Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
trail wrote:
illskittlz wrote:
trail wrote:
On the other hand, sometimes a triathlete shows up at a race full of cyclists. (Yoder demolishing Cat 5 field).

Though he's really a cyclist showing up at a race full of cyclists.

He also got nearly last in the cat 5 crit that weekend

It's a stage race. Everyone gets the same time in the crit unless you're way off the back or front. (excepting time bonuses). I'd call that smart racing on his part in a Cat 5 crit. He might have been able to drop the field and go solo, but that's hard even when you're way fitter than everyone.

On the other hand looking at his other crit results (Cat 1-3 mostly) it looks like he hasn't yet learned how to use his physiology to his advantage in crit racing.

Or maybe he just has a flat power profile. He crushed some tri bike courses around here and seems to have done pretty well at some TTs, but maybe he can't sprint. I certainly know some very strong guys who can TT great but have no shot at winning a crit in anything but a small break. Couple of team mates went up to a road race this year in PA that Yoder was in, I thought maybe he would be a contender, but didn't turn out that way.

Having been in those races, it has nothing to do with ability to pedal or power profile and was all about ability to turn and timing. He's got the physiology to race well.
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HBB wrote:
This is funny. The best part about being a triathlete is getting away from being so one dimensional. If I spent as much time riding as I do training for all 3 sports, I'm sure I'd be a faster cyclist, but I'd be bored.

I used to think this way before I started bike racing. Road Racing, fast group rides, Crits, multi-day racing... All are so much more fun than I thought.

Fitness, strategy, tactics, teaming / rivals.

So good
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen a triathlete show up to a cat 5 bike race.

He repeatedly went off the front only to slow down within a few hundred yards at least 10 times. He also didn't keep a very good line as he was going off the front.

The eleventh time he went off the front no one went with him, he did a solo break away for the next 32 miles and won the race, true story and VERY funny to me.
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Here is a Yoder Cat 2/3 race where he was in a solo break the whole race with 30 mph crosswinds......won by 4 minutes.

Small field with crosswinds is about as good of a chance for a breakaway win as you will get. But it's a one-time deal, then from that moment on you will be marked.
Quote Reply

Prev Next