Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
A presidential candidate lies repeatedly...nothing.

Specifically this point you tried to make, you really think nothing has been said, ramifications, ongoing fallouts, etc. for the candidates? I think I know what you were trying to say, just used a very bad example to bolster your view of Lochte..

Well I suppose the lies of our Presidential candidates have been talked about, but to my knowledge, there has been no financial ruin for either one of them. In fact, you would think the American people enjoy being lied to. If you lie to the Rio police, however...we don't stand for that.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:

I'll just keep my thoughts to myself from now on.

chxddstri wrote:
monty wrote:
A presidential candidate lies repeatedly...nothing.

Specifically this point you tried to make, you really think nothing has been said, ramifications, ongoing fallouts, etc. for the candidates? I think I know what you were trying to say, just used a very bad example to bolster your view of Lochte..

Well I suppose the lies of our Presidential candidates have been talked about, but to my knowledge, there has been no financial ruin for either one of them. In fact, you would think the American people enjoy being lied to. If you lie to the Rio police, however...we don't stand for that.

You lack conviction.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:

I think it'd be awesome if Hillary went on a massive bender and trashed a gas station. It would make her seem human and not a carefully manufactured brand with the horrifyingly artificial smile.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 23, 16 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Its not about being accurate across the board, it is about one company being reasonably consistent. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect reasonableness.
Define reasonable... we could run in circles all day on this one.

That's rhetorical by the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

I'll just keep my thoughts to myself from now on.

You lack conviction.

I just found out today, that I'm a moron.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Other athletes have done worse things. But, other than getting caught doping or in some sort of child molestation situation, it is hard to think of anything worse an athlete could do from a current or future sponsor's perspective than what Lochte did.

Interesting you point this out. While Speedo USA has dropped Lochte, it's parent company still sponsors proven dopers like Efimova and Yang.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CP78 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Well it looks like the first domino fell for Lochte with Speedo dropping him. How many more will follow suit? Am I the only one that thinks Ryan Lochte might be the biggest drama queen that has ever existed in the history of sport. I know there is the old saying 'that any press is good'. Can he spin this around to his benefit still or is he doomed. Maybe this belongs in Lavender, I don't know.

https://finance.yahoo.com/...ochte-151934704.html

http://www.usatoday.com/...uthorities/89082232/

RIO DE JANEIRO – Seven days after an incident that will in part define the Rio Olympics, details are becoming clearer about what happened during a gas station encounter between four U.S. swimmers and security guards, and not everyone has concluded Ryan Lochte and his teammates are entirely in the wrong or that the account offered by Rio authorities is entirely accurate.

But a narrative of the night’s events – constructed by USA TODAY Sports from witness statements, official investigations, surveillance videos and media reports – supports Lochte’s later account in which he said he thought the swimmers were being robbed when they were approached at a gas station by armed men who flashed badges, pointed guns at them and demanded money.

And the saga continues. That would interesting if Rio ended up apologizing to him. What do u think his sponsors would be obligated to do then?

So is this you backing off your own hyperbolic rush to judgment?
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not just that he lied to everyone. Didn't he file a false police report? and if he did that there is a crime. Lets not make this out to be some little white lie. Should he have the death sentence in his sport? Heck no, not if dopers are still competing. Is the media attention he getting fair? most likely no, but come on anyone now a days needs to understand everything is videoed and will be posted online. If he had half a brain cell he would have seen the scrutiny Gabby Douglas got days before, simply for not placing her hand over her heart for the national anthem, or the fact that she looked unhappy watching all around finals, and he would have realized maybe I shouldn't get stupid drunk while in another country with the yes of the entire world here and thousands of journalists to report what I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Had he not gotten drunk and vandalized a restroom, this would not have happened"

Once again...he did NOT vandalize the bathroom. Quit saying he did. None of them did. The gas station/security guards exaggerated that part of THEIR story. Lochte ripped a framed poster down off one of the walls after he and the others took a leak in the bushes. That's all the "criminality" that happened that night.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CP78 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Well it looks like the first domino fell for Lochte with Speedo dropping him. How many more will follow suit? Am I the only one that thinks Ryan Lochte might be the biggest drama queen that has ever existed in the history of sport. I know there is the old saying 'that any press is good'. Can he spin this around to his benefit still or is he doomed. Maybe this belongs in Lavender, I don't know.

RIO DE JANEIRO – Seven days after an incident that will in part define the Rio Olympics, details are becoming clearer about what happened during a gas station encounter between four U.S. swimmers and security guards, and not everyone has concluded Ryan Lochte and his teammates are entirely in the wrong or that the account offered by Rio authorities is entirely accurate.

But a narrative of the night’s events – constructed by USA TODAY Sports from witness statements, official investigations, surveillance videos and media reports – supports Lochte’s later account in which he said he thought the swimmers were being robbed when they were approached at a gas station by armed men who flashed badges, pointed guns at them and demanded money.

And the saga continues. That would interesting if Rio ended up apologizing to him. What do u think his sponsors would be obligated to do then?

No, I am well aware that there are more than two sides to every story. As an athlete myself, of which often times I do things that not all people agree with, I am well versed in the fact that I can't make everyone happy. As someone who is genuinely interested in sociology I find the mob-mentality fascinating. If Ryan was a part of Slowtwitch family I can assure you some of my comments and original post may be different.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CP78 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

No, I am well aware that there are more than two sides to every story. As an athlete myself, of which often times I do things that not all people agree with, I am well versed in the fact that I can't make everyone happy. As someone who is genuinely interested in sociology I find the mob-mentality fascinating. If Ryan was a part of Slowtwitch family I can assure you some of my comments and original post may be different.

