Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Canada 2017, First time in Whistler.
Quote | Reply
Very excited to have the opportunity to go see this place. The more I read up on it, the more I consider my choice for my next IM as the perfect location.

Please help me with some lodging recs, tho.

I'm looking for a condo. Needs to sleep 5 comfortably. Want it to be close (walking distance) to the shops/village and the IM admin stuff.

I'd consider a hotel if the room/floorplan has enough space for my family without us tripping over each other. But, it seems that a condo is a little more cost effective.

I've been on VRBO and I see that there are tons around. They all claim to be walking distance to the shops and gondolas but, of course, they would. And, I'm not super clear where the IM admin stuff is in relation to the shops and all of these condos.

I was really hoping you guys and gals would have some insight that might help me with this step.

Whatchya think?

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2017, First time in Whistler. [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have raced there the past 2 years and stayed in a condo each year. Both years, we stayed in the upper village area (the best area IMO). The first year we were right on the the run course as it heads out to lost lake. T2 and the Expo and village were a 10min walk down the great walking (IM run) trail. Being up there keeps you from being in the middle of the MTB bike frenzy that takes over the main village to the south (where the blackcomb lifts take the bikes up to the trails). This year we were above the 4 Seasons hotel and not as close, so we drove a bit more, but it was not a huge difference overall.

If I were to go back (might in 2018) I would try to get the condo on the run course we had in 2015.

Good luck, it is the best race in North America and a fantastic place for a holiday too.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you are in the Village you are walking distance to the IM venue. The IM Expo is right next to the Olympic Plaza which is the southwest corner of Lorimer Road and Blackcomb Way. Right across the street to the east is T2 and the finish line is along Blackcomb Way. In 2013 we stayed in a condo right in the lower village and last year stayed in a hotel. Both worked out well. It is a great IM venue!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2017, First time in Whistler. [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to both of you guys. Much appreciated.

I noticed a couple of condos on Blackcomb Way, on the east side of the road. If I chose one of those, I'd have to get across a little stretch of land, between Blackcomb Way and the Expo area, that has some kind of creek running North/South thru it. Do you know if there are trails that would all me to go East/West across that area and over that creek? If not, it looks like you have to follow the road up and around or down and around to get to the Village/Expo. If so, it looks like a straight shot across.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed in "The Gables" 3 years running. Absolutely awesome.

https://www.vrbo.com/...upper-village/gables

10 min walk to race check-in via trails in the back. Easy.

here's the exact unit i rented
https://www.vrbo.com/4195513ha

You will need a larger one but there's some with much larger setups. Look around.

I wouldnt post this link if i was going to whistler again (Texas next year) so enjoy :)

Last edited by: randomtriguy: Aug 24, 16 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2017, First time in Whistler. [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
found this link
http://www.bing.com/...cdeH0&ajaxhist=0

Also to answer my own question, I see that there are trails across that creek.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delta Whistler rooms are little apartments with a full kitchen, W/D, living room, bedroom with one or two beds. I think the living room sofa is a pull-out bed. Not sure if that'd work for you. It's two blocks from IM village, which is at the Olympic plaza. It should be on the maps.

T2 and finish are just past the Olympic plaza on parking lot 4. The swim and T1 are at the lake 2+ miles out of town. There are shuttles to take you to the lake and back prerace, and shuttles to take you to the lake race morning. Although a paved trail goes from the village to T1. A second beater bike or a second pair of running shoes just might get you there faster than waiting for a shuttle.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Aug 24, 16 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several bridges across Fitzsimmon Creeks, so going east to west is rather easy. We stayed in a condo at the Marketplace this year. Steps from the IM Expo and my daughter spent hours on the playground just outside the door. All of the shuttles and other IM related needs are at the intersection of Lorimer Road and Blackcomb Way. The Upper Village is rather quiet compared the Village. If it isn't in the Village, it is probably at least a 10 minute walk. It is definitely worth a map search of the address of the condo before making reservations. We stayed in the village both years, and never used the car during our stay. Have a great race. Amazing scenery and very supportive crowds.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2017, First time in Whistler. [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
There are several bridges across Fitzsimmon Creeks, so going east to west is rather easy. We stayed in a condo at the Marketplace this year. Steps from the IM Expo and my daughter spent hours on the playground just outside the door. All of the shuttles and other IM related needs are at the intersection of Lorimer Road and Blackcomb Way. The Upper Village is rather quiet compared the Village. If it isn't in the Village, it is probably at least a 10 minute walk. It is definitely worth a map search of the address of the condo before making reservations. We stayed in the village both years, and never used the car during our stay. Have a great race. Amazing scenery and very supportive crowds.

