Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power meter survey [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a quarq red 22 and I haven't had any issues with it. It seems to give steady readings... I'm happy with it and would buy it again. I only have a tri bike so it's all I need and can swap between my trainer wheel and outdoor training wheel and my race wheel without worrying about my pm.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went through several within just over a year:

1. Vector 2 - it was ok, easy to switch between bikes. A bit too much drama with calibration and had to Cary a huge torque wrench with me to the races and bike trips, but all doable. All was until my wife has displaced big pods, rendering them useless

2. Pioneer - sounded solid on paper. Unfortunately instead of using accelometers, like everybody else, this one uses magnets attached to the frame with some stickers. I had a chain drop during a race, the magnet has stuck to the chain, chain has wrapped around crankset. 7 min loss on HIM + loss of power data. Fuck that.

3. Vector 2 - due to lack of options I had to go with this one again, because I had an IM race coming up and I really like riding by numbers. Especially long tri. After an hour ride we've hit cobblestone (seriously, felt like Paris-Roubaix for 10 min) and the pod broke off. Rest of the ride no power numbers. No cadence. Limited post race analysis. Fuck that.

4. Rotor 2InPower Flow - I think I am in love (as much as one can be in love with a crank based power meter)

What I should have done (and in theory I knew that, but I am also impulsive sometimes): a total crank / spider / BB based power meter with no external crap. No magnets, pods, clamps or sensors. Best ANT+ and preferably BT based.

Accuracy: as long as the variation is stable, it's ok. Higher variation means you'd better stick to the same system across all bikes.
Battery life: irrelevant
1 or 2 legs: up to you

Best contenders: Quark, Rotor, Power2Max, new Shimano Dura Ace.

NB these are my thoughts on my TT bike. Road bike conditions and environment is more forgiving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotor 3d Power2Max Classic.
Why? Got a great deal here on the classifieds and it freaking works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was using a Power2Max which has worked well for me. I plan to be switching to P1 pedals as I will be renting some bikes in the near future and I would like to have power data.

I also am building up a Flo 30 rear wheel with a Powertap GS hub, so that I can have another power meter option besides the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post! I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked a GS up too :-)

A) Because I couldn't have afforded a PM without the current deal on the GS, B) Because Powertap seem to have a good rep on here with good customer service and C) I only have a 50mm back wheel and have been wondering about building a 90 with a option of a disk cover for a while ...

Crank based power meters were out for me, I didn't want to replace my crank as it pretty bling.

I liked the P1 option, but at £1000 ... ? :-(

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started with a Powertap hub, sold it 2 years ago and got my first Power2max for my road bike and this year I bought another Power2max for my tribike.

As most have said, solid and reliable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2Max. I haven't thought about it for the last year. Everything just works.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend and I must be the exceptions. We both bought P1s here in NZ within a month or two of each other and both of us have had to send them back.

I had a Stages....actually 3 Stages. Rubbish. All sorts of problems.i then used a PT hub which was brilliant. Totally bullet proof. Sold that one so I could use my race wheels on my road and TT bikes.

Bought the P1s and they were great, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed no signal fro nthe right pedal so replaced the battery. Still didn't work. Replaced it again and the left one and still nothing. Am now just waiting for them to be replaced.

I miss them :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started 15 years ago with a Computrainer, then the same year picked up a used Powertap. Over the years I've bought a few more new and used Powertaps. In my current stable I've got 3 wired PTs, one really old one that's been converted to a fixed wheel for the track bike. Another mounted to a 50mm deep rim. In December I picked up a set of P1 pedals and already have 8000+ miles on them. Last week I took delivery of a GS hub - at $300 it was just too cheap to not get. Built up the new wheel over the weekend and gave it a maiden spin Monday. Also have had an Ergomo in the past.

PTs have been pretty much trouble free. The early ones had the bearing issues, and I've had some flaky data issues a few times with the P1 pedals, but honestly they've been pretty stellar, getting well over 20,000 miles on a given hub. Ergomo? What a nightmare.

Took the P1 pedals off the daily training bike Monday to make room for the new GS, and I'll move the pedals to either a TT bike or cross bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several months use with on my Pioneers and I love them. Excellent data, no drops, easy to change chainrings if I wish. Very happy I went with them.

Only thing I've noticed about them that's very different than the PowerTaps is that they are more sensitive to calibration (or rather, lack of calibration) before rides. With my PT wheels, if I forgot to calibrate, maybe the watts were a tiny bit off. But I once forgot to calibrate the Pioneer before a tri one morning when it was fairly cool at the start and my watts were way, way off. Like 80-100 watts off. I was wondering what was wrong with me before I realized what the problem was.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
PowerTap C1 and PowerBeam Pro trainer. The C1 does what it's supposed to outside and the PowerBeam Pro is perfect for ERG mode and use on Zwift.

Almost the same, except I have a PowerSync trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [JoshR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roadbike- Specialized Venge w/Quarq
Tribike- Specialized Shiv w/Quarq
MtnBike- Marin Rocky Ridge 27.5 w/Stages
Trainer- Wahoo Kickr
Last edited by: Hueychief: Dec 15, 16 20:50
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [Hueychief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stages on the road (cx) bike.
P2M on TT bike.
Vortex Smart for ERG trainer needs.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter survey [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road Bike - Vector
TT Bike - Stages
Trainer - Wahoo KickR
Quote Reply

Prev Next