Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Last Chance BQ race: Do I have a chance? [cannedham1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cannedham1 wrote:
I qualified last January in Miami. I needed to be under 3:25 and came in at 3:22:32. Never intended to do that. Everyone said to expect it to be hot and humid and thats what I planned for. Our winter up here in the north east was mild and Miami ended up being 45 - 50 degrees which made for perfect conditions. That said I was concerned it wouldnt be good enough but everything ive read says that all the major BQ feeder races have less than 50% qualifying than years past do to the heat and the cut off time will be lowered.

What do you mean by "the cut-off time will be lowered."?

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Last Chance BQ race: Do I have a chance? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
For me, the lesson learned is to never again sign up for a marathon in the fall if I want to actually race it. You can't get quality training done over the summer if you live in the South.

This is such a great comment for me to read. I live in Canada and trying to run in the winter is really hard. Fall races are really important to me because I can never be in any kind of shape for spring. I often wonder why anyone could possibly want a spring race. I had no idea that you guys have the opposite problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Chance BQ race: Do I have a chance? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
cannedham1 wrote:
I qualified last January in Miami. I needed to be under 3:25 and came in at 3:22:32. Never intended to do that. Everyone said to expect it to be hot and humid and thats what I planned for. Our winter up here in the north east was mild and Miami ended up being 45 - 50 degrees which made for perfect conditions. That said I was concerned it wouldnt be good enough but everything ive read says that all the major BQ feeder races have less than 50% qualifying than years past do to the heat and the cut off time will be lowered.

The logic here is that fewer people BQed at all this year than in the past due to prevailing weather conditions. Therefore people with relatively slower times have more slots available to them.

There are only but so many slots available and the fastest people get those slots. This year there being relatively fewer "faster" people allows for a lower cutoff time.

I guess it makes sense on the surface. We will find out for sure in a few weeks once registration opens.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Chance BQ race: Do I have a chance? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
cannedham1 wrote:

The logic here is that fewer people BQed at all this year than in the past due to prevailing weather conditions. Therefore people with relatively slower times have more slots available to them.

There are only but so many slots available and the fastest people get those slots. This year there being relatively fewer "faster" people allows for a lower cutoff time.

I guess it makes sense on the surface. We will find out for sure in a few weeks once registration opens.

The 'math' (I use quotations, because there are some holes in it) does seem to point to an easier cutoff this year (I use 'easier' instead of 'lowered', to avoid confusion). There are some big assumptions in most of the analysis I've seen - the biggest ones being that the BAA will keep the field size unchanged and that the 'rate of application' from those who BQ is unchanged.
Quote Reply

Prev Next