Yep same here. Parked in the underground garage when I got in. Stayed 3 days without as much as starting the car once. Not until after the race and the drive back home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a look at any of the condo units on Northlands Blvd - Sunpath, Lagoons, Northstar and Valhalla. Sunpath and Northstar each have a shared pool and hottub. Some of the units in those developments have private hottubs. From there most things are a five minute walk and those that aren't are ten minutes.

Look for a renovated 3 bed unit. It'll sleep five easily (assuming you have a couple in your party).

I'm biased because we own a 3 bed unit in Sunpath. I can point you to our letting agent's site if you're interested.

ETA: random map found through google with Sunpath handily circled:

- The main body of the village is the Village Stroll from the Olympic office to the lifts.
- The IM expo is on the green by the 2010 Olympic office.
- The finish line is on Blackcomb Way just above the Brewhouse (off the top edge of the map). T2 is just the other side of Blackcomb Way adjacent to the finish line area. That's where you get the buses from on race morning.
- The big grocery store in in the Market Pavilion.

To give you an idea of scale, in regular shoes Sunpath to the lifts is an 8 minute walk.
Last edited by: Greg66: Aug 24, 16 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We stayed in Carlton Lodge right by the main lift. Its super close to everything. Underground parking.

http://www.whistlersbest.com/.../carleton-lodge-405/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2017, First time in Whistler. [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Have a look at any of the condo units on Northlands Blvd - Sunpath, Lagoons, Northstar and Valhalla. Sunpath and Northstar each have a shared pool and hottub. Some of the units in those developments have private hottubs. From there most things are a five minute walk and those that aren't are ten minutes.

Look for a renovated 3 bed unit. It'll sleep five easily (assuming you have a couple in your party).

I'm biased because we own a 3 bed unit in Sunpath. I can point you to our letting agent's site if you're interested.

ETA: random map found through google with Sunpath handily circled:

- The main body of the village is the Village Stroll from the Olympic office to the lifts.
- The IM expo is on the green by the 2010 Olympic office.
- The finish line is on Blackcomb Way just above the Brewhouse (off the top edge of the map). T2 is just the other side of Blackcomb Way adjacent to the finish line area. That's where you get the buses from on race morning.
- The big grocery store in in the Market Pavilion.

To give you an idea of scale, in regular shoes Sunpath to the lifts is an 8 minute walk.

X2 on condos on Northlands. We stayed in a 2 bedroom in North Star. Was 5 min walk to the IM Village and 10 min to the Whistler lifts. Far enough away from center of town that it was quite but close enough to walk everywhere. Several great restaurants with 5 min and IGA and Starbucks is 2 min. Plus the pool and hot tub was great with kids.

It certainly is a stunning place for a race. Tough course but cannot beat the setting. Family enjoyed the entire 10 day trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
Thanks to both of you guys. Much appreciated.

I noticed a couple of condos on Blackcomb Way, on the east side of the road. If I chose one of those, I'd have to get across a little stretch of land, between Blackcomb Way and the Expo area, that has some kind of creek running North/South thru it. Do you know if there are trails that would all me to go East/West across that area and over that creek? If not, it looks like you have to follow the road up and around or down and around to get to the Village/Expo. If so, it looks like a straight shot across.

Relax (said in a nice way :) ) So long as you are in the upper or lower village it's all close. Just don't go to creekside.

Stayed at the Fairmont over that way and location is fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.whistlervillageinnandsuites.com/index.php

5min walk to the IM Expo
10min walk from the finish line (important!)
30sec from the Village Stroll

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Last edited by: Cycling nation: Aug 24, 16 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a two bedroom condo in Glacier's Reach which is at the NW corner of Blackcomb and Lorimer. It was literally across the street from T2/shuttle pickup and the finish line. And a less than 5 min walk from the Expo and a ton of restaurants. Like the others, we parked our car in the underground garage and only moved it once in 5 days when we drove out to Pemberton for lunch one day. If I went back, I would look for another rental in this complex.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada 2017, First time in Whistler. [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to each and every one of you guys & gals.

Very helpful and I'll be checking out all of those places.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most convenient spot will be on the Village Stroll near the Olympic Plaza. But most units on the Stroll are studio or 1BR; 2BR are rare and expensive (Delta does have some 2BR lock-offs that aren't too bad). Places on Northlands are only a few minutes further and will get you more space. You can save more by going further out, but it will be less convenient for your family unless they don't mind the walk.

Check pricing through the IMC travel link (which goes through Whistler.com); we saved 20% off posted rates.
Quote Reply