Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 22/23rd Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 22/23rd Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goal for this week is 3 swims (1 done) done, 3 rides did two, 6 runs (1 done) done, ran all 7 days. Schoolwork goal is to get a conference paper submission done (this is due Thursday to my research group for a round robin review before the actual submission deadline). done!!!!

I had a good week. I had my cousin, her wife, and their two children visiting, and I had an absolute blast with them! Here's a picture -

I had a very productive work week with 15.5 hours of dissertation work, and a couple hours doing some camp clean up (which is not entirely done).

I donated blood on Friday evening. Saturday and Sunday's workouts were tough. On Saturday I ran 2.15 miles and swam 3250 yards; I felt like I were at altitude. Sunday I ran 14 miles and averaged 8:34s, but my legs felt really heavy (that could be the accumulation of lots of running, not the blood donation). I have donated blood about 10 times, and this was the most draining for whatever reason. I took yesterday totally off and am feeling much more normal; my legs felt better this morning.

I had some eating issues yesterday with the day off, but I handled a stressful situation last night without bingeing on donuts or cupcakes (or anything else) and I am rather proud of that.

A job ad came out today that I am fairly interested in!!!

This week - I have my first modeling gig tomorrow. It is for Old Town Canoe and Kayak (local company) and I think it is going to be a fun day! I also need to make edits on my conference proposal and send to my advisor; write at least an outline of a journal article (this will be one of the papers included in my dissertation), finish an article for a newsletter... it's going to be busy :P sport goals are 3 bike days, 6 run days, 2 swim days.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a nice picture. Two beauties. Thanks for sharing. Next week we want pics of the modeling gig!

My week was ok - better for running, ran 5 days. only one bike and no swim. but tapering last week and this week for marathon on Sunday.

This week, only a few short runs planned. Hopefully 3-4 swims, and maybe one or two bikes. Goal for marathon is to pace a friend, so basically a "just finish" marathon.

Happy training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great pic! :-)

Last week was not bad considering everything. Had Physio on Wed, it was painful but there is a path forward. Lots of walking, wearing a compression sleeve at work, heat, stretching, etc. Managed a short (50k) ride on Sat which was good - about the right distance and effort.

This week:
- ride 2x-3x - riding seems to be OK so I'll take advantage of that I guess, but still not going too hard, keeping the foot "neutral" (avoiding pointing my toes)
- inline 1x - just to see how it feels
- water running 1x-2x - gah I hate water running, I'd rather poke my eyes out with flaming kebabs, but it may be the only way I can even remotely be prepped.
- physio + the exercises assigned (my homework!), stretch, walk, heat, gentle massage.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started and let's see some modeling pictures next week, tigerchik!

Still not running or lifting but a good week for me:
<quote> This week I'm planning on: 3 or 4 swim (3 ocean, 1 pool), 2 or 3 bike rides, daily p/rehab correctives and maybe another attempt at yoga. </quote>

4 ocean swims (big chop Friday and Saturday!) and 3 bike rides, daily p/rehab and correctives and a mostly successful attempt at yoga.

I'm on the road for work this week so I'm hoping to get in a 3 bikes and 3 swims, daily p/rehab and correctives.

Here's a question -- the race which was supposed to be my "A Race" of the season is creeping up. I've already paid. If I can't run, I'm thinking about treating it like a brick: swim, bike, DNF -- any thoughts on how unsports(wo)manlike that is? As a n00b, I'll defer to the wisdom of this thread.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 22/23rd Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got an email from the canoe/kayak people. They don't need me tomorrow :-( I am so bummed, I thought it would be so much fun! They had asked about availability for this whole week, so I guess they got what they needed for shots with other people today. Humph :-( I was so looking forward to that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great week! Thanks!

Had a great 9mi trail run on Sunday. It was foggy and smokey so my 180' views of the pacific ocean were a bit obstructed, but went from sea level to the top of Barranca Peak (~1,000 feet), down into a nice valley and then to the top of Hazard Peak (~1,300 feet). I got practice jumping really high when a snake gave me a start. And then there was this young gal running in the opposite direction of me and she somehow managed to pass by me three times. Where did she come from so many times? And was she wondering where I came from?

We've had horrible fires just outside town and the smoke is so thick (Chimney Fire & Soberanes Fire). I'm not sure if I'm happy exercising outside. I went for a ride on Saturday and got turned back because the road was closed from the fire and evacuation orders had just been issued. I should have known when 15 fire trucks rolled by me that the news wasn't good. Then I went swimming today and there was ash floating all over in the pool and coming down from the sky. I hope I don't get lung cancer or whatever badness happens from exercising in smoke.

I'm getting ready for an upcoming trail run (20k) in two weeks and then the last race (Oly) of the year Oct 23.

