Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When do you slip on your kicks after T1?
Quote | Reply
For those that keep their shoes attached to their bike until after the mount line:

Just curious when you get your feet in your shoes and strap the velcro. I have found myself waiting longer and longer to don my footwear. As an example, my most recent race had about 100y flat with 2 90 degree turns, then about a mile of slight uphill grade. I waited until 3-4 minutes into the bike to get in my shoes. In addition, at times I find myself waiting again for the right time to put on my 2nd shoe.

Having witnessed many shenanigans exiting T1, it seems like some of the most dangerous moments come when people absolutely MUST do a flying mount and get their feet all the way into their shoes while travelling 5mph within 50 feet of the mount line.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you slip on your kicks after T1? [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me I am into my shoes within 5s of mounting my bike, but I've spent time practicing this. When I mount my bike my right foot goes directly into the shoe (S-Work Trivent) and as my first pedal stroke beings the other foot has already been pushed in and is ready to go. I then wait until the first downhill or flat section to tighten them down fully.

Bike mount/dismount is always a dangerous spot. People coming in too hot, or going out too slow trying to clip in or execute a flying mount. I fear its just a lack of practice by most participants and it's likely going to remain as such.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Aug 24, 16 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I can do so, without sacrificing speed. At 70.3 it was a congested mount area and a few turns right after, into a gradual downhill. I put in a big push to be clear and waited for the downhill. I think it was around 2 km. I use aero shoe covers as well so it takes me a little longer than average.

Basically I wont put shoes on unless I'm traveling at 35km/h or faster.

I am a bad runner.
I met Javier Gomez once.
I don't speak in miles.
I have opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride with my feet on top of my shoes until I'm up to speed and clear of congestion. It can take up to 1/4 of a mile, I think, and maybe a little longer for a really big race (like Augusta 70.3).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's busy after the line and I can't get going very fast I do it then. If it's wide open I will ride a bit then put them on. Basically, if I'm being held up I go ahead and slip them on as the time is already being wasted.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you slip on your kicks after T1? [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
For me I am into my shoes within 5s of mounting my bike, but I've spent time practicing this. When I mount my bike my right foot goes directly into the shoe (S-Work Trivent) and as my first pedal stroke beings the other foot has already been pushed in and is ready to go. I then wait until the first downhill or flat section to tighten them down fully.

Bike mount/dismount is always a dangerous spot. People coming in too hot, or going out too slow trying to clip in or execute a flying mount. I fear its just a lack of practice by most participants and it's likely going to remain as such.
This is how to do this and trivent makes it easier. But please please heed this:

>>> I then wait until the first downhill or flat section to tighten them down fully

Even with good bike handling skills you can easily go down attempting to tighten shoes. Seems very dangerous.

Pro tip. Push the bike two or three steps past the mount line and remain to the far right side of the road to prevent someone from running into your drive train. And as to not wipe someone else off their bike when lifting the leg up and over the top tube.
Quote Reply
Re: When do you slip on your kicks after T1? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all practice and handling skills. I spend a great deal of time practicing skills like this for the "marginal gains". I ride on inclines and flats and pick up water bottles from the ground without looking down. If you can grab a water bottle on seat tube it's no different here. You don't need to SEE anything since a its a simple round dial. Reach, feel, crank and take half a pedal stroke repeat on other side. If you've got the built up speed there isn't much of a danger.

Now this is also coming out as one of the first 15 from the swim so congestion is not a factor. I'd say a warning is in order of you don't practice or don't have a clear path at the line.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: When do you slip on your kicks after T1? [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
It's all practice and handling skills. I spend a great deal of time practicing skills like this for the "marginal gains". I ride on inclines and flats and pick up water bottles from the ground without looking down. If you can grab a water bottle on seat tube it's no different here. You don't need to SEE anything since a its a simple round dial. Reach, feel, crank and take half a pedal stroke repeat on other side. If you've got the built up speed there isn't much of a danger.

Now this is also coming out as one of the first 15 from the swim so congestion is not a factor. I'd say a warning is in order of you don't practice or don't have a clear path at the line.

This is what i'm getting at. I'm also out of the swim before things get congested, but you lose that advantage with a wave start. I feel much more comfortable putting on my shoes at 25mph *without* people around me than I do at 10mph in a crowd. And to your point, it's a no-look process. If you have to look at your shoes to do it, you need to practice more at home.
Quote Reply