Why would your comments be different if he was part of the ST family and not a fairly globally known athlete with a net worth of $6M? Let's say it was Frodo (I assume his net worth must get close to that range, but maybe I am wrong), would it be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CP78 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Why would your comments be different if he was part of the ST family and not a fairly globally known athlete with a net worth of $6M? Let's say it was Frodo (I assume his net worth must get close to that range, but maybe I am wrong), would it be different.

Well, for one, I would arguably be way more informed. I think back to the issues at Hawaii last year and because I was there, because I interact with the people, I was way more informed. As of right now, I am really not a swimming insider. I know what the press tell me, that is all I have to go by.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which is why it is generally a terrible idea to make hyperbolic and judgemental statements about other people based on a few press reports.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Which is why it is generally a terrible idea to make hyperbolic and judgemental statements about other people based on a few press reports.

We can only go with what we know and based on facts and as new information comes to light we should be able to change or views and opinions. That doesn't mean there isn't a reason to talk about it. If you read my original post it is in regards to "how many more sponsors will bail", and "whether he can spin it around to his benefit". I think you are fixated on the 'drama-queen' part of it, but that is simply a subjective opinion of mine based on numerous things, the most notable of which was going out of his way to interject that the color of his hair was "blue".

Now maybe you disagree with my assessment or maybe your definition is different than mine, but I honestly can't think of any sport figure that is more of a 'drama-queen'. I already responded why Rodman wasn't a bigger 'drama-queen' in my eyes. Not even Macca qualifies and he is up there for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, doing things to make yourself stand out with respect to your physical appearance does not make one a "drama queen".

Anyway, latest reports are that he's accepted that he will be suspended, (no announcement from USA swimming yet) and he will be swimming through 2020.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGNole97 wrote:
"Had he not gotten drunk and vandalized a restroom, this would not have happened"

Once again...he did NOT vandalize the bathroom. Quit saying he did. None of them did. The gas station/security guards exaggerated that part of THEIR story. Lochte ripped a framed poster down off one of the walls after he and the others took a leak in the bushes. That's all the "criminality" that happened that night.

I agree with you on this and on the sentiment that this whole issue is completely overblown. I mean WTF, the security were waving a gun around demanding money for damage that seems entirely unsubstantial (how much is a poster worth!?). I'd be pretty pissed about the whole thing too and while I wouldn't fabricate a story on twitter, I can understand the urge to lash out on social media. That is some scary shit and not behaviour of befitting a country pretending to belong to the first world. Lochte gives every impression of being a complete moron but I don't think he is a crazed social deviant. I think Phelps' DUI is a far more dangerous and irresponsible infraction. Give the poor idiot a break.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gshtrisport wrote:
And I have dropped Speedo. No more speedo products for me.

Yes, Ryan made a big mistake. How many other athletes have done worse things? It would take days to list them all.

And Ryan has, indirectly, brought in a decent amount of money for Speedo.

Totally agree, what a bunch of sell-outs at Speedo. Aside from usually turning out very well after college, let's face it, the swimmers and polo players of the world find lots of creative and semi-destructive outlets when not in the water. Especially the polo players. What Lochte and the other guys did, while stupid, is far from the international incident that Brazilians would like it to be. If Speedo thinks this is going to make them more money, or get other people in their suits they're dead wrong. No one will buy more Speedo products b/c they booted Lochte from their stable of athletes. Speedo products are purchased for sport, or for fat Russian dudes. What they should have done is offered Lochte and his friends professional help, and shown what good custodians of the sport they are. Nope, all about the money. I'll feel a little bit better peeing in my Speedo in the pool tomorrow at Masters.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Dispholidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect that as many have said. This was just an easy option for Speedo to drop him.

Personally. So long as he pays the fine, apologies properly. That's the end of it. The lying didn't help, but he's not the smartest in the box.

in the meantime. I found this funny. (swearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU3zuK7Zmrk
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
I suspect that as many have said. This was just an easy option for Speedo to drop him.

Personally. So long as he pays the fine, apologies properly. That's the end of it. The lying didn't help, but he's not the smartest in the box.

in the meantime. I found this funny. (swearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU3zuK7Zmrk

Agree, his swimming performances have been underwhelming, Speedo probably jumped at chance to dump him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

We can only go with what we know and based on facts and as new information comes to light we should be able to change or views and opinions. That doesn't mean there isn't a reason to talk about it. If you read my original post it is in regards to "how many more sponsors will bail", and "whether he can spin it around to his benefit". I think you are fixated on the 'drama-queen' part of it, but that is simply a subjective opinion of mine based on numerous things, the most notable of which was going out of his way to interject that the color of his hair was "blue".

Now maybe you disagree with my assessment or maybe your definition is different than mine, but I honestly can't think of any sport figure that is more of a 'drama-queen'. I already responded why Rodman wasn't a bigger 'drama-queen' in my eyes. Not even Macca qualifies and he is up there for me.

Since you completely missed Jason's point, put it this way: Nobody denies your right to gossip. Sharing your value judgements about the character of people you don't know is your right. It's just not required. Your post reads like you were auditioning for "The View".

Drama queens don't exist without the willing audience.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Since you completely missed Jason's point, put it this way: Nobody denies your right to gossip. Sharing your value judgements about the character of people you don't know is your right. It's just not required. Your post reads like you were auditioning for "The View".

Drama queens don't exist without the willing audience.

Fair enough.

Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Lochte Fall-Out - Speedo Drops Him [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like calling someone else the "biggest drama queen ever in the history of sport " is a bit ....dramatic.... don't you think?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eh, i think he was just going for views. worked pretty well too! :)

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next