Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys, was just looking for some advice from some of you guys who have a bit more experience in this area I'm racing 2 sprint races this weekend the first starts at 9am on Saturday and the 2nd 9am on Sunday any advice on how I should best attempt to recover for the 2nd race as this is my local race and would like to perform well in this race. I was wondering if it was you who was racing this how would you help yourself recover for the second race. I should also mention that I would be a FOP guy in these races and was hoping for 2 good performances or am I asking too much ?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [SeanTri94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are asking for too much if you want 2 super fast performances. If this is the case I would pick 1, and either race day 1 super hard and see what you can pull off on day 2. Or take day 1 relatively easy and go hard on day 2. You wont be able to race both at 100%. As far as recovery I do when racing multi day events is nutrition, sleep and a massage. Not much more that you can do.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, it's not so much the recovery as it is the next day's warm-up.

If you go balls to the wall on Saturday, you'll need a little time to get the race legs back. I have never raced back-to-back tris, but I have done back-to-back 5k's. I have also done a really hard Saturday workout followed by a really hard Sunday workout. In all cases, I eventually got to race output, it just took longer to get the legs going.

My normal warm-up is pretty aggressive with jogging, rolling, stretching, and some sprints. On the second day, I'll be sure to run a very, very, easy 15 minutes to break a sweat and get the blood flowing before starting my normal warm-up. Of course, I'm 44 so I need a little more time anyway.

Get your post-race nutrition, hydration, and cooldown right and get some sleep, maybe even a nap if you can.

If you are in good enough shape, you should be able to bounce back since the distance is short.

Maybe the biggest thing, though, is to commit to it. Once Saturday is done, it's done. No feeling sorry if your result is not what you expected. No worrying if it was hotter than you thought it was going to be. No doubts about whether you should even do this. If you have doubt, you're going to fail. You signed up for both, be mentally prepared to crush both and don't make any excuses mid-run that it's OK to be tired because you raced yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replit's greatly appreciated :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, just go for it.

I raced a Std distance sat morning at the DU nationals in bend. I went flat out and was dead. 10K run, 40K bike, 5 K run Big hill for the bike course, 2 laps of it, ouch

2 hours later I did a sprint Du race, and went flat out with what was left. 5K run, 20K bike, 2.5 K run

A lot of it, IMO, is more mental! Even though my body was toast for the second race, I mentally said I will remember this for the rest of
my life so just made the body go for it.

Have fun.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Saturday at suicide pace, then race Sunday at suicide pace.

As for recovery between, kind of depends on how fit you are going in to the weekend. My n+1, raced USAT Nationals a couple of weeks ago. Going in I was in good shape, typically train 2 works outs 5-6 days a week so I'm accustomed to back-to-back days. After Saturday's race I limited how much time I stuck around the race area after finishing, I headed back to the hotel to relax/rehydrate/refuel/get to sleep normal time. Sunday morning I stuck to my normal race morning routine for stretching, fueling, warm up etc. and did raced well, ran better than I anticipated.

I think the key is refueling and rehydrating. Make those imperative and I'd bet you'll have as good of day on Sunday, assuming your fitness is there.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, for back-to-back sprints, just HTFU and don't worry about it. Relax, rehydrate, and refuel and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
assuming you trained for this, do what you did between back to back race pace workouts that worked well for you in training. Didn't train for this? do it anyway, consider it training and learning for next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem!

I have done it a couple of times, with great success!
What worked for me:
- Dry clothes right after the run (just change to your normal cycling gear)
- Solid food - rice and chicken is the go to for me - right after the run
- Go for a spin as soon as possible 30-40 min - consume a lot of water
- Drink coke or whatever for the rest of the day - be sure to not over hydrate - will leave you heavy for day 2
- Rice and chicken for dinner Again
- Next morning early morning jog - 2-3 K's before your normal raceday breakfast
- Get as much SLOW swimming in as possible as warm up (including some sprints)
- HTFU
- Kill the race on day 2

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. Just stretch after Saturday's race and take it easy the rest of the day. You'll be golden for Sunday.

Ask anyone who's done the Triple T what it's like to do back-to-backs! :)

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done it twice with mixed results.

1st time 27 years ago.

1st one in MD. Finished race, collected my award, was 2nd in AG. Immediately got in car and drove to VA. Got to race site around 8 PM. Went in bar right next to race site for a few beers. Came out to my car around midnight set my alarm and sent to sleep. Woke up the next morning, raced got on the platform again AG, can't remember what place.

approx 22 years ago. 2 sprints scheduled Sat and Sun. Fully expected 1st in AG and to be top 7 - 10 overall at both races.

