Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sub 1:30 Half Marathon [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conditions were darn near perfect for the run - mid to high 40's and mostly downhill (Austin 3M). My training volume was between 40-55 miles per week for that training block (12 weeks). I honestly think I was capable of at least a minute faster at that point in my running "career" but it just wasn't meant to be on that day.

I live in The Woodlands and have yet to do the marathon or half here. Heck I haven't even done the 10 for Texas race. I can run those course for free anytime I want. Heck, I ran a good chunk of the marathon course between (miles 10-18) on my 10 mile run just this morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 1:30 Half Marathon [Roberto123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roberto123 wrote:
Best 5x1 mile repeat set with 1 minute rest between repeats, as follows: 6:31,6:25, 6:12, 6:21, 5:57

I'd say hell yes you can but this workout suggests that you are laughably bad at pacing, so that is a point to consider when you're racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slow your easy pace to more like 7:50-8:00/mile pace and run 90-100 minutes at that pace 1X/week. It'd be even better if you wore a HR monitor to really know if you are going ez enough. For a 1/2, the start of your race is at the 10K point. Stay on goal pace until this point and don't get swept up in the excitement of the race or others going faster around you...a lot will come back to you, especially in the final 5K.

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 1:30 Half Marathon [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made it a point to build into each mile on that run. I ran into some complications on the fourth mile that slowed me down. When I try to hit a pace on certain runs, I can usually hold it within +/- 2 to 3 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i set 1:30 as a goal for a half last october, and made it with a bit of time to spare. from the sounds of things i think you can do it.

definitely your long runs can and should get up close to race distance, and it's good to get in some steady tempo runs at race pace - something like a few times 3-5k on a jogging rest. my key track workout was 800s, landing at about 3:00. take all the rest you need. as you get fitter, continue adding repeats or reduce the rest interval, but don't change the pace - you should be hitting that pace like clockwork.

i think of the track workouts as being biomechanics training, to teach you to neuromuscularly move at pace. tempo is for tolerance. long runs are for hours on your legs, confidence, and a good chance to test out your gear, nutrition, and pacing strategy.

i'd add a caveat to all this by saying that over the half, a lot can happen - all the little things can play a much bigger role than over the 5k or 10k.

anyway, good luck!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as an update, Today I competed in an olympic triathlon. My 10K time was a 39:49. I think this a good pace marker a month out of the half marathon, let me know what you guys think. Thanks and happy Racing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to run a 1:25 assuming a 38:00-38:30 10k

Train at these paces.

Easy 07:42 - 08:1004:47 - 05:0503:50 - 04:04------Marathon 06:4604:12------Threshold 06:2304:4603:5803:1002:2301:3500:48Interval 05:5204:2303:3902:5502:1101:2800:44Repetition05:2804:0503:2402:4302:0201:2200:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best things you can practice is the negative split. Try running a 31/29 - 31 minutes in 1 direction, 29 minutes back home. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roberto123 wrote:
Just as an update, Today I competed in an olympic triathlon. My 10K time was a 39:49. I think this a good pace marker a month out of the half marathon, let me know what you guys think. Thanks and happy Racing!

You'll have absolutely no problem going sub-90 with that Oly time as a benchmark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never been able to put down times like you have at 5k and 10k and I went just a few seconds (...well, more like 33 seconds if we're going to be accurate) over 1:30 at a half marathon this year. ...So If I can come that close, you should be able to get under.

Do whatever prep works for you! I had a good block of training leading up to the race (including running 21k three times in the six weeks leading up to the race). On race day, I ran hard and I ran by feel.

If you're on that day, you should be able to do it. If you have a bad day, don't sweat it;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roberto123 wrote:

With that result you have got this. For example I ran a 40:10 in an olympic tri in September and then at the end of November with running less than 40 miles a week ran a 1:26:12 in a hilly Half in the end of November.

As long as you shoot for a 1:28 and pace right, you have this in the bag even for a really hilly half marathon. The only thing that can prevent you from going under 1:30 is bad pacing or shooting for a sub 1:25.
Quote Reply

Prev Next