Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for?
Quote | Reply
Completed my first HIM at the weekend. Apart from a mechanical, all targets hit.

While I have suffered from DOMS before, I have been completely blindsided by the levels after the race. For 2 days, I have been pretty much unable to walk downstairs properly, having to side-step instead. Today I was able to slllllooooooowwwwwwllly walk downstairs normally, but even then I had to restrict the pressure to a minimum. Even a recovery ride tonight was a lot more of an effort than it should be.

Believe me, I have had DOMS before from weights, but it always went away after 48 hours, I am now on 90 hours and my VMO and inner thighs are very painful to the touch. I can't imagine trying to foam roll right now!.

Anyone else suffer like this? It's just something that never happened in training, even with fairly solid brick sessions (zero DOMS)

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've hurt worse after my best 1/2IM runs than after my best IM runs. One time that sticks out in my mind, I think it took 4-5 days before feeling back to normal again.

Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
Completed my first HIM at the weekend. Apart from a mechanical, all targets hit.

While I have suffered from DOMS before, I have been completely blindsided by the levels after the race. For 2 days, I have been pretty much unable to walk downstairs properly, having to side-step instead. Today I was able to slllllooooooowwwwwwllly walk downstairs normally, but even then I had to restrict the pressure to a minimum. Even a recovery ride tonight was a lot more of an effort than it should be.

Believe me, I have had DOMS before from weights, but it always went away after 48 hours, I am now on 90 hours and my VMO and inner thighs are very painful to the touch. I can't imagine trying to foam roll right now!.

Anyone else suffer like this? It's just something that never happened in training, even with fairly solid brick sessions (zero DOMS)

I felt your pain .... literally. Did Steelhead as my first HIM, admittedly dug really deep on the run after a lot of VMO tensing/verge of cramping during the latter portion of my ride (probably should have rode my TT bike in aero more and run more in training, but what can I say, I'm a bit of a roadie masquerading as a triathlete). 2 days after was horrific - similarly to your description - the next day (Wednesday) was still bad, but by Thursday I felt decent again. Based on this, there should be light at the end of the tunnel for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 days for me when its bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same experience. I think I push way harder on the bike than I should during a HIM (as compared to IM, where I seem to pace a lot more conservatively), then they lock and shred up on the run. My legs were torn up bad after the MT 70.3 this year. Over a week to recover, side stepping down stairs, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you run an open marathon? That's even worse!

If you weren't undertrained, things should start improving within a day or two.

I've done three HIM's this year, and the DOMS was the worst after the first one, as I hadn't done as much volume in terms of training during the winter months. Did Timberman this past weekend, and just did a 6 mile run w/o any leg pain. Overall training volume was much bigger over the summer, which helps to 'absorb' a bit of the fatigue.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
I've had the same experience. I think I push way harder on the bike than I should during a HIM (as compared to IM, where I seem to pace a lot more conservatively), then they lock and shred up on the run. My legs were torn up bad after the MT 70.3 this year. Over a week to recover, side stepping down stairs, etc.

I targeted 80% of FTP, same as in training, hopefully this wasn't too much. At least it's not just me having the issue!

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:

I targeted 80% of FTP, same as in training, hopefully this wasn't too much. At least it's not just me having the issue!

Thanks

Same here, although may have gone to 85%. But I have a bad history of leg cramps on the 70.3 runs....I haven't found that max amount of ftp I can push without getting them, still experimenting..
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

If you weren't undertrained, things should start improving within a day or two.

I've done three HIM's this year, and the DOMS was the worst after the first one, as I hadn't done as much volume in terms of training during the winter months. Did Timberman this past weekend, and just did a 6 mile run w/o any leg pain. Overall training volume was much bigger over the summer, which helps to 'absorb' a bit of the fatigue.

Never ran an open half, let alone marathon!

Don't think I was undertrained, had a solid season of training with plenty of 15ish hr weeks.

Hopefully things will improve soon!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently day #3 after IMCdA. Slowly improving. If you hit your limits or go even beyond them it's a necessary evil.
Roberto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

This!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least a week for me after a hard half IM.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumb question, but what does DOMS stand for? Don't remember seeing that acronym before.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
delayed onset muscle soreness. or as most of us call it... just soreness.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my legs are still pretty sore after Timberman this past weekend also. To me it means I ran a good race! I like it when Im really sore after. Some of it is running in the newtons it makes my calves really sore. I guess I like that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as your pee doesn't look like Coca Cola, you're probably fine

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same deal! Steelhead was my first, thought I'd gotten off lucky on Monday (we went to the lake on Sunday - thought it might have helped).

Then Tuesday came...like my legs were beaten with golf clubs.

Went away pretty quickly though (relative to previous half marathons). Easy bike Wednesday, more Thursday, SBR Friday.

I suppose blowing up and walking a bunch in the last 5 miles might leave you fresher.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the race report. Sounds like we had similar first HIM experiences. I was trying to go sub-5 and had a pretty good swim and strong bike, but kind of died on the back half of the run as well.

Thinking about some variant of Barry P/desert dude's full-ass challenge (on slightly lower mileage) starting end of outdoor riding season (for me, next month) to get the mileage up and really try to bring the run closer to my open half Mary time. I was way off even on my early paces.
Quote Reply
Re: DOMS after HIM. How long did you hurt for? [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to look that up - sounds interesting!

After my last tri in 2 weeks I'm switching to a big run block with bare maintenance swimming and complementary biking to do a late October 13.1. Hit 1:30:16 last year...talk about annoying!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I've def pushed to the max and beyond in my HIMs - did one where I (intentionally) overbiked on a 90+F day, and had total leg cramps at mile 1 of the start of the run (as did everyone around me apparently!)

I gotta admit though, at least for me, the worst DOMS I every had were in my early days of marathoning, before I was a 70+mpw marathoner (closer to 45mpw). There's something about the repetitive pounding of the legs at a fast pace that really does them in, even if you're decently trained.

I think HIMs are more gentle since you're running slower than your open pace by the time you're running. And the fact it's only 13.1, not 26.2 miles.

Took me over a week to recover from my post-marathon DOMS, and even longer to get the legs back to a raceable state. (Even elite marathoners have serious recovery issues after hard marathons, which is why they never race them month to month.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

+1

I've never been so sore.

Advice to OP: A nice slow run works well for me, 3-5 miles, usually 2-3 days post race day. If I sit around after a race I'll just hurt. Something about getting the legs moving again seems to aid in how I feel through recovery.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply