Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
So really, a government can prescribe how much skin a person must show on the beach? Do. Not. Like.

A really sad state of affairs in what is supposed to be one of the original examples of modern democracy.

It's one thing to limit how much skin one can show. It's another to demand that one show more skin, at risk of criminal charges.

Is that what they are doing with the ban? Would a woman wearing a hat, long sleeved shirt and pants be breaking the law, or is it the specific religious symbol of the burkini that is banned?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from the Daily Telegraph: a burkini is a "full-body, head-covering swimsuit."

the article goes on to quote a French muslim spokesperson: hardline Islamists "don't go to the beach because they refuse to mix with other women in bikinis. It penalises normal Muslims, or just mums taking their kids to the beach."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...for-isil-recruiters/
Quote Reply
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from the Daily Telegraph: a burkini is a "full-body, head-covering swimsuit."

Well, yeah, but that doesn't really answer the question.

It's a religious restriction, not a restriction on modesty per se.

the article goes on to quote a French muslim spokesperson: hardline Islamists "don't go to the beach because they refuse to mix with other women in bikinis. It penalises normal Muslims, or just mums taking their kids to the beach."

Good point.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Their country has been under a constant terror watch and has had a few serious incidents. Its only a symbolic issue, but people are finally saying enough is enough. Banning burkinis is a way of saying "we are still French" and this is not part of being French.

Like I said, pretty sad for a country that is supposed to be one of the modern examples of freedom and democracy. Their chosen symbolic gesture against terrorism is to restrict the religious freedoms of their citizens.

Way to go France.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
It's a religious restriction, not a restriction on modesty per se.

It's a restriction on religious modesty.

It's a ridiculous idea, and shows what happens when you allow fear and tension to override your better judgment by passing laws that fly in the face of freedom to appease a scared populace.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.theguardian.com/...urkini-on-nice-beach

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/24/french-police-make-woman-remove-burkini-on-nice-beach

would love to see some nuns out there in a show of solidarity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, me too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/24/french-police-make-woman-remove-burkini-on-nice-beach

Fucked up things going on in France right now. They're really losing their way.

Slowguy

Last edited by: slowguy: Aug 24, 16 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having a hard time deciding which is more ridiculous the burkini or banning it.
Quote Reply
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I'm having a hard time deciding which is more ridiculous the burkini or banning it.

I think the more ridiculous item is that they were enforcing good "morals" by forcing women to bare more skin. Apparently, covering up is both immoral, and not secular.

Asshats.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I am at the beach here in the USA I see a lot of men covering up. They have long pants (I guess they call it shorts for some reason) and often t-shirts.
Even at the pool you have these men.
What religion are they part of. Church of fast food???
Quote Reply
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
When I am at the beach here in the USA I see a lot of men covering up. They have long pants (I guess they call it shorts for some reason) and often t-shirts.
Even at the pool you have these men.
What religion are they part of. Church of fast food???

And skin cancer prevention, seems pretty common now that lots of my kids light skinned friends where those swimming shirts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

I think the more ridiculous item is that they were enforcing good "morals" by forcing women to bare more skin. Apparently, covering up is both immoral, and not secular.

Asshats.

it really stupid.
Meanwhile the women's who were fined are not paying the fines, it's been paid by someone else.
http://www.independent.co.uk/...-fines-a7203216.html
And the Australian woman who invented it, Aheda Znetti is lashing back (she made a nice buck too)
This is really becoming a something bigger than it should. Not going to help anyone.
https://www.theguardian.com/...-not-to-take-it-away

Almost looks like part of a bikini line..

Last edited by: b4itwascold: Aug 25, 16 5:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
France is not banning the burkini. 15 towns are. And they all have right wing mayors (except for one).
What was more surprising was to hear Prime Minister Manuel Valls saying that it was not 'unconstitutional' for the mayors to ban it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ban has been suspended pending court review for human rights.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the burkini.... It has good sun protection and you don't have to worry about slathering on lots of sunscreen. I would really consider getting one.... I wonder if that would be weird (I am not Muslim). My daughter is very blonde and burns so easily (especially her scalp)- I don't think I could get her to wear it though.

My mom has really bad scars on her legs from an accident when she was a kid- so she won't ever go to the beach or wear a bathing suit....I think it would be good for her too.

It would be fantastic if these became trendy (sorry guys).

Thank goodness I live in a place where we can choose what we want to wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Sideways: Aug 26, 16 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: Burkini ban on French Riviera [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
I really like the burkini.... It has good sun protection and you don't have to worry about slathering on lots of sunscreen. I would really consider getting one.... I wonder if that would be weird (I am not Muslim). My daughter is very blonde and burns so easily (especially her scalp)- I don't think I could get her to wear it though.

My mom has really bad scars on her legs from an accident when she was a kid- so she won't ever go to the beach or wear a bathing suit....I think it would be good for her too.

I was driving before and listened to an interview with the Australian woman who invented it and she said that most of her early customers were women's with fair skin seeking protection from the sun. It actually took some time until the idea caught up with Muslim women.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

would love to see some nuns out there in a show of solidarity

Here ya go, pilgrim.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
The ban has been suspended pending court review for human rights.

Seems like they will have to change their methods.....perhaps they should require all beach patrons to drink wine and smoke cigarettes?
Quote Reply

Prev Next