I'm on fire!!!! (BEST rock scream ever)
Last edited by: toadbra: Aug 18, 16 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
dry heat wrote:
TheForge wrote:
While the first couple of albums are really good, no VH album really has more than 2 classics on it. For instance, you have the cradle will rock and everybody wants some are songs you listen to whenever it comes on. But the rest of the album isn't particularly memorable. I'm sure when I hear the songs, I do associate them with VH and this album, but I can't really recall any.

Van Halen album 1 IMO has the most classics on it. But if you look through the rest of the albums with DLR, you find maybe two classics an album. They are all good, some IM have too many covers. Don't forget, they were a cover band initially, and always added them in to stay true to that.

There is not a bad song on the first two albums.

When DLR was asked why they did a cover of "You're No Good" on Van Halen II he answered "Linda Ronstadt's doing all these other people's songs, so we figured we'd do a Linda ... which is about as close as any of us will get to DOING Linda"

Ed's guitar work saves that song.
Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
RandMart wrote:
When DLR was asked why they did a cover of "You're No Good" on Van Halen II he answered "Linda Ronstadt's doing all these other people's songs, so we figured we'd do a Linda ... which is about as close as any of us will get to DOING Linda"

Ed's guitar work saves that song.

Funny story about that

http://www.vhnd.com/...en-ii/youre-no-good/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffa wrote:
Dave used the same jokes ("I'm gonna **** your girlfriend, pal") and same lines ("I forgot the ****ing words!") for 7 years. He left the band for nearly 30 years, comes back, AND USES THE SAME DAMN LINES! He couldn't come up with ANYTHING new in 3 decades???

Don't forget "Don't you stick your tongue out at ME, little girl ... unless you intend to use it"

Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me clarify.

I went through all the albums (somehow forgot about Fair Warning) and the one that holds up the best toady is WaCF.

Fair Warning in second and VH1 in third.

When the first album came out it blew everyone away and they were never able to blow you away like that again.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffa wrote:
RandMart wrote:
TheForge wrote:
While the first couple of albums are really good, no VH album really has more than 2 classics on it. For instance, you have "...And The Cradle Will Rock" and "Everybody Wants Some" are songs you listen to whenever it comes on. But the rest of the album isn't particularly memorable.

Really???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2euKIcljqMk

It made my heart (and ears) happy that you put "In a Simple Rhyme" first.... my personal fave VH song ever.

I do believe it is the quintessential Van Halen song

Starts off with some acoustic strumming, then Alex starts the engine, propellers spinning, before Ed fires up the power chords and Dave drops some lyrics about lost youth & alienation; a girl that got away

Some nice charging in the bridge as we go to verse two

Dave is happy, partying up with his found love, but somethings still not right, and he's searching again, or maybe not "Now that I found you?"

Interlude: back to acoustic, and Mike's angelic background harmonies, some trippy imagery from Dave

OK, enough of that ... Let's ROCK!!! And pop that bass a little more!!!

Aright we're done ... one last soft part and we're out

or are we?

Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best Van Halen album is....this is an oxymoron

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guarantee VH I satisfies the most.
Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very solid lineup with a lot of talent. I still remember seeing them on Don Kirschner when I was a freshman in HS. Loved the sound, than Perry took over and Rollie left and the band became boring as hell.

RandMart wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
Old Journey (pre Steve Perry's takeover) was a solid rock band with a 70s album rock sound

Because Neal Schon [guitar] and Greg Rollie [keys/vocals] had come from Santana; Ross Valory [bass] worked with Steve Miller, and Aynsley Dunbar [drummer #2 after Prairie Prince of The Tubes] had played with Frank Zappa

Solid lineup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listening to it now, for Eddie's 62nd birthday

Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Wrong. The best Van Halen album is a tie between all the albums with DLR, and the worst one is a tie between all the ones after DLR.

Yup, this.
Quote Reply
Re: The best Van Halen album is.... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Although in my later life I did learn to appreciate some of the more famous van haggar titles. But not the same type og music.

Agreed. I think of it like a good burger and a great veggie burger. Van Halen was never in my top 10, but I really like some of their stuff, with both singers. Like a great veggie burger (they do exist) you can totally appreciate Van Hagar if you're not constantly comparing it to a hamburger. Appreciate them both for what they are.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next