2nd won AG and was top 10 overall. 1st race Darien Lake NY did CRAP and finished off the podium and something like 20th. Guess I should have worried about the first race before thinking about the second one.

Thinking about doing it again this coming weekend Sat Roch NY, Sun Cazenovia. Sunday is a given because race and hotel room is paid for.

Stiill thinking about doing the Sprint in Rochester Sat BUT have only trained 8 weeks in the past 6 years lol So maybe a bit under trained.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race the Saturday hard without regard for Sunday. If you try to hold back to save some for Sunday you likely end up with two sub-par performances. As for recovery, I would try to leave the race venue fairly soon after Saturday's race, shower eat and get off my feet. Usually there is going to be some travel to get to Sunday's venue but that is not a big deal for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In some areas they don't allow 2 races within 36 hours or you can potentially be disqualified for both. I think its rare that that is the case, but thought I would mention it just in case its the rules in your area. A local guy lost his Olympic distance worlds qualifying spot because of it.

I am a bad runner.
I met Javier Gomez once.
I don't speak in miles.
I have opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [MBTRIATHLETE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBTRIATHLETE wrote:
In some areas they don't allow 2 races within 36 hours or you can potentially be disqualified for both. I think its rare that that is the case, but thought I would mention it just in case its the rules in your area. A local guy lost his Olympic distance worlds qualifying spot because of it.

WHAT? That is ridiculous.

Please link us to races that say that.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its buried in some rule book for our area. I haven't seen the rule myself, but I got a roll down spot because of it. I felt really bad for the guy.

I am a bad runner.
I met Javier Gomez once.
I don't speak in miles.
I have opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing 2 sprint races this weekend the first starts at 9am on Saturday and the 2nd 9am on Sunday

Out of curiosity, why would you sign up for 2 races on the same weekend?

Wouldn't it make more sense to race one to the best of your ability than do 2 with mediocre times? Just wondered about the reasoning.

Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not its my end of season races, it's going to be a long winters training so why not cram them in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just did AGNC oly and sprint on back to back days. Went as hard on each as if they were the only race that weekend. The first part of the swim was a little bit slower than normal on the sprint, but once I loosened up all was fine. You just need to be smart about your recovery which starts the second you cross the finish line in the first race. get hydrated and eat ASAP, also dont forget to do a little cool down.

go hard on both and have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
MBTRIATHLETE wrote:

This was discussed here recently in a thread on a multi-sport festival . iirc, h2ofun had some details ??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it make more sense to race one to the best of your ability than do 2 with mediocre times?

Why would they be mediocre times? We're talking about sprints here. Nothing a few hours of recovery can't fix to have both be at best of ability. Besides, say there was a diminishing return, wouldn't (at the very least) the first one be your top performance and only the second one be below it?
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [MBTRIATHLETE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBTRIATHLETE wrote:
Its buried in some rule book for our area. I haven't seen the rule myself, but I got a roll down spot because of it. I felt really bad for the guy.

ITU does not allow racing on back-to-back days. In the past at Worlds you couldn't do both Standard and Sprint because of that. That's been corrected in recent years as they now typically have at least 1 day in between...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Why not? There are a lot of triathlons (including USAT Nationals) with a Sprint one day and Olympic the next, or vice versa. I did a pair this summer and performed better on the second day, according to USAT ranking scores. The same person won overall in women on both days. You can even do three triathlons at Bentonville, Arkansas Trifest September 3-4.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 sprint Triathlons in 24 hours [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
RBR wrote:
MBTRIATHLETE wrote:

This was discussed here recently in a thread on a multi-sport festival . iirc, h2ofun had some details ??

So far nothing back from USAT so I am assuming everything is okay for back to back du races at worlds in 2017

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I'm racing 2 sprint races this weekend the first starts at 9am on Saturday and the 2nd 9am on Sunday

Wouldn't it make more sense to race one to the best of your ability than do 2 with mediocre times? Just wondered about the reasoning.

Why do you assume this? My oly and sprint DU in Bend in one day is shorter time than a half. I guess my second race, the sprint, with 2 hours rest,
gave me a mediocre time when I won the 59-63 AG against guys who only raced the sprint for worlds. :)

Quote Reply