Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tire Recommendations for HED Jet Blacks, Please [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Add in that except in the case of a flat that seals itself, there is no difference in speed between the best tubeless tires and a good latex setup,

I personally have experienced one flat in about 40 races over like 7 years using latex tubes. It's a record I'm pretty happy with, and that experience makes the risk/benefit ratio to switching unfavorable.

I thought that latex was faster than tubeless once you added sealant into the equation i.e. the sealant in the tire that repairs a flat actually makes it a minuscule fraction slower? It adds weight, and when the tire is rolling it naturally forces sealant to the outer regions of the wheel where weight is least desirable due to gyroscopic forces?

I totally agree with what you have written about latex tubes in races and experience with flats. Its over 5 years since I last had a flat in a race, and for me 5 minutes at the side of the road can be a welcome break! I always run new or nearly new tires and see this as the most critical thing in avoiding a flat, not tubed or tubeless.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Recommendations for HED Jet Blacks, Please [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

I would be open to use hydraulic brakes and TL tires in a bike that stays local, but not on a bike that I fly to races multiple times each year. You won't catch me draining lines and trying to seal a TL tire when I could be doing something else with my family on a racecation.
You wouldn't have to do any of those. Your hydraulic lines will be just fine, no need for bleeding if you're gonna fly. Same with TL wheels if you have them set up beforehand and the bead is properly seated. Your latex won't run out and you can just inflate your wheel like any other wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Recommendations for HED Jet Blacks, Please [scrub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went per HED's instructions on my JET9's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9Loc8xjoo
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Recommendations for HED Jet Blacks, Please [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

I would be open to use hydraulic brakes and TL tires in a bike that stays local, but not on a bike that I fly to races multiple times each year. You won't catch me draining lines and trying to seal a TL tire when I could be doing something else with my family on a racecation.
You wouldn't have to do any of those. Your hydraulic lines will be just fine, no need for bleeding if you're gonna fly. Same with TL wheels if you have them set up beforehand and the bead is properly seated. Your latex won't run out and you can just inflate your wheel like any other wheel.

Wow, excuse my ignorance. Not sure why I thought I'd have to do those things
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Recommendations for HED Jet Blacks, Please [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another issue: tubeless tyres seem to go down to 25mm only.
Such tyres are not as aerodynamic on Jet+ rims as a true 23mm.

Example:
  • A 25mm GP5000TL on Jet+ rims measures 26.6mm @ 75 psi when new.
  • Josh Poertner's "rule of 105" suggests that tyre width should be no more than 105% of max rim width for good aerodynamic behaviour in yaw. That's 27.9mmm
  • Jet+ rims measure 27.5mm at their widest point, so the rule of 105 is broken.

I'm still running latex tubes on my race wheels for this reason, even while I love tubeless on other bikes/wheels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next