Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HED Jet 6+ good all around wheel for tri and road bike use? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
You bought a used wheel with a crack in it, the crack is getting worse, and that is a knock on HED wheel?? That could describe any wheel and is a little unfair don't you think?

There are new cracks forming where there where not cracks before. I have handled the wheels with a reasonable amount of care. Not acceptable to me but I honestly described the situation, others can decide for themselves. Personally I would prefer a stronger fairing at the expense of a few grams extra weight.

If these are intended to be a super fragile race wheel that require extra delicate care then as an answer to the op they are certainly not appropriate for everyday use.

Edit - personally I find it unfair to only read half of someone's post before making a snarky comment, but again, people can decide for themselves.
Last edited by: Anachronism: Aug 27, 16 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ good all around wheel for tri and road bike use? [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
You bought a used wheel with a crack in it, the crack is getting worse, and that is a knock on HED wheel?? That could describe any wheel and is a little unfair don't you think?

There are new cracks forming where there where not cracks before. I have handled the wheels with a reasonable amount of care. Not acceptable to me but I honestly described the situation, others can decide for themselves. Personally I would prefer a stronger fairing at the expense of a few grams extra weight.

If these are intended to be a super fragile race wheel that require extra delicate care then as an answer to the op they are certainly not appropriate for everyday use.

Edit - personally I find it unfair to only read half of someone's post before making a snarky comment, but again, people can decide for themselves.

I have a set of HED Jet6+ Blacks that I've put over 5K miles on of every day use (they reside on my road bike) and neither of the carbon caps have any sort of damage or cracks.

In fact, the rear rim has even suffered pothole damage (I was able to repair the bead dent by gently bending it back - try THAT with an all-carbon clincher!), and both wheels were on board when I crashed back in May hard enough to fracture my pelvis (over the bars at 30 mph after a rider in front of me slid out and went down in a corner). The only "crash damage" was the rear wheel being slightly out of true, which was easily remedied. Despite all that, they look and perform just like brand new.

So, IME, they are not "super fragile race wheels" and are just fine for everyday use. If you have cracks forming, you might want to review just how careful you actually are being with handling them...or, contact Hed and find out if that may be an issue they're aware of. Perhaps it was a batch issue.

BTW, I've previously owned a set of Hed Jet 9s which are of the same construction, and never had any cracks in the caps on those either...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ good all around wheel for tri and road bike use? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Anachronism wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I have a set of HED Jet6+ Blacks that I've put over 5K miles on of every day use (they reside on my road bike) and neither of the carbon caps have any sort of damage or cracks.

In fact, the rear rim has even suffered pothole damage (I was able to repair the bead dent by gently bending it back - try THAT with an all-carbon clincher!), and both wheels were on board when I crashed back in May hard enough to fracture my pelvis (over the bars at 30 mph after a rider in front of me slid out and went down in a corner). The only "crash damage" was the rear wheel being slightly out of true, which was easily remedied. Despite all that, they look and perform just like brand new.

So, IME, they are not "super fragile race wheels" and are just fine for everyday use. If you have cracks forming, you might want to review just how careful you actually are being with handling them...or, contact Hed and find out if that may be an issue they're aware of. Perhaps it was a batch issue.

BTW, I've previously owned a set of Hed Jet 9s which are of the same construction, and never had any cracks in the caps on those either...

I am quite sure they are being handled appropriately. I have had other race wheels and also handle my wives carbon clinchers without any issues. Perhaps it is a bad batch or perhaps the previous owner did something (what??) that caused them to be more prone to cracking.

The carbon fiber part feels about as strong as the blister pack plastic packing, is that how it's supposed to feel?
Last edited by: Anachronism: Aug 27, 16 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ good all around wheel for tri and road bike use? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That brings up a question. Had my first ride today with the new wheels. I travel with my bike secured by a fork mount, and my home-made cleaning/ work stand utilizes a fork mount as well. So I was taking my front wheel off a few times. I'm used to some aluminum clinchers and I just grab the whole rim. I'm by no means means putting a lot of force on the fairing, but both times I caught myself holding the rim by the fairing. I quickly tried to hold by just the brake track/tire since you can obviously feel the fairing flex. How sensitive are the wheels to being handles like that? And how hard do you work to get any water out? I leaned them with the drain holes down for a good while.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ good all around wheel for tri and road bike use? [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Anachronism wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I am quite sure they are being handled appropriately. I have had other race wheels and also handle my wives carbon clinchers without any issues. Perhaps it is a bad batch or perhaps the previous owner did something (what??) that caused them to be more prone to cracking.

The carbon fiber part feels about as strong as the blister pack plastic packing, is that how it's supposed to feel?

The cap is only as stiff as it needs to function properly in regards to aerodynamics. It's NOT as stiff as the same surface on full-carbon wheels, and so handling that may be appropriate for those other rims may not be appropriate for these. You need to take into account this fact.

That said, despite the ease at which one can flex the cap with your hand, I don't find them generally "fragile".

Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ good all around wheel for tri and road bike use? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
That brings up a question. Had my first ride today with the new wheels. I travel with my bike secured by a fork mount, and my home-made cleaning/ work stand utilizes a fork mount as well. So I was taking my front wheel off a few times. I'm used to some aluminum clinchers and I just grab the whole rim. I'm by no means means putting a lot of force on the fairing, but both times I caught myself holding the rim by the fairing. I quickly tried to hold by just the brake track/tire since you can obviously feel the fairing flex. How sensitive are the wheels to being handles like that? And how hard do you work to get any water out? I leaned them with the drain holes down for a good while.

They caps are actually somewhat stiff in the axial direct (especially as compared to the lateral direction), but you probably don't want to put a lot of concentrated force in one spot on them. I tend to grab them gently with a full 4 fingers in contact.

Yeah leaning them with the drain holes down should work...along with giving them a spin in that position ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next