults on some who do. But the only sticker I have is a club sticker.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Jury duty, Questions on the questionnaire [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
My wife was asked if her spouse owned guns in a federal drug case. She was asked if she was familiar with guns to.

How was that relevant? Well I don't recall the exact details, but they tried to say that the dealer was in possession of guns and ammo. The gun didn't match the ammo.

The case was largely built on informants things didn't add up as presented by the prosecutor including the "stashed ammo" not matching weapons they found there, etc.

He was pretty much found not guilty on all but a petty charge. Prosecutors chase easy wins, they thought this was and it would have been had they had idiots on the jury. This is why armed robbers and drug dealers go to prison a long time. Easier to convince stupid people of cause and effect. WHite collar crime is a lot more complex to get from cause and effect.

Hard to say without knowing the details of the case. The relevancy is wide open and it barely takes any relevancy to allow the question. Whether the answer is grounds for striking a juror for cause is a much, much harder case to make. But, you can ask damn near any questions you want, so long as they are reasonable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The relevancy is wide open and it barely takes any relevancy to allow the question.//

I was going to point out the same thing. WHen you have just a couple minutes and questions to evaluate someone, you have to get right at the core of what you think they believe. So very broad things like guns, drinking, religion, race, politics, etc., are the fastest way to clamp it down where someone might swing in your case. And it could go either way, in this case gun ownership could get you thrown out and held in at the same time, might be what both sides are looking at.

I got thrown out just about every time when they found out I was part of the law enforcement crowd. One side really wanted me, but my position was so toxic the other side that they always used their red cards on me. I didn't mind…

And until I watch that movie the Judge, never thought of the bumper sticker thing. Brilliant whoever came up with that one..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recalling from memory the gun and asking my wife who happens to be in the next room. Unmatching ammo were a relevant part of the case and a weapons charge THey had even presented the ammo and gun as related and belonging to the dealer. The weapons belonged to a non-felon who resided in the same home and was not on trial. The shotgun ammo were in the possession of the dealer's stash (not a crime), but no shotgun. The prosecutor had claimed the possession of the shells was evidence the dealer/felon was accessing and using the guns of his roommate (all handguns). The defense attorney obviously caught that and pointed it out. But like anything involving hillary, people lacking knowledge or having bias would likely made the link the prosecutor was making.

Obviously, even minimal familiarity with guns would have made the prosecution nonsensical. My wife who doesn't know dick about guns said it was nonsensical.

Quote Reply