And in even more exciting news, I'm finally getting fit for my TT bike on Friday. I've been fit for my road bike and love it, but for whatever reason never did my TT bike. I know there will be improvements. Woot!

Rock on, ladies.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think swim/bike/dnf is perfectly legit. Of course, earlier in the season I was considering it for my own A race (in the end I DNS'ed).

Another vote for the modelling pics TC!

I did some riding and had another physio appointment. Still not allowed to run but I am allowed to jump down from a height of about 4 inches. Woohoo, I guess. I should be in better shape by the end of this than I was pre-injury but 6 months in from this injury I'm sick of it.

Also got myself a strava account. Now seeing how long I can go without going premium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Here's a question -- the race which was supposed to be my "A Race" of the season is creeping up. I've already paid. If I can't run, I'm thinking about treating it like a brick: swim, bike, DNF -- any thoughts on how unsports(wo)manlike that is? As a n00b, I'll defer to the wisdom of this thread.

I don't think it's unsports(wo)manlike at all. You've paid for it and probably won't get the money back; you've been training hard in the other two sports so you might as well race. Two other options are to walk the run (I don't know if that would aggravate your injury), or see if there is an aquabike distance. (Some races have a component that is swim and bike only, as not everyone can run or likes to run).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry. That's too bad. Maybe they'll still call you for later in the week???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it's unsports(wo)manlike at all. You've paid for it and probably won't get the money back; you've been training hard in the other two sports so you might as well race. Two other options are to walk the run (I don't know if that would aggravate your injury), or see if there is an aquabike distance. (Some races have a component that is swim and bike only, as not everyone can run or likes to run).

Agree with above.
it's not unsportmanlike
but will it make you sad to have to drop out?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 22/23rd Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback tigerchik, nad, and Scheherazade. It will be make me the saddest to walk which is why I was considering Swim/Bike/DNF (and, to be honest, I'm not sure I trust myself to come out of T2 and then leisurely walk the 10K!)

There is no aquabike option nor can I transfer to the relay so I'll treat it as a brick and practice my swim, bike, and transitions.
Thanks again!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for "go for it" for SoCalTricurious - you paid for that race and won't negatively impact on anyone by departing the course early. Just make sure you let the officials/volunteers know so they don't think you got lost out there somewhere!

Last week's goals:
run x 3: win
core/strength x 1 (done): win
mobility/stretch x 3: win

I can't say I "raced", but I did participate in the Iroquoia Trail Test 34k trail run on Saturday. It's 3 loops of an 11.4km course on the Bruce Trail, billed as the most technical trail race in Ontario. Because I'm clumsy as hell and didn't want to do myself harm, I ended up walking long stretches of trail that were covered in slippery rocks, heavily tangled root wells and steep parts with sketchy, loose stone that would shift underfoot. There was a kilometer-long climb (the top of which was basically a goat path) that was some tough slogging, and a lot of the descents were too steep and full of easily-tripped-over things for me to run, so it basically ended up being a long hike with some running thrown in - there were some groomed, some less-rocky, and some doubletrack sections that were runnable, so I took advantage where I could and just enjoyed the absolutely stunning scenery for the rest. It started out warm and incredibly humid - like 94% humidity - I was dripping within the first 20mins! Never been so wet when it wasn't actually raining at the time. As the sun burned off some of the dampness from the overnight rain (without ever drying out the mud puddles or wet rocks on the course), the temperature skyrocketed to 32c/90f with humidex of 38c/100f. Was very slow, coming in just under 4h53m and very much toward the back of the pack (68/85 finishers), but my last lap was actually a bit faster than my second and I passed a few people on lap 3. I stayed upright and undamaged, too, which was really nice - tweaked my left ankle a couple of times, but not enough to keep me from running on it. Was just in it for a day in a beautiful forest anyway, so got all I wanted out of it...plus a freezie at the end!

Went for a short hike with Tanker on part of the course after the race so I could get a few pics, but didn't come anywhere near the really technical bits - just the stuff that I could actually run.

I wish I'd had a camera with me in the morning, when the sun was just shafts of hazy light streaming down through the trees.

The scenery was everything I could have hoped for.

There were some really neat wood carvings down by Crawford Lake - about a dozen in all, half of which were along the race course.

Brought back for this year from the race's history: the 7k and 18k racers got medals, but the 34k finishers got rocks painted with the race logo. Pictured here with my post-race beverage of choice for a very hot day!

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 2
run x 4
core/strength x 4

The benefit of being too clumsy to run much on Saturday is that I didn't have too much post-race soreness, though what's there has lingered. I've just been hiking and walking (with a swim thrown in last night) since to give myself some recovery and make sure my ankle is good to go, but I've got kit with me to go for a run after work today. Need to start cycling again - I have a cute little tri (500m-15km-4km) the 2nd weekend in September, so need to be sure I remember how to pedal!

I hear it's just like riding a bike, though..